Blog Entries

Default Re: Single most expensive item of tackle

Quote Originally Posted by rob48 View Post
    Carbon poles:
    Shimano TPGT approx £1300
    Shimano Diaflash approx £1200
    Shimano Ultegra approx £1300
    Milo 10-10 approx £2000
    Daiwa Tournament X approx £1400 sold this on quickly, didn't live up to the hype
    Maver J51 approx £1800
    Browning Silverlite £1650

Good job the wife doesn't read this.
    Was that the 11 metre shimano pg tips pole ,with I think put in joints, ?
    I didnt think they were that expensive , I had 2 on order, and got fed up of waiting for them , so bought a daiwa ,then a couple of century excaliburs

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    Poles, to many to mention over the years, also top end seatboxes, I seemed to change them every couple of years when I could still get a decent 2nd hand price for them. Now at my age I am staying with pole and seatboxes I have.
    Now that is a surprise Mark, I would never have guesssed. I saw a guy yesterday fishing a pole which looked at least 30 metres long and which wouldn't fit in his car . It was utterly enormous and unwieldy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    Was that the 11 metre shimano pg tips pole ,with I think put in joints, ?
    I didnt think they were that expensive , I had 2 on order, and got fed up of waiting for them , so bought a daiwa ,then a couple of century excaliburs
    It was a 14m from NWAC. It was the first one I had with put-over joints. The ones before that, AX, FX, were put-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by rob48 View Post
    It was a 14m from NWAC. It was the first one I had with put-over joints. The ones before that, AX, FX, were put-ins.
    The one I had before a Twin Power and then a Diaflash was an HFX at around £500 in 1987. Nice pole, but we soon found out how easy it was to split a female joint, and what any wear on put-in pole joints meant..... My last remnant of the X weave Shimano gear is a mint Triple X float rod. Gets my vote for best looking rod.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    The one I had before a Twin Power and then a Diaflash was an HFX at around £500 in 1987. Nice pole, but we soon found out how easy it was to split a female joint, and what any wear on put-in pole joints meant..... My last remnant of the X weave Shimano gear is a mint Triple X float rod. Gets my vote for best looking rod.
    Yes, we used to spend time trying to build up the male joints on put-ins to try and stop them sliding straight in, nothing seemed to work for very long! The Triple X was a good looker, the spliced-tip model was one of my favourites, until the "blue" Ultegra 390 Response and 390 FA appeared.

Blog Entries

I will refrain from being too specific as I think one of my ex-wives looks in here on occasion.

Suffice to say you can look up the cost of a Barder Merlin online

My Milo 10-10 pole when I bought it in the early 90's was just over 2 grand including spare top 4's, and my Big Pit reels are Diawa 5500's with a RRP of just over 400 of your best British pounds a piece . . . . but I paid somewhat less.

Both of my Carbotec rods were over £320 a piece and my fly rods are all Sage . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

I'm a Yorkshire man, being tight is ground in. Never been over extravagant with tackle, the biggest outlay was a Boss an 8 drawer system seat box. The cost was £420 in 1987, not a lot now but over thirty years ago I thought it was.
    A good buy when you think I still use it, it's being retired because it's getting too unwieldy to load the car at my age/state, my wife's health is the biggest issue.
    For ease, I've bought a Matrix accessory chair with the accessories I needed. It may take some getting used to, I couldn't manage with a JRC Stealth chair, it was too low for me to get out of plus I couldn't fit accessories to it.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    In 1975 I bought a new ABU Cardinal 66 reel new which I still use occasionally. It cost £27 (+pence?) and I paid it off weekly! It was a lot of money then - I wonder in today's value how much that would be? I bought another one later (second hand) to have a matching pair which I also still have.
    According to the BoE inflation calculator, £27 in '75 equates to £228.20 in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    The cost was £420 in 1987, not a lot now but over thirty years ago I thought it was.
    1,190.31 in 2019
    Last edited by sam vimes; 18-03-2020 at 12:22.

Does buying a house on the bank of the River Dordogne at
    £272321 plus £80,000ish for renovation count? It felt like a lot to pay for a barbel swim ( not even exclusive) and a tackle room, on the bright side it’s been paying for itself with the BnB and the same house on the Thames would be millions.
    On the real tackle front I tend to by mid range tackle as I try to do a bit of everything from whip fishing for bleak through fly fishing for trout to piking. However like many forum members I do indulge myself a bit when it comes to trotting and Avon rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just shy of 300 quid for a BJ lightweight centerpin. Best purchase I ever made. by some distance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast