Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does flooding change rivers?

How does all this flooding alter your local river?
    Do the fish always return to the places they were, are will they be downstream and find new homes.
    Swims must change with tons of gravel and slit being moved around.
    I remember returning to some of my favourite swims after a flood and finding the deep holes had become shallow gravel runs.
    New fish may well turn up in your river section especially with flooded carp fisheries.
    So those swims and fish you fished for years may no longer be there.

I suppose that is what makes river fishing so much more interesting than lakes which never alter from one year to the next.

Default Re: Does flooding change rivers?

It also shifts horrendous snags around.

My local can, and usually does, change with almost every flood. Usually, the more significant the flood, the more obvious the changes. The very minimum I expect to see is shifted gravel/cobbles. The disappearance (or appearance) of large boulders, floodbanks, old bridge footings and huge old trees is not unusual. The river altering course fairly significantly is not especially unusual, especially in a big flood.

The most dramatic occurrence on one of the local rivers happened just before Christmas.
    Angling: Something fishy going on along the River Ure | Yorkshire Evening Post
    It didn't happen during a particularly big flood, though it's obviously the product of decades worth of flooding and erosion, not just the overnight event that it first appears to be. About a mile and a half of meander lost in a night.

Been thinking exactly the same, some of the coast too. Walked along the beach this morning, the sea is turbulent and angry looking, at Hythe the two storms have washed away the shingle beach.

Blog Entries

I can remember fishing a swim on the H.Avon at Ellingham on the Somerley estate,this swim was around 12-13ft deep under your feet,good chub and barbel looked tiny when you looked in there with poloroids,for years the the swim never changed,then one August after heavy flooding during the previous winter i turned up to find the swim had filled in and was only 18ins deep,incredible....

Some rivers change much more than others. The substrate and bankings are a huge factor.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    It also shifts horrendous snags around.
    It certainly does! I fished a favourite barbel swim - a few miles above where you go - last summer, and played the first one to the bank, where it snagged me up 3' below the surface (I could see my bomb) in 12' of water!. It seems a tree being carried downstream had lodged in the swim, making it too risky to fish.

The Dane, where I used to fish above Northwich, is a series of loops and meanders, and I was shocked to find one morning that the river had cut through and cut off a loop that had had some super swims for chub and barbel.

Apart from the effect on the river, I believe the access track to one stretch I fish these days has been wiped out, but I've yet to go and see what's become of it.

Last year in south france, a trout river was left entirely empty.

We got 2 extreme flooding episodes in the thames valley, in January 2013 and in Januray 2014. From the following spring fishing results were awful. Whether for trout or perch notably. I suppose the river was literally washed out. Although the too hot summers that followed really did change rivers as well.

On this subject it's not only abnormal floodings but also heat waves that redistribute fish populations.

It's what I'm interested in when checking a river after something unusual. Then, whether the details of a river have changed, moved etc, it's almost every year anyway.
    You've never seen dawn. The real dawn. Only the angler knows the exact taste of the morning, the taste of a dawning spring day's bread and coffee. He's the only one having the exorbitant privileges. (René Fallet)

Most of my local rivers are very mobile, parts of them can be unrecognisable after winter floods.

Blog Entries

Kev the Dane is classed as the most Geomophically active river in the UK. This is due to the sandy/sandstone substraight soil it runs through and over.

50+ years ago before I understood how rivers work, and I had hair and good looks, I arrived at Swettenham and the river was in a big flood. I walked down from the bridge to the righthand bend at the bottom of what under normal conditions was a lovely glide of 50 yards and 3-4 ft deep of pristine stick float water.
    The noise was deafening with a scrapping, grinding sound. As this section of river was to fast to fish I went up river to what was a slower deeper section.

The next time I fished this section of river I was shocked to find the pristine stick float run of 50 yards had gone completely and turned into a 50 yard length of course gravel and large football sized boulders. Clearly, the noise I'd heard in the flood was the gravel and boulders being moved from, I known not where, banging and crashing as they came to rest on what was the glide.
    It was on seeing this awesome sight of what had happened under the flood that the penny dropped to he shear power of what floodwater can do to a rivers course. And probably the trigger to me setting off on the road to understanding the Geomorphology and Hydromorphology of how rivers really work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast