Ribble rising fast

seth49

Reaction score
12CA9BC5-8FDE-4736-9FD4-8DE353C2F015.jpg

Really heavy rain all night, ribble is coming up fast and looks like going a lot higher, this is mainly local rain so far, still a lot to come from the hills yet.

John Keane

Reaction score
Brockholes Nature Reserve will be shut then. Not that anyone in their right mind is going twitching or walking in this!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Tyne, Wear, Tees, Swale, Ure, Nidd, Wharfe, and Eden have all shot up in a similar manner. I don't think the rain was anything like as localised as you might think.

seth49

Reaction score
Looks like it’s bad everywhere, just looked at ribble height again looks like we may get a new record height for ribble today.

CD754355-2669-483F-92C5-2426398AD90F.jpg
The top black line is the highest ever recorded.

mikench

Reaction score
Not good at all. We have just had an absolute deluge of rain hail and sleet which is already forming puddles. I hate weather like this. The temp has fallen from 11c to 7c in 10 minutes.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s amazing me looking out the window as the gale is bashing our garden and trees that there are birds flying around, a few show offs that enjoy extreme flying.

The bad one

Reaction score
Just about right for chuck off Ribchester Front and a big girl coming out to play.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If on the same spot as yesterday i'd have had 18ft of water over my head !

Last edited:

Reaction score
Just a tad then Ian,we havent had any rain for near on a week and a half to speak of,had a fair bit last night and at least three trees down within five minutes of the house...

seth49

Reaction score
Looks like today’s height might be a new record, according to the EA river height site, looks to have beaten the record by about three inches.

Tried to take our granddaughter home earlier and got turned back by the police, lots of floodwater on the road plus debris, try again tomorrow although there’s a snow and ice warning for tomorrow.

seth49

Reaction score
Yes there was one near here on a water I fish, winner had 34 pounds of carp and bream, not for me though I had to work out in it before I retired, pick my days now though, had my share of being cold and wet, I’m quite prepared to wait for better weather these days.

Reaction score
Im afraid ive fished in my share of bad weather and like you Seth i wouldnt endanger my life or car/tackle,one such day i sheltered in a spinney on a river a large hawthorn keeping the wind off of myself and my brolly,after an hour there was a large cracking sound and bang a branch around four inches in diameter came straight through my brolly and stuck around four inches in the ground,missing me by around ten inches or so,needless to say lesson learnt,just to add i was at least 8-10yds from said branches and more from the trunks....

seth49

Reaction score
Close call there whitty, see the ribble has dropped a couple of metres overnight, it soon runs of nowadays to quickly really, they used to say it took a week to run off, but with all the draining and tree planting it’s soon up and down nowadays.

mikench

Reaction score
I gather Whalley has been inundated after the storm like Hebden Bridge. What a shame and one wonders just what flood prevention measures costing millions were carried out. They failed miserably.

john step

Reaction score
Just when the Lower Trent was getting back to a better level BOSH up it goes again. I bet its perfect come March 15th.

steve2

Reaction score
I gather Whalley has been inundated after the storm like Hebden Bridge. What a shame and one wonders just what flood prevention measures costing millions were carried out. They failed miserably.

I would say that it is impossible for any flood prevention to hold back the water that came down over the last few days. It would be cheaper to move the houses.

Reaction score
Wont matter in June Steve,the last couple of weeks of the season,up to shortly before they spawn fish are feeding hard,after spawning they are trying to get back in condition again,thats why fishing is often poor for 3/4 weeks....

mikench

Reaction score
I would say that it is impossible for any flood prevention to hold back the water that came down over the last few days. It would be cheaper to move the houses.

It certainly wouldn't when the existing one is removed and replaced by sandbags whilst the new one is constructed at a pedestrian rate. It's no wonder the residents of Mytholmroyd are so angry as they have been inundated 3 times in 8 years and millions have been spent to no avail. As an aside I remain bemused at the length of time any infrastructure work takes in this country. It's as though any successful government tender has to offer to take as long as possible, to overcharge whenever practicable and cause as much human misery and inconvenience to the public as is capable of achievement. Not like any tender I've ever seen. Look at HS2 , motorway works, particularly the most inappropriately named smart motorways, flood defences and defence contracts. If the Chinese can build a hospital in 2 weeks from scratch, The Emirates a new runway and terminal in months why can we not even agree to start a project for 10 years. There is now talk of a bridge from Scotland to NI ie from nowhere to nowhere. Better build a metaphorical bridge between the parts of the UK first.