Ribble rising fast

seth49

Reaction score
Fixed price contracts and penalty clauses used to work.
In regard to Whalley as I understand it, the water used to come into the houses up through the floor boards, and to stop this they put concrete floors in taking it up the walls as well, doesn’t seem to have worked though. Plus they had flood doors on each external doorway,

mikench

Reaction score
The river was rushing through at Brockholes on Monday but the level didn't look particularly high. There was nobody fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nothing particularly exceptional on the Swale. No one in this part of the valley has been daft enough to build really close to it anyway.

The fact that the Tees got a bit closer to their record level suggests it may have copped for more.
I'm sure this lad wasn't bothered whether it was a record or not! I bet he doesn't drive through flood water ever again!

However, given that no river record level is that old, you've got to wonder when the records started. Probably when the proper monitors arrived around 1990(ish) onwards. I know I've seen the Swale at or close to record levels a few times. However, I know I've seen the river at much higher levels in the early eighties.