Morale booster

John Keane

Reaction score
C&F Fly Wheel | Fly Dryer | Fly Tying Accessories | Sportfish

Something like this would be good for drying floats. you wouldn't get any runs in the paint either.

Years ago I made my own version of one of those rotary dryers for epoxy bodied saltwater flies. Used the battery rotisserie motor off a barbecue (you don’t seem to get them anymore) and a big foam disc the size of a side plate. Worked very efficiently too.

seth49

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, shouldn’t be to hard to make something along those lines, getting a battery driven motor that’s slow enough would probably be the hardest part.

A circular piece of oasis that the flower arrangers use, would be ok to hold the floats, or hard foam would do.

John Keane

Reaction score
My little Mother Nature’s display has gained orange poppies now.

2-BF94-A06-5244-4-BD5-892-C-D4-AE9-C84851-F.jpg

Plus she has also blessed me with a Wild Strawberry plant to graze on while mowing the lawn.

C2-DCE1-D6-115-E-485-A-81-EB-1057350-EE93-C.jpg

John Keane

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, shouldn’t be to hard to make something along those lines, getting a battery driven motor that’s slow enough would probably be the hardest part.

A circular piece of oasis that the flower arrangers use, would be ok to hold the floats, or hard foam would do.

One of those barbecue rotisserie motors is the right speed. At one time they gave them away free with cheap barbecues but don’t seem to do it anymore.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Came in the on the boat yesterday, the Mullet is about 4lb, several sea bass and a sea bream. Caught out in deep water but wouldn't say no when we get fishing again if they come round closer in. Just nice to see the fish, a bloke came out and asked what I was doing, must have thought I was some government official taking a picture. I explained to him my mates on an angling forum haven't seen a fish for months, well;not proper fish and they need cheering up, he had a good laugh at that.

Attachments

• boat fish.jpg
    boat fish.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Came in the on the boat yesterday, the Mullet is about 4lb, several sea bass and a sea bream. Caught out in deep water but wouldn't say no when we get fishing again if they come round closer in. Just nice to see the fish, a bloke came out and asked what I was doing, must have thought I was some government official taking a picture. I explained to him my mates on an angling forum haven't seen a fish for months, well;not proper fish and they need cheering up, he had a good laugh at that.

That a bream, bottom right?

Aknib

Reaction score
Bronze maggots might have been the bait of the 80's but the Trent Roach still like 'em, I just wish it didn't hang around on your hands for days afterwards!

I rarely use 'em for that reason, can't imagine what damage I was doing to myself back at the time when they used Chrysoidine.

I think it was around 1984 that cancer links were being established and we lost Clive Smith...

upload picture

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That a bream, bottom right?

Yes, that's bottom right, well black bream I think that's what they are known as., actually I have just noticed something else in there in the middle, maybe a Wrasse. I just thought it nice to see a summer box of fish. be nice if they are around when I back on the job.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Bronze maggots might have been the bait of the 80's but the Trent Roach still like 'em, I just wish it didn't hang around on your hands for days afterwards!

I rarely use 'em for that reason, can't imagine what damage I was doing to myself back at the time when they used Chrysoidine.

I think it was around 1984 that cancer links were being established and we lost Clive Smith...

upload picture

If your hands are staying stained for days afterwards I suspect the maggots ARE dyed with chrysoidine! The dye is used in enormous quanities to make cardboard/paper brown instead of dirty grey.

seth49

Reaction score
Total Carp Magazine
1 hr ·
Political support growing for end to lockdown restrictions on angling and other outdoor pursuits
National newspaper publishes letter from four MPs
As the government considers which restrictions on the coronavirus lockdown it might safely begin to lift in Thursday’s scheduled review, a campaign led by the Angling Trust - the national governing body for one of Britain’s most popular pastimes - has attracted significant support at Westminster.
MPs of all parties are signalling their support for proposals from the Angling Trust in a report entitled ‘When We Fish Again’ has been submitted to Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove and the Fisheries and Sports Ministers. It draws on experience in other European countries where angling in some form has been allowed to continue during the pandemic with no negative impacts. In fact, countries such as Germany, Holland, Denmark, the Czech Republic and Norway have less deaths from coronavirus than UK, France, Spain, Italy and Belgium where it has effectively been banned.
Parliamentary supporters include former Sports Minister Tracey Crouch, Vice Chairman of the Conservative 1922 Committee Sir Charles Walker, veteran Labour MP Jon Cruddas and North Cornwall MP Scott Mann.
The four MPs have today had a letter published in the Daily Telegraph stating:
“We are writing as a cross-party group of MPs to signal our support for the lifting of the coronavirus restrictions on low risk outdoor activities, such as angling, which can be pursued while maintaining social distancing. We believe that the Angling Trust’s proposals for the safe return of angling, put to Ministers in its ‘When We Fish Again’ report, provides a carefully thought through template for the resumption of one of the UK’s most popular activities.”
Sir Charles Walker MP, himself a keen angler and Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Angling Group, added:
“The Angling Trust has produced a fantastic and detailed template as to how we can return, in a safe and responsible fashion, to the sport we love. The Trust has now lodged its carefully thought through plan entitled “When We Fish Again” with a number of Ministers and Sport England and it provides a sensible and pragmatic way forward.”
The report is backed by national angling and fisheries groups including the Canal & River Trust, Salmon & Trout Conservation, the Institute of Fisheries Management and representatives of the angling trade which is estimated to be worth a total of £4bn to the UK economy.
Other European countries are easing back on outdoor activities where research has shown a minimal risk of contagion. On May 4th angling is set to resume in Belgium and the Isle of Man have already lifted restrictions on the sport.
Former Sports Minister Tracey Crouch MP added:
“Along with many colleagues I’ve already made representations to the government supporting the type of phased return for recreational fishing proposed by the Angling Trust. Allowing people to safely reconnect with nature is important in these stressful times.”
Labour MP Jon Cruddas added:
“Our parks in London and other urban areas are rammed with people seeking fresh air and recreation. Allowing anglers back on the bank is clearly the right thing to do and will help ease the pressure on other open spaces.”
Scott Mann MP said:
“Angling is a pursuit where you can easily be distant from one another, it would make perfect sense for this to be one of the first areas when lockdown is lifted. Fishing has many physical health benefits but also has many mental health benefits as well.“
Angling Trust CEO, Jamie Cook said:
“We have demonstrated to MPs and, hopefully, to government ministers that angling in the UK could be permitted as a safe, accessible, outdoor activity delivering huge benefits for mental health and wellbeing and why it should take its position at the front of the queue when restrictions are reviewed. We are delighted with the support we are receiving from our public representatives for our phased guidelines under which angling for both disabled and able bodied could be safely permitted without increasing the risk of COVID-19 transmission when the government begins to ease restrictions.”

