Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  26
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Single most expensive item of tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Johnson 2 View Post
    Does buying a house on the bank of the River Dordogne at
    £272321 plus £80,000ish for renovation count
    Of course not , you bought it for la bonne vie and i don’t bl@me you. I hope you are unaffected by the dreaded Coronavirus Roger. I couldn’t see the point in going to Nice tomorrow if I cannot even walk along the promenade des anglais or head off into the hills. C’est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Of course not , you bought it for la bonne vie and i don’t bl@me you. I hope you are unaffected by the dreaded Coronavirus Roger. I couldn’t see the point in going to Nice tomorrow if I cannot even walk along the promenade des anglais or head off into the hills. C’est la vie.
    Oh well, nice try anyway.
    France is now in lockdown, with populace told not to leave their homes other than essentials. We now need to print off a form for permission to go shopping, groceries only, everywhere else is shut, or to go to work or even walk the dog!
    Fishing is suspended until the end of the month, according to advice from the Federation Pêche but sod it I’m going down to the bottom of the garden, I’ve got some worms that need taking for a swim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not up in the mega money of some but it's probably a toss up (when money/date is considered) between my Normark 2000s and custom made Harrisons............
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Quote Originally Posted by rob48 View Post
    Carbon poles:
    Shimano TPGT approx £1300
    Shimano Diaflash approx £1200
    Shimano Ultegra approx £1300
    Milo 10-10 approx £2000
    Daiwa Tournament X approx £1400 sold this on quickly, didn't live up to the hype
    Maver J51 approx £1800
    Browning Silverlite £1650

Good job the wife doesn't read this.
    To be fair, that’s over 30 years of pole ownership ..
    Some people change their flagship every two years!

I still have my 11m TPGT that I bought from Jim Johnson’s whilst I was still at Uni (so before 1989) Iirc I paid high 800s but only 3 top twos.
    In 1992 I got the original Daiwa Conny from Fisherman’s Friend. With the top kits it was about 1250.
    Next was a second hand tournament pro for 1000 ... but also bought two spare no. 5s for 100 each ... so again about £1200 in total.
    Finally a second hand daiwa Exceler in perfect nick (basically a rebadged spectron) for less than £500.
    So I still have and use three of those!

The only other item that comes anywhere near that is a 10m tournament whip that I bought new for around £420.

Quote Originally Posted by silvers View Post
    To be fair, that’s over 30 years of pole ownership ..
    Some people change their flagship every two years!

I still have my 11m TPGT that I bought from Jim Johnson’s whilst I was still at Uni (so before 1989) Iirc I paid high 800s but only 3 top twos.
    In 1992 I got the original Daiwa Conny from Fisherman’s Friend. With the top kits it was about 1250.
    Next was a second hand tournament pro for 1000 ... but also bought two spare no. 5s for 100 each ... so again about £1200 in total.
    Finally a second hand daiwa Exceler in perfect nick (basically a rebadged spectron) for less than £500.
    So I still have and use three of those!

The only other item that comes anywhere near that is a 10m tournament whip that I bought new for around £420.
    Yes it is. I found that when I was no longer fishing two matches a week with at least one on canals the pole joints started to last a lot longer.

Technically purchased for me but probably a Zodiac & petrol outboard so I can play at being Captain pugwash on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by rob48 View Post
    Yes it is. I found that when I was no longer fishing two matches a week with at least one on canals the pole joints started to last a lot longer.
    That's very true - i prefer and generally fish venues where you can compete on a rod & reel or whip, so I expect my current poles to last me a very long time. I don't see any step change available from what I already have - especially since most of the pole fishing I do is at 12.7m or less (obviously less witha Daiwa )

Unlike you two, I only fish matches very occasionally. But I long ago stopped using precious vintage creations where the fish are mostly under 6 oz. If it's not worth netting, it's not worth the joint wear. I've got a couple of whole poles as spares, but the original is still intact. PI Jointsave, used unstintingly, proved a great long term protection and I've got through loads.

The oldest rod I own a B James and Sons Avon Perfection mint condition worth a few quid , and a young's BJ centre pin reel a treat to my self.

Nice reels Ed, I've had the lightweight version for many years (as you probably noticed down the LIF)
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast