Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Carbon poles:
Shimano TPGT approx £1300
Shimano Diaflash approx £1200
Shimano Ultegra approx £1300
Milo 10-10 approx £2000
Daiwa Tournament X approx £1400 sold this on quickly, didn't live up to the hype
Maver J51 approx £1800
Browning Silverlite £1650

Good job the wife doesn't read this.

Was that the 11 metre shimano pg tips pole ,with I think put in joints, ?
I didnt think they were that expensive , I had 2 on order, and got fed up of waiting for them , so bought a daiwa ,then a couple of century excaliburs

mikench

Reaction score
Poles, to many to mention over the years, also top end seatboxes, I seemed to change them every couple of years when I could still get a decent 2nd hand price for them. Now at my age I am staying with pole and seatboxes I have.

Now that is a surprise Mark, I would never have guesssed.:rolleyes: I saw a guy yesterday fishing a pole which looked at least 30 metres long and which wouldn't fit in his car . It was utterly enormous and unwieldy to me.

rob48

Reaction score
Was that the 11 metre shimano pg tips pole ,with I think put in joints, ?
I didnt think they were that expensive , I had 2 on order, and got fed up of waiting for them , so bought a daiwa ,then a couple of century excaliburs

It was a 14m from NWAC. It was the first one I had with put-over joints. The ones before that, AX, FX, were put-ins.

nottskev

Reaction score
It was a 14m from NWAC. It was the first one I had with put-over joints. The ones before that, AX, FX, were put-ins.

The one I had before a Twin Power and then a Diaflash was an HFX at around £500 in 1987. Nice pole, but we soon found out how easy it was to split a female joint, and what any wear on put-in pole joints meant..... My last remnant of the X weave Shimano gear is a mint Triple X float rod. Gets my vote for best looking rod.

rob48

Reaction score
The one I had before a Twin Power and then a Diaflash was an HFX at around £500 in 1987. Nice pole, but we soon found out how easy it was to split a female joint, and what any wear on put-in pole joints meant..... My last remnant of the X weave Shimano gear is a mint Triple X float rod. Gets my vote for best looking rod.

Yes, we used to spend time trying to build up the male joints on put-ins to try and stop them sliding straight in, nothing seemed to work for very long! The Triple X was a good looker, the spliced-tip model was one of my favourites, until the "blue" Ultegra 390 Response and 390 FA appeared.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I will refrain from being too specific as I think one of my ex-wives looks in here on occasion.

Suffice to say you can look up the cost of a Barder Merlin online ;)

My Milo 10-10 pole when I bought it in the early 90's was just over 2 grand including spare top 4's, and my Big Pit reels are Diawa 5500's with a RRP of just over 400 of your best British pounds a piece . . . . but I paid somewhat less.

Both of my Carbotec rods were over £320 a piece and my fly rods are all Sage . . .

rayner

Reaction score
I'm a Yorkshire man, being tight is ground in. Never been over extravagant with tackle, the biggest outlay was a Boss an 8 drawer system seat box. The cost was £420 in 1987, not a lot now but over thirty years ago I thought it was.
A good buy when you think I still use it, it's being retired because it's getting too unwieldy to load the car at my age/state, my wife's health is the biggest issue.
For ease, I've bought a Matrix accessory chair with the accessories I needed. It may take some getting used to, I couldn't manage with a JRC Stealth chair, it was too low for me to get out of plus I couldn't fit accessories to it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In 1975 I bought a new ABU Cardinal 66 reel new which I still use occasionally. It cost £27 (+pence?) and I paid it off weekly! It was a lot of money then - I wonder in today's value how much that would be? I bought another one later (second hand) to have a matching pair which I also still have.

According to the BoE inflation calculator, £27 in '75 equates to £228.20 in 2019.

The cost was £420 in 1987, not a lot now but over thirty years ago I thought it was.

