Spinning on a standard rod?

Harrison1986

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for a bit of advice on trying a bit of spinning/lure fishing.

Only started out fishing last summer, mainly carp, tench, roach, etc. using float, ledger and method feeder fishing.

This year I've bought a new rod and reel (Korum All Rounder and Korum Axis reel) for this type of fishing, but keen to try a bit of trout fishing on the float and hopefully a spinner. Can I just chuck a swivel on the end of my mainline, and then attach a spinner, or do I need a dedicated spinning rod? If so, why?

I was thinking of trying fly fishing but I've already spent up on the rod and reel, she'll kill me if I come home with another rod! Cheers!

steve2

Reaction score
Any rod can used for a lot more than their so called. No reason why your should not be for spinning.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Many years ago I started lure fishing with a 11ft 1.75lb TC carp rod, it wasn't ideal but I still caught fish.

Harrison1986

Reaction score
Yeah that's similar to what I have, 12ft, 1.5tc. What do you mean exactly by not ideal?

I did read an article saying a lure rod should have a low casting weight, like 20/30grams? But the rod I have says 5oz, which is 140g.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Yeah that's similar to what I have, 12ft, 1.5tc. What do you mean exactly by not ideal?

I did read an article saying a lure rod should have a low casting weight, like 20/30grams? But the rod I have says 5oz, which is 140g.

The rod was heavy, floppy and slow.

The casting weight of the rod depends upon the size of lure you're casting, I regularly use lures for pike around the 100g mark and they're not heavy on the grand scale of pike lures. For perch then a rod rated to 15g would be ideal

seth49

Reaction score
When I used to game fish, I often used a greys prodigy barbel rod in 1 1/2 lb test curve, used it for spinning,worming, and trotting a float with shrimp for salmon, did the job fine, caught plenty of salmon to high doubles, plus sea trout and brown trout, at twelve foot it was ok for all these methods.

If I could only fish with one rod this would be the one I’d pick, had plenty of barbel and carp with it as well.

steve2

Reaction score

Bit surprised that your rod says casting up to 5ozs seem a bit powerful for a all round rod rated 1.5tc.
One thing to remember with spinning is that you will be doing a lot more casting and a light weight outfit is easier to use.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for a bit of advice on trying a bit of spinning/lure fishing.

Only started out fishing last summer, mainly carp, tench, roach, etc. using float, ledger and method feeder fishing.

This year I've bought a new rod and reel (Korum All Rounder and Korum Axis reel) for this type of fishing, but keen to try a bit of trout fishing on the float and hopefully a spinner. Can I just chuck a swivel on the end of my mainline, and then attach a spinner, or do I need a dedicated spinning rod? If so, why?

I was thinking of trying fly fishing but I've already spent up on the rod and reel, she'll kill me if I come home with another rod! Cheers!

You will probably need a wire trace.

john step

Reaction score
You will probably need a wire trace.

Yes definitely a wire trace unless its a commie type water that only contain perch and no pike.
I used to steer clear of spinning/lure fishing due to back aches until I bought a purpose built very light rod job. Now its a joy. Another Dave and Kevin Perkins helped with advice and some light lures.

A lighter rod doesn't have to cost a lot.

Harrison1986

Reaction score
Cheers for all your replies, think I'm gonna get a spinning rod (daiwa d shock combo) not too expensive.

I'm not really planning on going after pike but I'm gonna be fishing in the lochs on the Highlands so there's plenty about. There anyway of avoiding them?

If I'm set up with a spinner/lure for trout, I'm gonna need a wire trace incase I get a pike on then?