How was your Season?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Thanks for your messages of support and sympathy, its hard work not to relive legging it out of the house at 5.30am in the dark with flames going up the side of the house,still with coronavirus on the rampage probably couldn't go anywhere with an impending lockdown.
Just have to grin through gritted teeth and bear it.
Thanks again.

peterjg

Reaction score
I've just checked my fishing diary and made a note of catches since 15.3.2019. Since then I have been fishing 128 times (every trip after roach) with 4 blanks. No fishing since 5.3.2020 due to surgery (bad timing).

I have had a great season and although fishing for roach with mainly big baits have caught gudgeon, perch to 2lbs 5oz, bream to 10lbs 9oz, lots of blasted carp to about 12lbs, a few fantail hybrid things, a few crucian, rudd, roach/bream hybrids, 5 golden tench, dace, 10 normal tench, 6 ide, quite a few chub to 4lbs 15oz, 10 barbel, a few F1s (horrible fish), bleak, minnows, 1 ruffe, 9 brown trout to 4lbs 3oz, a rainbow trout, and a lot of roach to 1lb 13oz.

This is the first season since the 1980s when I have not done any over nighters, must do some ASAP.

Note to self: must try harder.

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
*****, cancer and incontinence ruined best part of the year to be honest. Coming to terms now, expecting more fishing and less talking about it.??

Reaction score
Hope everything goes smoothly for you and you get up and running ****y....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On reflection I have to say my 4th season fishing was a disappointing one. The estate did not fish well, tench and crucians scarce. The river was over many months almost unfishable. My second season spinning for bass from the shore promised so much but delivered very little, constant winds in the wrong direction gave just a few days of clarity, I got plenty of casting practice though! One of the highlights was my first attempt at mackerel fishing, great fun, the first fish I was comfortable with taking home for the plate, dam tasty they were too. Once again though, their visit to the south coast was extremely brief.

After a winter of constant wind and rain I have never looked forward so much to the coming Summer, it’s looking a bit bleak now.

bracket

Reaction score
Pretty much par for the course for me. I caught regularly on most of the venues I fished. The grayling fishing was difficult, due to the water levels, but we all know about that. When I did find the river something like, I managed a slack handful of fish. So not too disappointed, although I've certainly known much better, but in poor conditions you lower your expectations, and say thank you for what turns up. I did fish a match, first one for six odd years. I put a good net of tench and crucians on the pan, to recorded a very comfortable win. So that was satisfying. Basically I just did what I normally do. Go out and fish for a bite. What more do you want? Pete.

GT56

Reaction score
I've had a look through my diary and was amazed to find I'd actually fished the river 23 times this season, the majority during both July and August.
June didn't start well due to high water levels and the latter half of September was the start of continual rain and high winds, with some of the worse flooding seen in years.
My season was basically 10 weeks with the rest just horrendous, my last 3 visits to the bank were in far less than ideal conditions resulting in predictable miserable blanks.
What annoys/disappoints me more, I really thought this unnecessary close season was going to be finally abolished.
I've had to resort to canal fishing far sooner than planned for my fishing fix.
I can only hope my presence on the towpath doesn't disturb spawning fish, nesting birds and the flora and fauna, quite like it apparently was going to on the river bank!
God willing I'll be back down the river in May when the dreaded work parties start again and I hope everyone's fishing and more importantly life in general, improves for all.