Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Angling, The never ending Journey

For me it most likely began when a nine year old school friend said one day “Lets go darn Trent fishing” and that was it. Initially it was just something else to do and not be taken seriously. What tackle I had was cadged, borrowed or bought and very basic. As a teenager, I began match fishing, and that changed everything. I started to look what other, more experienced anglers, were doing and using, and took most of it on board. Back then the range of gear available was limited and most serious anglers augmented what could be bought, by making their own. This was something I began to copy. I made floats, tied hooks, even made myself a Spanish Reed rod. When I started work, as an apprentice engineer, I had more scope then and made rod rests, bank sticks, disgorgers, swimfeeders, leads and all manner of gadgets. Some worked, most didn't, but it got the mind ticking and channelled towards ever expanding and trying to improve my gear. This continues today and produces interesting off shoots. Rod bags tend to deteriorate, so I had a shot at making one. From rod bags I progressed to making a bait apron and wallets for floats. I made leatherette cases for my fixed spool and centre pin reels. This sent me off on a sewing tangent and I had a go at making a man’s shirt. So from a modest beginning, my angling journey has taken diverse twists and turns and because of it I have acquired skills I would not have expected. So far, I am happy to say, the final destination is nowhere in sight, so I continue to continue. Where has your sojourn taken you? Pete.
    Casternets

Default Re: Angling, The never ending Journey

From a pond in the middle of a field catching sticklebacks on bits of worm to the River Spey catching salmon. Along the way, coarse fishing in ponds, canals, rivers. Diverted to fly fishing for trout and learned to tie my own flies, turned my hand to beach match fishing and to boat fishing in the sea. Enjoyed pike fishing and barbel fishing in all weathers and now don’t go fishing in any of the weathers I did as a younger man!

A few perch from the cut and some trout from a local lake and then apart from mackerel, horrible dog fish from the sea, it was a blank until 2015. It's still a journey and with far too much luggage. I've got the gear but still no idea. One of the guys in my local AD said most things in the shop were not bait for fish but for anglers. He told me in the vernacular" it's no good having the fanciest trunks at the swimming baths if you can't swim"

I have deleted the expletives for the sensitive souls among us. I always say it is better to arrive than to travel ; I'll make an exception for fishing.

I only started a year ago.

I'm almost 30 now and my dad has always been a fisherman.

He always offered to take me and I went a few times as a kid but he said he didn't want to "ram it down my throat" as some fathers do with their own interests like football and the such and wanted to leave it to me to decide if I wanted to fish or not.

Now I'm a bit older and I'm pretty much "hooked" on angling, I can't help but feel a bit of regret about all the years missed.

At least I'm experiencing it all now though and dad's still around to give me advice.

Last year I went at least once a week, it's slowed down through the winter but I'm keen to get going again for this new year and see what's in store.

I've got a few achievable goals for the year so let's see how they come along.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I started as a kid with a bit of help from my uncle who was a keen angler. No one else in my family when I was growing up but I was always interested , even when I parked it in my twenties . I fished those great farm ponds with lovely little crucian carp as a kid plus a bit of trout fishing in the local brook . Now I just love fishing rivers and probably enjoy fishing as much as I ever did . I feel a bit sorry for people who don't have an interest outside of the ordinary to get excited about.

Care to share them?

Mostly fish the Severn and Vyrnwy now , used to fish the Dane a lot plus the Weaver . The Severn is my favourite , plenty to go at.

Was introduced to angling as a kid by my Dad. Dad happened to be the manager (glorified gopher, logistics and fixer as far as i could see) of the Leicester Likely Lads during the early seventies heyday of Ivan Marks et al.Dad was not just keen, he was bloody obsessed with fishing and a very good matchman in his own right. I used to feel sorry for kids who had to learn it all by themselves without any guidance. We went everywhere-the fens, the trent, ouse Soar etc. but what stuck with me was the local river Wreake-a tiny river which punched well above its weight and this is the fishing I do to this day-roving with light bomb rod and stick float set up for chub, roach etc. Do i have any ambition to branch out to other disciplines? Frankly, no-I have what I want and that will do for me. Cannot imagine life without fishing.

Interesting post Bracket, certainly got me thinking.

I started fishing in the early seventies with cane and centrepin before progressing to a woolies special fibreglass spinning rod and fixed spool.

Since then I have been fortunate to fish many places in India and Thailand, I once fished under the bridge on the river Kwai.

As for fishing leading me elsewhere in life. Travelling in the Himalayas on some of the World's most dangerous roads, seeing the war graves in Kanchanaburi and the way other cultures live their lives has certainly had an impact on mine.

They have both also taught me the true meaning of the phrase "necessity is the mother of invention"

Having said that, a palm sized roach will do for me any day.
    Last edited by The Sogster; 12-02-2020 at 03:04.
    This guy was fishing over a flower bed. I went up to him and said, "How many have you caught today? "
    He said, "You're the ninth!" (T. Cooper)

I think mostly it is the places it has taken me to, valleys in Scotland, off beat places in the middle of nowhere with strange names or sometimes they don't have a name, normal people don't go there, windswept remote beaches, the middle of the English channel. I would never have experienced these places if it wasn't for fishing.
    Also,like Pete, it has led me into making things and not just floats, trying different ideas etc. And we think about science a lot more as well maybe without realizing it, physics, motion dynamics, chemistry, Archimedes etc so, we learn more than just how to catch a fish; certainly it is journey without an end.
    Last edited by markg; 12-02-2020 at 06:26.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast