Morale booster

nottskev

Reaction score
I can't stop looking at this, I love the buildings.

Reminds me of scenes from Scooby Doo where the aging caretaker is revealed as the 'ghost' who's been haunting the buildings to ward off prying eyes so that he has time to dig up the stolen cash office loot he buried there decades earlier as a worker in a thriving grain store ;)

Me too. I love fishing with old buildings on the far bank, and a bit of dilapidation and dereliction only makes it better. Is the fishing any good here? Does it have the chub to go with the features?

Aknib

Reaction score
It always happens, you're scratching together a hard earned net of Winter silvers when the float goes, as it has so many times before, but this time you're met with a whump as a Perch has zeroed in on the shoal but decided the maggots, and your hookbait, are far easier pickings and plentiful enough to provide a suitable alternative...

rich66

Reaction score
Me too. I love fishing with old buildings on the far bank, and a bit of dilapidation and dereliction only makes it better. Is the fishing any good here? Does it have the chub to go with the features?

I’ve seen the odd angler it’s probably only 50 yards from where the Wreake meets the Soar. Plenty of fish can be seen cruising on the top not sure but probably dace or rudd ? It’s on a club ticket I’m not a member of. But according to my tackle shop no one checks tickets so I might be tempted to if we get out this year.

Same stretch looking downstream towards those old buildings, which incidentally seems to have horses wandering in and out of one side.

I love finding little stretch’s like this. Fills me with anticipation of what might be there.

79abf96b2c6a15bcd1d7262e1c33541f.jpg

009a9b2401a7d28dd4926bc62266fef0.jpg

e0963def2ca363506de124d6c25ccd5b.jpg

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
A few photos from my many years sea fishing around Scotland

The first is of an old friend who retired from teaching to live in a tiny caravan in Torridon, NW Scotland. He has always been a good fishing buddy and had tipped me that there were common skate in the loch close to his home. Colin had never caught one so I insisted he take the time to fish with me when I made an expedition there with my 15' trailer boat.

Colin caught the smallest of the six brought to my boat over three days. Just as well as my harness had not been adjusted to fit him!

colinskate2001.jpg

I had five more common skate to over 200lbs on that trip. Only lifted the small ones on board. On my own and it was too much of a struggle to do more than slip the hook and release them after measuring.

standup_edited-1.jpg

Skate WSF.jpg

Given good weather Torridon is a wonderful part of Scotland - watch out for the midgies though as they bite much more eagerly than the fish!

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
^^^ Great stuff! ^^^

I'd love to do something like that, the nearest I've ever come to skate is on thin ice :drum:

Aknib

Reaction score
No man's an island...

Although,

A little solitude never goes a miss...

However surprising the result...

Aknib

Reaction score
Sweet toothed Barbel taken on a deadly Summer bait combination, the ingredients of which I would never divulge...

John Keane

Reaction score
A few photos from my many years sea fishing around Scotland

The first is of an old friend who retired from teaching to live in a tiny caravan in Torridon, NW Scotland. He has always been a good fishing buddy and had tipped me that there were common skate in the loch close to his home. Colin had never caught one so I insisted he take the time to fish with me when I made an expedition there with my 15' trailer boat.

Colin caught the smallest of the six brought to my boat over three days. Just as well as my harness had not been adjusted to fit him!

View attachment 8676

I had five more common skate to over 200lbs on that trip. Only lifted the small ones on board. On my own and it was too much of a struggle to do more than slip the hook and release them after measuring.

View attachment 8677

View attachment 8678

Given good weather Torridon is a wonderful part of Scotland - watch out for the midgies though as they bite much more eagerly than the fish!

Your mate is the spitting image of Monty Python’s Terry Jones!

Excellent fishing, by the way.

mikench

Reaction score
Your mate is the spitting image of Monty Python’s Terry Jones!

He most certainly is. No pics but years ago whilst fishing from our boat off the Lllyn Peninsula I hooked into something immovable and was convinced I was snagged. I had a bend in my boat rod similar to Pelamid but could barely detect any movement until my son declared that the boat was moving backwards despite being at anchor. I never saw whatever it was as it pulled the hook and opened it up. I suspect it was a ray or skate. They are very strong fish which can hug the seabed.

Keith M

Reaction score
Picture of a Gobio Gobio that snaffled my luncheonmeat on my local stream.

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
A pleasant couple of hours at the Holme Lacey hotel lake in Herefordshire (while I waited for the wife to have her nails done) resulted in three Carp like this on a 2lb hooklength.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
The bluebell woods last spring.

IMG_3305.jpg

The old boat house on a private lake

e5aa2ce2-48ec-4873-95e1-f4d5b6846e4a.jpg

A sturdy gudgeon.

IMG_3650.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Edited post

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had about a dozen or more of these ladies mixed in amongst over 30 barbel.....

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Edited post

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Some saltwater species I have taken around the UK

A bass from Luce Bay, SW Scotland

Bass Luce Bay.jpg

A cod of 12lb from North Berwick harbour (near Edinburgh)

cod 12lb North Berwick.jpg

Thornback ray caught near Silloth whilst testing my new "Continental" rod

Thornback  ray.jpg

and the sort of winter sea that brings the cod in

Cod sea running.jpg

Missing my sea fishing, but my local river kind of makes up for it!

Last edited: