Swingtipping

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
When was the last time anyone used a swing tip ( for our younger readers this is a tip with eyes on it on a piece of tubing,when fitted into top eye, makes rod look as if broken top section) hope that helped,
Anyway I have come across a rod I forgot I had and never used, it has a threaded end eye and I have fitted a swing tip ready, The rod is a Shakespeare Sigma specimen rod, looks more like a 2 piece beefed up float rod.
I am going to give it a try on one of Newlands angling waters, these are like gravel pits on linear complex, that's if they are open.
I have had some good fish on quiver tip so want to see how swing tip performs.

rich66

Reaction score
Maybe 2-3 weeks ago. It’s a great sensitive way to fish I enjoy using I the right circumstances

mikench

Reaction score
I tried it quite a lot a couple of years ago when I was on a retro journey of discovery. I broke a tip on my DV rod but added a threaded eye and had a go. A kind soul on here sent me a couple of spring tips which again I tried with an Abu 501. I caught several bream. It looks odd and casting is not very easy but it works as a method in very calm conditions.

I found I started out on a flat calm day using a swing tip but had to change as a stiff wind developed. :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It was a very popular method in the early days of the big Danish lakes matches, but was superseded by the butt swinger that was much quicker to set when the bites were coming thick and fast.

There is however a lovely sort of gentleness in watching the gradual rise of a swing tip.

peterjg

Reaction score
My wife always uses a swingtip, she has caught many fine fish including carp to 24lbs 3ozs, 7lb tench, big roach, crucians,etc, etc. Surely there is a way to stop her catching, it's just not fair!! She beats me nearly every time - its a bit of a standing joke in my family!

Edit: just realised the boss's best carp was 23lbs 4oz not 24lbs 3ozs!

Last edited:

Paste paul

Reaction score
I never could get on with the swing tip...... my dad was an ace with it and had many great catches with it......
I always used a quiver tip and before that a but indicator.....
I had the Freddy foster swing tip book but lost it in a move a few years ago...
Give it a go pal and have a great time

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
It's a few years since I last used a swing tip. Been practising casting in the garden.
Also reading about butt swinger, I have one of those somewhere so that's another method to try again.

rayner

Reaction score
Last time I used a swing tip must have been in the mid 80s, Worked OK but nothing I'm fussed about trying to get back to.
I much prefer a quiver tip, I've not got a swing tip in my tackle now. It's not a method I want to return to, been there and done that, there are better methods like quiver, sidewinder, butt indicator or even watching the line.
I can understand some folk reminiscing or fancying a go with a swing tip but it's not for me. Anyone who's sort of stuck in a time warp then more power to their elbow.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
When was the last time anyone used a swing tip ( for our younger readers this is a tip with eyes on it on a piece of tubing,when fitted into top eye, makes rod look as if broken top section) hope that helped,
Anyway I have come across a rod I forgot I had and never used, it has a threaded end eye and I have fitted a swing tip ready, The rod is a Shakespeare Sigma specimen rod, looks more like a 2 piece beefed up float rod.
I am going to give it a try on one of Newlands angling waters, these are like gravel pits on linear complex, that's if they are open.

Just fished last week with one on exactly the same rod. Only caught a six inch "stinging catfish " with it. But have caught a number of our "Indian major carps", as they are called, (five common species going upto 100 pounds in one case, and, no, I haven't had them that large.). Love the swing tip, especially on very shallow waters. I am extremely fond of that rod as well. Try it out on a carp filled water.

All the best

Lakhyaman

lakhyaman

Reaction score

Just fished last week with one on exactly the same rod. Only caught a six inch "stinging catfish " with it. But have caught a number of our "Indian major carps", as they are called, (five common species going upto 100 pounds in one case, and, no, I haven't had them that large.). Love the swing tip, especially on very shallow waters. I am extremely fond of that rod as well. Try it out on a carp filled water.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Aknib

Reaction score
I fancy a go at swingtipping again, it's a long time since I had a good old wrap around trying to cast one but I like the idea and it has its practicalities.

Not sure if it's still current or not but it wasn't that long ago that one rod company brought out the first new swingtip rod I'd seen in years... Tri Cast?

I think it was aimed at the F1/commercial scene.

ian g

Reaction score
I always enjoyed it in the right conditions , fairly shallow venue and not fishing at to long range.

rich66

Reaction score
I fancy a go at swingtipping again, it's a long time since I had a good old wrap around trying to cast one but I like the idea and it has its practicalities.

Not sure if it's still current or not but it wasn't that long ago that one rod company brought out the first new swingtip rod I'd seen in years... Tri Cast?

I think it was aimed at the F1/commercial scene.

I bought a new Shakespeare 9ft omni leger rod that has the Screwtip adaptor in the top ring, it’s the reason I bought it to swingtip with about £20 if I remember rightly. I would imagine it’s nowhere near the quality of a tricast. But it’s a decent rod for the cash.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I bought a very light action Silstar swingtip rod in the mid 80s then realised I really need a purpose-built quivertip rod so bought a Daiwa Cavalier 11ft quivertip rod. Still got both rods, and guess I last swingtipped back in the late 80s. Still got swingtips. I was given a mint Roy Marlow Persuader tip rod about 3 years ago, yet to use it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I bought a very light action Silstar swingtip rod in the mid 80s then realised I really need a purpose-built quivertip rod so bought a Daiwa Cavalier 11ft quivertip rod. Still got both rods, and guess I last swingtipped back in the late 80s. Still got swingtips. I was given a mint Roy Marlow Persuader tip rod about 3 years ago, yet to use it.

I had the cavalier rod, caught a 7lb barbel on it from the River Bollin in Lymm, mid 80,s I would say, brilliant rod for silvers as well.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I found my target boards yesterday, they will be getting some use next time I manage to get out.
I think I will check to see how many quiver tip rods are lying about while in lockdown.

nottskev

Reaction score
I bought a new Shakespeare 9ft omni leger rod that has the Screwtip adaptor in the top ring, it’s the reason I bought it to swingtip with about £20 if I remember rightly. I would imagine it’s nowhere near the quality of a tricast. But it’s a decent rod for the cash.

Shakespeare's "inferior" rods have a habit of proving to have lovely fish-playing actions. In shorter lengths, like leger rods, where weight's no big issue, I've found that rods made from cheaper materials eg composites can have sweeter actions than some far more expensive ones, especially if you're not having to cast heavy weights like loaded feeders or long distances.

peterjg

Reaction score
Shakespeare's "inferior" rods have a habit of proving to have lovely fish-playing actions. In shorter lengths, like leger rods, where weight's no big issue, I've found that rods made from cheaper materials eg composites can have sweeter actions than some far more expensive ones, especially if you're not having to cast heavy weights like loaded feeders or long distances.

A good point regarding rods made from composite materials: I wish someone would make a cheaper 14ft float rod for stillwater fishing which had a nice soft action, it would sit in rod rests so weight would not be so important.