Anyone fishing?

rayner

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words chaps.
She's coping very well with the news we got, verging on stoic.
Chrish, I've been trying to reply to your message. For some reason my messages are stuck, I will reply back to you when it settles. It's happened before so it may be straight sometime today.

dicky123

Reaction score
Gary. I was in a similar situation last year. Big operation with lots of small complications, but I'm ok now. Its amazing what they can and do with cancer my friend. I wish her all the best, as I know the fear and worry she has right now.

Pleased to see others in the same boat with no fishing like myself. For many of us it a drug, I will visit the lake with bread next week as I posted about. Oddly the canal is like milk, wonder what has caused that>

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The rivers are right out of sorts in my area, Kent. So I have ventured out on a club lake near Edenbridge. It’s a bit gusty and not too warm. Sparsely feeding hemp and micro pellets with a small piece of lo-salt impregnated spam, not a touch yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniel121

Reaction score
No I have other stuff to do, if I actually make it out of my hibernation coma. I'm doing and spending so little that I'm actually saving some money on my bare baseline income. Quite handy when I have a few fishing tickets to pay for. Also a good indicator as to what might be required for full retirement.
You went for semi retirement then mate? Excellent choice, lifes too short to not grab every moment, the older you get the less money you need, trust me. I worked for too long, I have the time now but not the health and energy.

daniel121

Reaction score
I'm still on my self imposed halt to fishing, didn't expect to get on the bank until March.
I have no clue if I will get back fishing. My wife's test results are not good, waiting for a date to remove kidney . Got a tumour in her other kidney that can be treated.
A stressful time.

Thought with you mate, getting older is a bitch.

Since 2013 it's been endless, my wife got Ill, then pulled through. Back end of 2018 I did then got better. Its life unfortunately stay strong, i had the dreaded c word on my bladder but beat it, if I can you wife can mate :)

Thoughts with you

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I've replied twice and just realised both are off topic, :eek:mg:

No I've not been on the bank since new year, I brought some bait to fish the river but kira stopped that. I fished a commie a few times round xmas but then got this dreaded bug that took ages to go, it just keeps coming back.

I'll get on the bank soon I'm ready :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
You went for semi retirement then mate? Excellent choice, lifes too short to not grab every moment, the older you get the less money you need, trust me. I worked for too long, I have the time now but not the health and energy.

Self employed in a pretty seasonal business. I don't actively chase work. On average, I work hard for about three months of the year. The hope is that once I hit 55, I'll not even have to pretend any longer. I watched a few too many friends die before fifty and some die within a year or two of getting a state pension.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Just buried a friend before his state pension last week...

mikench

Reaction score
Yes both Gordon and I had a day fishing today. See the HDYGO thread for more riveting detail:rolleyes:

Aknib

Reaction score
I've just been out into the garden and spent five minutes collecting fifty or so good sized lobs from around the compost heap ready for tomorrow, various options of where to go and think I have an idea but one thing's for sure...

It won't be the river!

As long as I get a day beside the water i'll be happy, a fish will be a bonus.

I must say, I've no issues getting lobbies by the look if things, the whole area was riddled with them and I had the pick of the biggest with hundreds left so it bodes well for a free and plentiful future supply.

daniel121

Reaction score
Self employed in a pretty seasonal business. I don't actively chase work. On average, I work hard for about three months of the year. The hope is that once I hit 55, I'll not even have to pretend any longer. I watched a few too many friends die before fifty and some die within a year or to of getting a state pension.

Yes, unfortunatly this happens and happens more often than the average 40 somthing year old like yourself realises. I recall a conversation with you about this sometime in the past, you were talking about the possibility of semi retirement. I dunno how long ago or how the subject arose, probably my off topic babbling.

Anyway, you have certainly got the right idea mate. However retirement isnt retiring, it's about being financially free to do whatever you want. I started to slow down (ie leaving management) but I didn't do the important slowing down bit I still worked too hard, physically harder. I thought I was doing the right thing. If I had my time again I'd pack up earlier.

All I'll say is, keep active and fit dont fall to what so many do, I have seen too many people retire and die in months. They sit down do nothing and waste away. I think that's why women outlive us, a womams work is never done and all that.

Take care me duck

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Anyone fishing? Yes I never stop all year. Might get more blanks this time of year but its still good to be out.