Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tackle maintenance

Seeing I’m bored to death of being inside due to the weather, I thought I’d check some of my rods and reels over ready for when I do go fishing again.

First rod is my 13 ft Korum power float, cleaned the cork with warm water and one of those white foam blocks it came up like new. Checked the eyes there ok, and then cleaned the rod with a couple of Johnson’s baby wipes looks well now, also I always put the rod together and line the rings up, and then put a mark on each section with a gold coloured marker pen, makes it a lot easier to put together in future.

Then the Shimano 2500 which I use on this rod if not using a pin, took the spool and handle of and cleaned the reel with cotton buds and a wipe, drop of oil on the spindle, and the handle including the handles.

Then with a screwdriver I checked all the screws were tight, I do this a couple of times a year now since the baitrunner lever came apart on me last year, was very lucky to find the parts and screw, I carry a multitool so I was able to put it back together.glad I did a couple needed tightening up.

Just needs some new line on now, and it’s all good to go, so that’s one done quite a few more yet to do.

Default Re: Tackle maintenance

I sorted through mine the other day. Today’s job will be washing my bait tubs, the top sections of my float and feeder rods.
    I’m also interested to see what tc curve is on a rod I bought a couple of years back and from memory it’s too stiff for my liking.

Blog Entries

Nah don't do cleaning, I tried to get my wife to clean up my tackle when she grumbled about it, had no joy she flatly refused.
    My last trip was the end of September last year, I've not even looked at my gear since then.

Rods and reels get washed/wiped down after every use. I never need to do the winter/closed season tidy ups that so many anglers do.

Ditto. I too use a magic sponge to clean cork handles when necessary and they come up like new. I regularly check the bolts on my chair as I know they do come loose.

I wash mine when it starts to smell a bit cheesy

Blog Entries

After every trip rods and reels are dried and cleaned and if necessary oiled as well. My nets are rinsed and hung up to dry outside.

Rig items that have been used are replaced and a general tidy up in my tackle boxes is done, and hook lengths replaced or re-tied.

I always thoroughly wash, rinse and dry all bait boxes incuding the lids as I really hate having dirty bait boxes as I think it taints my baits.

All luggage is cleaned off and/or wiped down.

The same goes for my lunch boxes and flasks with a thorough wash, clean and dry.

This way everything is cean and rwady for the next time go and I am confident that Ill have all I need for the day.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    You big fibber, you take wet wipes and clean it the very instant you've finished.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    This thread is about FISHING tackle Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    This thread is about FISHING tackle Ian.

Darn it, I thought it was about personal hygeine .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast