Swingtipping

flightliner

Reaction score
Used to fish the swingtip in matches on the Witham, Welland, Coranation cut in Spaldind, the Middle level. Relief channel and many of the fen drains.
Back then it dominated the Fenland match scene.
My only grouse of it was when the Witham was run off when the lock gates in Boston were open causing the tip to be at full stretch.
We would wrap lead wire around the tips end which helped , but it still worked in the right hands.
Lovely way to see bites develop but it gradually made way to the quivertip that did in the main consign it to angling history.

rayner

Reaction score
I was shown in the early 70s that especially with bream you would first get a twitch on the tip then the tip would show the bite. The chap that pointed this out to me advocated striking at the twitch, the idea came from bream virtually standing on their head to feed, the twitch came from when they levelled after picking up the bait.
concentration was needed to see the twitch that gave me headaches. He was right, he helped me to a couple of good results at the time. Toms theory that waiting for the tip to rise gave bream the chance to eject the bait.