What type of fishing are you really bad at?

theartist

Reaction score
Be honest, what have you tried that you really haven't got yet, or are trying to learn, or feel that you will never have....and why?

I'll kick it off with Legering - I just haven't got the patience, sad really as I used to like sitting there with a feeder when bream were the sought after fish back in the day, wasn't good at it just saw the appeal. Also lure fishing I just feel I'm bad at it despite getting the odd pike and perch over the years I just don't think I've got it takes to be like somoene like Neil1970 who smashes it

What's your nemesis?

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
And lures for me, too. More than once I've thought how great to wander the banks footloose and fancy free, and bought little rods and a stock of weird metal, plastic or rubber baits. I've been to bits of the Trent full of pike and perch, but I can pretty well guarantee any lure I cast into this river I never see again. I might as well cut out the trip to the tackle shop and just throw the money in the river. I was 15 when I last caught a fish on a spinner.

Dropshotting with worms is a different matter, and I catch loads. All around 4 oz.

ian g

Reaction score
Never tried fly fishing , I inherited some gear from my cousin but have never really given it a go . I enjoy lure fishing but wouldn't claim any to be any good at , I made the mistake of catching a nice perch put of my local cut and thought this is easy , how wrong was I . Not the best at casting in general which is why I like fishing the pin.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s taken me a while to realise, but more or less any form of fishing that has long inactive periods, (long being twenty minutes or more), so this will include most forms of legering and sitting back waiting for a bite. Only just a few moments ago a pal on Facebook was pulling my leg about the fact I won’t chuck a lead into the sea and wait an eternity for my rod tip to move. This is why I love trotting, lure fishing, and fishing the whip pellet waggler style, all constant action.

There is just the odd occasion on a hot summer day, turn the alarm on, get comfy and.......zzzzzzz.

Reaction score
All of it...particularly wet fly fishing and buzzers,just dont have a clue what im trying to achieve....

rich66

Reaction score
Lures, I’ve caught on them but never to any great success. I had one day when I caught 10 or so little perch and then one around 2 1/2lb and thought I’d got it. Since then it’s been a fast downward slope.
Feeder fishing is still a bit of an ongoing experiment, I’m not very good at it and tend to favour float fishing

ian g

Reaction score
Lures, I’ve caught on them but never to any great success. I had one day when I caught 10 or so little perch and then one around 2 1/2lb and thought I’d got it. Since then it’s been a fast downward slope.
Feeder fishing is still a bit of an ongoing experiment, I’m not very good at it and tend to favour float fishing

I was the same with the lures, I used to fish a mere near me that was like tap water , I'd regularly catch 20 or 30 perch and a few pike , colour in the water and I really struggle.

Gaston664

Reaction score
I have only been fishing regularly for about a year. Plenty of carp on various methods and plenty of other species to.

Every time I've tried to catch a pike on a lure it's been a failure!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
Can't be bothered with carp fishing. One time I did and had my share but not any more now just too many of them.

john step

Reaction score
Used to be lures but I have improved over the last couple of years.
I have caught quite a few trite fluff chucking in the past but I could never cast very far.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not as competent at legering as I could be, but I simply don't enjoy it enough to bother doing it.

I'm an utterly incompetent lure angler. I gave it a good go in the first burst of hype I remember (mid 90s jerkbaits and the like). I was so singularly unsuccessful then that the latest burst of fashionability (drop shotting) has not been remotely tempting.

The only type of fishing, that I'm not good at, but I'd actually like to be proficient in is slider fishing.

The Runner

Reaction score
Breadpunch on canals

Hardly ever got it even half right in a match, just could never work out the feeding anything like as well as I could on blood & joker or squatt

mikench

Reaction score
Most if not all. I aim to try lure fishing properly this year and more river fishing next season but I'm all talk and what I am passable at takes over all my good intentions Time and again. If the only enjoyment to be had was catching and being utterly proficient in doing so, I reckon I wouldn't bother.

rayner

Reaction score
In all my years fishing I tried almost every genre. I've enjoyed doing everyone no matter how bad I was at any. My trouble is I lose patience very easily. Being bad at a certain genre of angling has never been an issue for me, the only issue is, do I enjoy it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For myself it has to be sea fishing. I used to go on monthly trips with my first father-in-law but was never any good at it. It made no difference if we fished from a boat or the shore it just never clicked with me.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Lure fishing for me too.....in all its various guises inc dropshotting. I have tried it from time to time at various stages in my angling career and though I have caught a few fish it is only a few. I get the principles but when I am bankside I never seem to really understand what it is I am trying to do and why.

I'm a reasonably competent trite angler and though I rarely use trite lures flies are, in essence, artificial lures and I am completely at ease fishing those. I have decided life is too short for me to try to get my head round "proper" lure fishing now.

John Keane

Reaction score
I am c#@p at lure fishing for pike, perch, bass, etc. Conversely I will fish a fly all day for pike or bass as I have confidence in the method even though you can’t cast nearly as far.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bullheads - the bu99ers seem to spend all day hiding under stones............................