Feeder rod for big fish

Reaction score
Ian,ive had a fair few biggish barbel on the smuggler,to be fair i hadnt used it for ages and gave it an airing,I rang Hardy before I bought the rod and told them I wouldnt buy one unless they gave me some idea of the test curve,after a bit of pushing he come up with 'about' 1lb 10ozs,whatever it is its pokier than my 1lb 12oz torrix,i actually think it would have been great fun on the Dartford angling Centre 1lb test curve rod,hairy yes,fun definitely...;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian,ive had a fair few biggish barbel on the smuggler,to be fair i hadnt used it for ages and gave it an airing,I rang Hardy before I bought the rod and told them I wouldnt buy one unless they gave me some idea of the test curve,after a bit of pushing he come up with 'about' 1lb 10ozs,whatever it is its pokier than my 1lb 12oz torrix,i actually think it would have been great fun on the Dartford angling Centre 1lb test curve rod,hairy yes,fun definitely...;)

Whatever it's test curve, you know to use something lighter next time. I don't like using heavy rods if I can help it, but I know it wouldn't be too heavy for legering on my local rivers, not that I leger very often.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Great to hear someone is using the rod Ive been looking at. Would you say it has a good action for larger carp etc too? Just don't want anything likely to lock up. I guess feeder rods generally have a stiffer butt section for casting but would like to find one a bit more forgiving. Any feedback would be great, thanks!

I asked about the rod at the northern angling show, Cadence was opposite the stand I was on. Yes the 13' rod is suitable, also depending on waters used the 14' is a brilliant rod , I had a waggle with both, and the 14' Seemed a lot more powerful with a lot of backbone. The 13' rod is ideal for barbel on Severn,

ben10

Reaction score
I asked about the rod at the northern angling show, Cadence was opposite the stand I was on. Yes the 13' rod is suitable, also depending on waters used the 14' is a brilliant rod , I had a waggle with both, and the 14' Seemed a lot more powerful with a lot of backbone. The 13' rod is ideal for barbel on Severn,

Great, thanks for the feedback! How does it feel overall? Balanced? Well built etc? May well look at purchasing a 13ft no. 3 if it's up to the job. Shame I'm unlikely to be able to give it a real test until the new season :(

Thanks again for taking the time to have a waggle!