Catapult

chrissh

Reaction score
After sort through my bit a paces, I have found that my guru catapults elastic have perished again this will be the second time I have had to replace the elastic in under a year

Have you any tried and tested recommendations

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've found drennan to be decent catties and they seem to last for quite some time. I once had a fox catty and that lasted years before I lost it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have around 15 of various makes, none Guru, Drennan, Middy, the river king and canal king, Daiwa, all have different strengths of elastic in them and different pouches, The main ones I use I have doubled up on.

nottskev

Reaction score
I get a lot of mileage out of my Drennan catapults, and the elastic lasts a long time.

As a comparison, I bought a Seymo catapult last season - I wanted a flat mesh pouch - and the elastic lasted no time.

I'm not a big fan of Drennan gear, but I haven't found better catties.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m absolutely hopeless with a catapult, doesn’t matter what make of catty, or what type of bait, the bait invariably end up in my lap.

Reaction score
I bought some natural coloured elastic from China,it was cheap and lasts well,just measure your elastic diameter,wall thickness and put a search on fleabay...replacement elastics from our manufacturers are a rip off,big style...

ian g

Reaction score
I bought some natural coloured elastic from China,it was cheap and lasts well,just measure your elastic diameter,wall thickness and put a search on fleabay...replacement elastics from our manufacturers are a rip off,big style...

I dis the same myself , I think after reading about it on hear

john step

Reaction score
I have a Drennan and Guru catapults which are a vast improvement because the elastic comes out the top of the arms. A vast improvement on the old style.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've tried loads of different catapults over the years. Without doubt, the worst has been the Guru. It's not a bad catty, but they just don't last long enough.

The best of the bunch have invariably been Drennan of one kind or another. On a bit of a go back in time whim, I bought one of the bog standard Drennan Feederpults last year. These are decidedly old fashioned now, but I reckon it's as good as, if not better than, anything I've ever used.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been using the drennan feeder pults for years now, only replaced them as i've lost 'em.
I think I have two at the moment. I did have to cut some of the laccy of each one because the rubber had perished. I just pushed it back on the fittings and they're fine, infact I like 'em better with the lacky bands a bit shorter. I get the ones with the black pouch, not the mesh thing.

mikench

Reaction score
I have had the guru pult since I started and whilst the elastic has perished at the frame , I have just cut off the frayed end and shortened it. I have a few Drennan models including a boilie pult which is like new. Gordon kindly modified a Drennan gb pult which fires your gb the same distance.

I also use an ezfeeda which I like the best but it does go through elastic. I read somewhere that the elastic perishes in uv light, changes in temperature and , of coarse, under expansion. My underpants bear testimony to that analysis.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Got two Guru catapults and there’s nothing wrong with them. Had The Incredible Pult (ridiculous name) the strong green one and the orange lighter catty for 3 seasons and they’re both still fine.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the elastic perishes in uv light, changes in temperature and , of coarse, under expansion. My underpants bear testimony to that analysis.:rolleyes

:

:jumpy::scared::fear:.....too much info....:painkiller::bolt::bolt::bolt:

rayner

Reaction score
Tigger mentioned it, pult elastics work better for me when they are shorter than the length when they are bought. Drennan are my choice, I've had other makes and keep going back to Drennan.
On average elastics don't last too long, the times you use them reduces the longevity of elastics.
I'm forever pinging pellets when feeder fishing, waggler fishing up in the water gets a few more pellets, maggot waggler fishing, mostly my pult is in permanent use. the only time I don't need a pult is when I pole fish, then it's either a cup or a chucker.
I use a pult a lot more now than I did when I river fished. Then I mostly managed with a chucker.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Mainly use a Drennan match which needs new elastic about once a year, I can live with that. The only other was a Guru match type, the elastic snapped after about three sessions.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Guru for me, orange and grey ones, elastic life seems okay. Always try not to leave exposed except in use.

edsurf

Reaction score
my elastic went on my guru catty twice which is a shame as i like it, Drennan do decent cattys

chrissh

Reaction score
I have read all your posts and I think my question has been answered I tend to leave my catapult in direct sunlight that explains why Im going through the elastic fast
Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Blimey,we are going to have to find a fishery with a UV filter...lol.

rayner

Reaction score
My catapult elastic is permanently in direct sunshine. I have it fastened to an extended leg on my box, it sits there all day. I have no option so if it is deteriorating through sunlight I'll just have to cope. I'll have to coat my elastic in Sun cream :wh