1,190.31 in 2019

Last edited:

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Does buying a house on the bank of the River Dordogne at
£272321 plus £80,000ish for renovation count? It felt like a lot to pay for a barbel swim ( not even exclusive) and a tackle room, on the bright side it’s been paying for itself with the BnB and the same house on the Thames would be millions.
On the real tackle front I tend to by mid range tackle as I try to do a bit of everything from whip fishing for bleak through fly fishing for trout to piking. However like many forum members I do indulge myself a bit when it comes to trotting and Avon rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Does buying a house on the bank of the River Dordogne at
£272321 plus £80,000ish for renovation count

Of course not , you bought it for la bonne vie and i don’t bl@me you.:) I hope you are unaffected by the dreaded Coronavirus Roger. I couldn’t see the point in going to Nice tomorrow if I cannot even walk along the promenade des anglais or head off into the hills. C’est la vie.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Of course not , you bought it for la bonne vie and i don’t bl@me you.:) I hope you are unaffected by the dreaded Coronavirus Roger. I couldn’t see the point in going to Nice tomorrow if I cannot even walk along the promenade des anglais or head off into the hills. C’est la vie.

Oh well, nice try anyway.
France is now in lockdown, with populace told not to leave their homes other than essentials. We now need to print off a form for permission to go shopping, groceries only, everywhere else is shut, or to go to work or even walk the dog!
Fishing is suspended until the end of the month, according to advice from the Federation Pêche but sod it I’m going down to the bottom of the garden, I’ve got some worms that need taking for a swim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not up in the mega money of some but it's probably a toss up (when money/date is considered) between my Normark 2000s and custom made Harrisons............

silvers

Reaction score
Carbon poles:
Shimano TPGT approx £1300
Shimano Diaflash approx £1200
Shimano Ultegra approx £1300
Milo 10-10 approx £2000
Daiwa Tournament X approx £1400 sold this on quickly, didn't live up to the hype
Maver J51 approx £1800
Browning Silverlite £1650

Good job the wife doesn't read this.

To be fair, that’s over 30 years of pole ownership ..
Some people change their flagship every two years!

I still have my 11m TPGT that I bought from Jim Johnson’s whilst I was still at Uni (so before 1989) Iirc I paid high 800s but only 3 top twos.
In 1992 I got the original Daiwa Conny from Fisherman’s Friend. With the top kits it was about 1250.
Next was a second hand tournament pro for 1000 ... but also bought two spare no. 5s for 100 each ... so again about £1200 in total.
Finally a second hand daiwa Exceler in perfect nick (basically a rebadged spectron) for less than £500.
So I still have and use three of those!

The only other item that comes anywhere near that is a 10m tournament whip that I bought new for around £420.

rob48

Reaction score
To be fair, that’s over 30 years of pole ownership ..
Some people change their flagship every two years!

I still have my 11m TPGT that I bought from Jim Johnson’s whilst I was still at Uni (so before 1989) Iirc I paid high 800s but only 3 top twos.
In 1992 I got the original Daiwa Conny from Fisherman’s Friend. With the top kits it was about 1250.
Next was a second hand tournament pro for 1000 ... but also bought two spare no. 5s for 100 each ... so again about £1200 in total.
Finally a second hand daiwa Exceler in perfect nick (basically a rebadged spectron) for less than £500.
So I still have and use three of those!

The only other item that comes anywhere near that is a 10m tournament whip that I bought new for around £420.

Yes it is. I found that when I was no longer fishing two matches a week with at least one on canals the pole joints started to last a lot longer.

Philip

Reaction score
Technically purchased for me but probably a Zodiac & petrol outboard so I can play at being Captain pugwash on the river.

silvers

Reaction score
Yes it is. I found that when I was no longer fishing two matches a week with at least one on canals the pole joints started to last a lot longer.

That's very true - i prefer and generally fish venues where you can compete on a rod & reel or whip, so I expect my current poles to last me a very long time. I don't see any step change available from what I already have - especially since most of the pole fishing I do is at 12.7m or less (obviously less witha Daiwa :p)

nottskev

Reaction score
Unlike you two, I only fish matches very occasionally. But I long ago stopped using precious vintage creations where the fish are mostly under 6 oz. If it's not worth netting, it's not worth the joint wear. I've got a couple of whole poles as spares, but the original is still intact. PI Jointsave, used unstintingly, proved a great long term protection and I've got through loads.

edsurf

Reaction score
The oldest rod I own a B James and Sons Avon Perfection mint condition worth a few quid , and a young's BJ centre pin reel a treat to my self.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nice reels Ed, I've had the lightweight version for many years (as you probably noticed down the LIF:))