From Facebook today.

Aknib

Reaction score
“Our parks in London and other urban areas are rammed with people seeking fresh air and recreation. Allowing anglers back on the bank is clearly the right thing to do and will help ease the pressure on other open spaces.”
Scott Mann MP said:

That for me sums things up pretty well.

I appreciate that there hasn't been the time to look into low priority issues such as individual leisure pursuits as resources have had to be focused elsewhere but as we begin to live with a more long term outlook on this situation, in turn incorporating a longer term strategy, it's a very persuasive point.

Aknib

Reaction score
A small skank of a Pike which was seduced by my worm bait intended for Perch.

I reckon he matches the float lol...

John Keane

Reaction score
Yes, that's bottom right, well black bream I think that's what they are known as., actually I have just noticed something else in there in the middle, maybe a Wrasse. I just thought it nice to see a summer box of fish. be nice if they are around when I back on the job.

Looks like a Ballan, why do they take those?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Looks like a Ballan, why do they take those?

I wouldn't know the difference, I am not familiar with Wrasse as I have never caught one. I am not familiar with the legality of taking these fish either, are they protected or something or no good to eat. I am not sure it is a Wrasse, I only noticed it in the picture.

Philip

Reaction score

Jerry (Barbelboi) has posted a few times about a home made rod dryer he made for drying rods after you varnish them. ..I cant remember what motor he used but it turned very slowly. I did a quick serch but couldnt find it. Its certainly there somewhere.

John Keane

Reaction score
I wouldn't know the difference, I am not familiar with Wrasse as I have never caught one. I am not familiar with the legality of taking these fish either, are they protected or something or no good to eat. I am not sure it is a Wrasse, I only noticed it in the picture.

It is a Ballan Wrasse, the largest UK species. Used to like fishing for them off rock marks on Anglesey with small hardback crabs for bait. They go to around 9lbs and fight like hell. Never taken one home, don’t even know if they’re edible. Surprised to see one in a boat catch.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It is a Ballan Wrasse, the largest UK species. Used to like fishing for them off rock marks on Anglesey with small hardback crabs for bait. They go to around 9lbs and fight like hell. Never taken one home, don’t even know if they’re edible. Surprised to see one in a boat catch.
We are not rocky enough round here but there is one area to the east that has rocks under some cliffs and I have heard of the odd wrasse being caught there. Given there were bass and mullet in the catch maybe he was fishing just off those rocks and found a wrasse in among the catch. Just a guess, I have never caught one myself, they sound like good fish those ballen wrasse, I wouldn't mind one of those. Mind you I would be happy with a plague of pin whiting right now or even one of those horrible three bearded things that swallow everything and I never thought I would say that.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
We are not rocky enough round here but there is one area to the east that has rocks under some cliffs and I have heard of the odd wrasse being caught there. Given there were bass and mullet in the catch maybe he was fishing just off those rocks and found a wrasse in among the catch. Just a guess, I have never caught one myself, they sound like good fish those ballen wrasse, I wouldn't mind one of those. Mind you I would be happy with a plague of pin whiting right now or even one of those horrible three bearded things that swallow everything and I never thought I would say that.

Ballan Wrasse are powerful, muscly fish and, on being hooked, crash-dive for the safety of a rock crevice. If they get into one they erect their dorsal fin and wedge themselves in and it’s the devil’s own job to get them out. They have thick rubbery lips and teeth that look remarkably human for crunching up crabs and prising limpets off rocks. However they are notoriously bad at withstanding impact shock and rarely survive a broadside slap if you throw them back into the water from any kind of height. I used to always take a drop-net to get them back safely (harder than it sounds)

D01-AB6-A9-305-E-4089-B560-0-F0-CD6837-DC3.jpg