Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Tackle maintenance

Does anyone else remember linseed oiling nets and repairing them every close season. I would also strip down all my reels, change rod eyes, repair cork handles, clean what ever other fishing tackle I had and make a list of what was needed for the new season. There would always be a new rod and reel on it
    Now it may get a wipe over and certainly don’t need to make a list.

Blog Entries

I remember oiling keep nets and back then the local tackle shop had a pervasive aroma of linseed oil and ammonia from the gentles.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

The oil aroma was distinct in all tackle shops, I don't miss the old tiny knotted nets from that time.
    The opening of the season got everyone buzzing back then.
    Even in those days cleaning tackle was not a good idea. Mind you we only had to wait a couple of weeks to fish in Yorkshire. Reservoirs and rivers which held trout were open to us.

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    Mind you we only had to wait a couple of weeks to fish in Yorkshire. Reservoirs and rivers which held trout were open to us.
    You can still fish for trout with worms in Yorkshire rivers. Many riparian owners don't allow it, but the bye laws still do. The coarse season ends tonight. On the 22nd of March I could be back to trotting the river with a worm. The river is genuinely closed to fishing for a grand total of six days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    You can still fish for trout with worms in Yorkshire rivers. Many riparian owners don't allow it, but the bye laws still do. The coarse season ends tonight. On the 22nd of March I could be back to trotting the river with a worm. The river is genuinely closed to fishing for a grand total of six days.
    Yes I know we've always had it good.
    The trouble now is I need flat banks with limited walking, rivers for me are out of the question.

I think you'll find you need to wait until 25th March in Yorkshire!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    You're right, I was reading the Northumbrian byelaws, which apply to one river I fish and not the other. The joy of living in bandit country.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    You're right, I was reading the Northumbrian byelaws, which apply to one river I fish and not the other. The joy of living in bandit country.
    Arse bandits

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    It's true Mark, in post 23 I did mention that.

Weirdly we're allowed to fish the middle reaches of Christchurch Harbour with bread for mullet all year round and only have to move if we start catching dace and roach..... Years ago this didn't apply but you could fish with a ragworm-baited spoon for the mullet on the same piece of water which I did and apart from mullet I had a perch....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123