Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How was your Season?

Using today for the season closing date how was your fishing year. A bit old school.
    I went a few times up to July caught some nice Tench to 6lbs and a few mixed bags. I haven’t been since for various reasons. I have now given up all my club memberships and now trying to find what appears to be the impossible, water that isn’t heavily stocked with carp and where I can still use a keepnet.
    Have a good 2020-21 season.

Default Re: How was your Season?

That's right, it is time to have a thought on our season.

The season for me has been heavily impacted by different factors, all new and utterly unexpected:
    1/ health
    2/ brexit (my micro business grew up 130% the second year in UK, then 340% outside UK for 3 years, and then crashed 6 months ago)
    3/ relocation
    4/ floodings
    5/ a well known virus I'm sure you're aware is quite a concern...........

This year I have to conclude I'm a happy angler.
    Fishing has been part of my physical therapy and worked wonderful.

Thanks to FM I've discovered a different world.

Thanks to FM I've caught my first barbel and bream.

Thanks to FM I've partly understood feeder fishing, I've discovered coarse fishing, even float.

All this opens sort of unlimited fishing.
    Tench would be one of my next tries, it may be a bit difficult for now but let's see. Perhaps carp!!
    You've never seen dawn. The real dawn. Only the angler knows the exact taste of the morning, the taste of a dawning spring day's bread and coffee. He's the only one having the exorbitant privileges. (René Fallet)

Blog Entries

A mixed season with some good fish,good catches,plus poor ones,some health issues,a typical season I suppose,lol.

Same here, different things had an unwanted impact on my fishing however, one or two spells that were good, some nice rudd on a newly discovered day ticket river for one. Still, was nothing to shout about and sea fishing was a bit of a disaster but then it has been for more than one season. Hope to get going again in the spring/summer and maybe trying a bit harder.

After a good spring I was just getting into my stride in the summer when my wife broke her ankle in two places so no fishing for three weeks and some restrictions after that, and when my hemp and tares fishing was at its height the early arrival of the rains stopped much of my river fishing from late September. It wasn't until late autumn that I really got on the river again and post Christmas my roach fishing was good right until the end, and I had more Stour roach than I ever had in a season. Conversely I had but one decent chub all season, no tench of any size, no barbel or grayling (the waters we have for grayling don't open until November and were across the fields most of the winter). I enjoyed my stillwater fishing and hope to do more videoing later in the year.

I'm glad you asked the question as it's made me think and look at things a bit differently.

On the face of it I would say unremarkable but thinking about things further I've discovered and enjoyed immensely a new local water which is quite picturesque in the form of an old village dam and has been very kind to me with mixed silvers catches including some lovely pristine Roach and even some clonking netter Dace with an un-weighed but obvious pb ( 10oz?) and in the depths of Winter, despite the shallowness...

I've also joined some estate lakes that have given me some monsterous Ide, something I've never encountered before at this size including this one just this afternoon and prior to Kev turning up and providing some excellent company for an hour or two...

I ventured into the dark world of making slider Avons and then went on to catch a new pb (for float caught) Barbel of 13lb+ on one of them...

The quantity of big Perch has been a noticeable absence but that's mainly down to the fact that I've fished much less due to work, that isn't as bad as it sounds as I enjoy my work so much although I do plan to get out far more in the coming season.

I'm struggling to recall a Zander session which is unusual and I'd have to go back a couple of Winters to recall a once regular Pike session (although I've still caught plenty on worm!) and as ever, a big eel eludes me despite the occasional attempt.

Maybe not so unremarkable after all
    Born to mow... Long grass is our enemy!

Err, pretty naff.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

As I alluded to on the hdygo thread, a great spring/summer followed by a rubbish autumn/winter. Found some great local tench fishing upping my pb to 8-12 and caught big crucian virtually every time I tried to. My best session being 23 with 14 of those over 3lb and a best of 3-12. I hate autumn and hardly fished at all.....then the wind and rain set in and I’ve hardly had a fish since

I’m not sorry to see the end of this season and I’m looking forward to another crack at those tench and crucian as soon as it warms up a bit....and this friggin wind stops blowing.

But first a few trite.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 14-03-2020 at 19:27.

The perch big and small have all but disappeared in my local waters. Shades of the 70s? The silvers have been wiped out by the black death in some local waters.
    The winter piking in the Witham was not worth bothering with due to flooding. I know carp are not everyones favourite on here but they have been a godsend to me.
    roll on the Spring.

Quite good really, bit of a learning curve at first with it being a new fishery, but a lot more carp and tench and this was reflected in our catches after a few months, our last fishery that we’ve fished for the last five years just went downhill fast, not just us but a lot more members have decided not to rejoin this year.

If your paying £170.00 a year you expect a lot more, the banks were very muddy, and the pegs were overgrown and in a poor state, me and mick did a lot of work last winter, but he never carried it on like he promised, so we joined a local club that only charged £20.00 pound a year, pegs are all good and the paths are all stoned and dry.

We had over three hundred carp between us here, plus I had some nice tench as well, so a no brainier have rejoined this year plus another local club, total cost of £80.00 in total, so plenty to go at now for a lot less money. Happy days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast