Single most expensive item of tackle

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Blimey this makes me realise I've been a tight old so and so down the years. I do baulk at paying out lots of money for anything that's going to get thrown down muddy banks and stored in the garage. So I reckon I might have paid £75-ish quid for a Shakespeare Mach 3 match rod when they first came out (it was a reasonable discount off the RRP mind...). I bought a second one (the "XT" version, identical as far as I could tell) later on when I snapped the first one by being a clumsy idiot.

I might have paid a similar amount for a Fox Evolution brolly in about 2007. It's approaching end of life now and likely to be replaced with a fox easy brolly which if I do pull the trigger will come in at about £105, something like that? On several occasions in the past I've been tempted on to get a wholesale batch of upgraded fixed spool reels, but when it came to it I just ended up getting the more recent Okuma baitrunners to replace the previous (worn out) Okuma baitrunners. I think I need to show this entire thread to my wife!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I do baulk at paying out lots of money for anything that's going to get thrown down muddy banks and stored in the garage.

It's not compulsory to do either of those things. I can honestly say that I would never throw a rod/reel down a bank, muddy, rocky, or otherwise. I don't keep expensive items in a shed or garage either.

bleak

Reaction score
So all you 'coffin dodgers' what will happen to all your valuable and rare kit when you croak? if your Mrs does not know the true value then it could all end up in a charity shop -fun for some lucky punter- or in a skip!

nottskev

Reaction score
So all you 'coffin dodgers' what will happen to all your valuable and rare kit when you croak? if your Mrs does not know the true value then it could all end up in a charity shop -fun for some lucky punter- or in a skip!

Look on the bright side. Maybe she'll croak too.

Shouldn't this have gone on the "Something positive among all the doom and gloom" thread?

John Keane

Reaction score
Looks like poles will always trump every other item of kit in a “most expensive” poll. Even the most expensive new-age graphene double handed salmon rods will only top out at around £1200. Chicken feed compared to a Daiwa Air XLS at £5grand+

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
So all you 'coffin dodgers' what will happen to all your valuable and rare kit when you croak?
All rods and reels and a few other bits and pieces are listed on a spreadsheet that I do hope my son will find before he puts stuff on ebay. The profits from the sales to be split between the 3 grandchildren, but I hope he doesn't sell them for what I told the wife they cost me.

There's nothing terribly expensive apart from a Youngs BJ CP reel or around £240 and a Harrisons Chimera Barbel rod that was £150. The poles I bought have been sold other than a W@nk and Spank (Yank and Bank, but that was what Graham Marsden called them) margin pole. I never did believe in spending too much on a reel, all they are for apart from casting is holding a load of line that's not in use. Rods have improved so much in the last 25 - 30 years and reasonably price rod now would have set you back around £300-400 back then; IF you could have got one.

I did have a Cardinal 54 that I bought new for around £14 or £15 and sold that on fleabay for £72. I seem to spend a few quid now on vintage stuff, Abu closed faced reels and (daft me) Mitchells. I use the Mitchells occasionally on split cane rods just to remind me of how lucky we are these days with carbon.