Tackle maintenance

seth49

Reaction score
Seeing I’m bored to death of being inside due to the weather, I thought I’d check some of my rods and reels over ready for when I do go fishing again.

First rod is my 13 ft Korum power float, cleaned the cork with warm water and one of those white foam blocks it came up like new. Checked the eyes there ok, and then cleaned the rod with a couple of Johnson’s baby wipes looks well now, also I always put the rod together and line the rings up, and then put a mark on each section with a gold coloured marker pen, makes it a lot easier to put together in future.

Then the Shimano 2500 which I use on this rod if not using a pin, took the spool and handle of and cleaned the reel with cotton buds and a wipe, drop of oil on the spindle, and the handle including the handles.

Then with a screwdriver I checked all the screws were tight, I do this a couple of times a year now since the baitrunner lever came apart on me last year, was very lucky to find the parts and screw, I carry a multitool so I was able to put it back together.glad I did a couple needed tightening up.

Just needs some new line on now, and it’s all good to go, so that’s one done quite a few more yet to do.

rich66

Reaction score
I sorted through mine the other day. Today’s job will be washing my bait tubs, the top sections of my float and feeder rods.
I’m also interested to see what tc curve is on a rod I bought a couple of years back and from memory it’s too stiff for my liking.

rayner

Reaction score
Nah don't do cleaning, I tried to get my wife to clean up my tackle when she grumbled about it, had no joy she flatly refused.
My last trip was the end of September last year, I've not even looked at my gear since then.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Rods and reels get washed/wiped down after every use. I never need to do the winter/closed season tidy ups that so many anglers do.

mikench

Reaction score
Ditto. I too use a magic sponge to clean cork handles when necessary and they come up like new. I regularly check the bolts on my chair as I know they do come loose.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wash mine when it starts to smell a bit cheesy :eek: :w

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
After every trip rods and reels are dried and cleaned and if necessary oiled as well. My nets are rinsed and hung up to dry outside.

Rig items that have been used are replaced and a general tidy up in my tackle boxes is done, and hook lengths replaced or re-tied.

I always thoroughly wash, rinse and dry all bait boxes incuding the lids as I really hate having dirty bait boxes as I think it taints my baits.

All luggage is cleaned off and/or wiped down.

The same goes for my lunch boxes and flasks with a thorough wash, clean and dry.

This way everything is cean and rwady for the next time go and I am confident that Ill have all I need for the day.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Seatbox wiped down, topkits sorted into 2 batches, which need re elasticating, those that dont, not got round to doing elastic yet, reels checked, rods and poles cleaned, terminal tackle sorted,nets checked and put in two lots,

peterjg

Reaction score
What a bunch of old tarts - bet you all wash and clean the car as well. Rain cleans the fishing tackle and the car gets a wash and clean each year prior to the MOT.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
What a bunch of old tarts - bet you all wash and clean the car as well. Rain cleans the fishing tackle and the car gets a wash and clean each year prior to the MOT.

At the moment my tackle is worth more than my car,
Thinking of changing car though, seen a nice focus ST s line on the forecourt, also 18 plate Octavia estate

Aknib

Reaction score
Although I tend to generally keep on top of things I always give everything a good shake down during what was the old closed season.

Surprising what I often find too, near empty packs of stuff I meant to replenish but forgot and end gear hurridly broken down at the end of a session (usually in fading daylight) and chucked in a bucket at home so that I can retrieve the components at a more leisurely rate but which have built up considerably.

Things I'd previously forgot I'd gotten, found, chucked back in a draw and then forgot about again.

There's always something, I generally enjoy tinkering with the one exception of re-spooling reels which I always find a right PIA!

Cleaning down luggage, checking rods and nets, a coat of varnish here 'n there, the list is endless.

Talking of which...

The bib'n'brace is starting to resemble stiff cardboard so the heavy soil cycle on the washing machine will see a rare call up soon, i'll most likely empty the waistcoat pockets and chuck that in there along with the favoured fishing towels too.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
By the end of the river season, ie now, my roving river gear needs a major overhaul for the summer. all lines have had it, floats needs checking, rods/reels need cleaning (especially as I've fished in the wet twice this week with groundbait), the stuff for summer needs retuning - hemp and tares gear not big Avon floats, and luggage needs a good wash abnd dry as it's been a mud bath this winter.

My stillwater gear will soon change from the canal type gear to something more robust so poles need checking.

seth49

Reaction score
Yes I generally keep my rods etc clean and tidy, this is like a annual service when I check everything over closely, more for peace of mind that it’s not going to let me down when it matters.
I do like things clean and tidy, and now I’m retired I’ve got the time to do it.

rayner

Reaction score
All I've managed to do whilst I've been confined to barracks is to put new line on a Diawa reel I bought to go with a new waggler rod. All threaded up, just need to add a waggler.
The rod is ready to go. I'm hoping for June as a start date, nothing can be decided yet, fingers crossed for a good result.