Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elastics

Default Re: Elastics

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    Anyone remember Zim elastic ?
    Lol how many times did you hold them up to the light and say "hey, which one of these is thinner?"

Yea I remember, I dont miss it I'm not going to lie
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

I’ve got Daiwa Purple Hydro in one top kit of my Shimano Beastmaster Margin 8.5m. In another top kit I’ve got Preston Hollo Green and I use this fishing out in the water on the deck, with the extension to 10m, where there’s F1’s & carp. In my third top kit I’ve got Preston Hollo Red which I mostly use for pellet fishing up in the water when it gets frantic. All top kits have side pullers so the Preston Hollo can cope with virtually anything.

Well I'm largely with Golden eagle in the keep it simple and Kev in the light elastics but I fish for carp on light kit, I honestly dont know how you get fish out on the solid 18 and 20. Back in the day when i used solids double 8 or single 14 was as heavy as I went. I've had carp to high teens with little bother.

My lad taught me (I'm not as good as him) how to play fish on soft rods and light elastics. I use more powerful rods than him but elastics I really dont like heavy elastic. My rule is simple, everytime I strike into a target size fish I want to see a foot of elastic minimum be than an 1 oz roach or a 5lb carp. With puller kits it's easy to adjust tension, I've completely changed now I use hollow NG and Preston for everything. I dont fish for blades on the cut anymore so my now so my slip no2 elastic dont get used anymore.

My kits are in strength order

NG 4-8 blue - small fish elastic
    NG white amber core - fantastic elastic for this time of the year
    Preston 11h - all round catch everything in summer, carp in winter
    Ng green amber core - carp
    Ng black amber core - big carp

Margin lump pole
    Preston 15h - for lumps 8lb plus

That's pretty much it, most of my fishing now is done on 11h and white amber core
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I’d say 10-12 slik should really be labelled 8-10, and that’s a little light for my taste in fishing paste? What hooklengths are you marrying it up with?
    With 10 to 12 slik I use .15 for carp from small to15lb, it's a snag free water. Of course bigger fish take a little longer to get out but I'm never in a rush.
    I have always thought to fish lighter lines affords more bites, if I'm getting bites I know I'm on the right track. I like big hooks with paste and small hooks with pellet. Pulling fish before they are ready is not how I fish.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

One water I go on, the carp are at side of platform in the rushes, the platform sits in the water so basically you can fish behind yourself, this is where the hit n hold short length of 18 comes in. The 17h is for far side mudline and stick ups , others mainly for open water,

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    One water I go on, the carp are at side of platform in the rushes, the platform sits in the water so basically you can fish behind yourself, this is where the hit n hold short length of 18 comes in. The 17h is for far side mudline and stick ups , others mainly for open water,
    I've fished venues with those horrible platforms, I try to avoid them. I absolutely hate them anyone who has read my posts regularly will know that one of the problems with these platforms is the support poles at the front of them. These act as beacons for running fish to head towards, particularly perch. Therefore in these circumstances i can see your need for heavy kit, unfortunately I dont understand why fisheries fit them? I mean it's not good for the fish heavy kit, the heavier we fish the more pressure we put on the fishes mouth. And let's be honest there's a grand total of zero reasons why we need them with modern boxes with all the features on them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12