Lockdown effect on fishing ?

Reaction score
Hopefully you practice what you preach so the rest of us can exercise by ourselves or members of our household in our preferred manner without nuisance.

Knobhead!!!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im not sure he is a troll,just a fool!

A fool I can tolerate, we are all foolish at times. Someone who joins a fishing forum during a crisis just to post “irony” in order to provoke negativity, get banned within a few hours and immediately join another forum and repeat the same stuff is a troll, make no mistake. As someone who use to moderate a forum they are often easy to identify from the outset, sitting at their keyboards in the small hours when the majority of the world is asleep is one pattern of many. You may also recognise similarities with our last banned troll, Weirdoh.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have never said he has. I haven't called him a troll whatever that is. I haven't called for him to be banned merely pointed out that he hasn't been like me like you.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Problem with forums, they do get clicky and this one is no different.
Sometimes a troll is obvious and the owners/mod's fire them off, but sometimes they post just below the threshold of being banned and linger on for some time.

Last edited:

d.owens

Reaction score
I think the current situation throws the real character of people into very sharp focus. There are those that take their responsibility to wider society seriously, unfortunately there are many people who believe the world revolves around them and don't give a toss for others.
The lack of clarity in the current guidelines creates loopholes that certain people will look to exploit. I have been taking my 2 sons out for about an hour on our bikes, to ride through the woods close to home. I have attempted to do this responsibly, within the guidelines for exercise periods, and maintaining 2m+ distancing. We have been riding past one of the ponds I fish regularly, I have seen nobody fishing, but it does create the question why is it ok for us to cycle there? If the government brings in more draconian measures, forcing us to go into complete lockdown, with no outdoor exercise permitted, of course we will obey that. I can still travel to work on my bike if I want as I'm classed as a key worker and get some exercise from my commute. But I know people who already push things as far as they can, multiple shopping trips for non-essential things, 3 hour bike rides, etc.
The longer it continues like this the more comfortable people will feel "bending" the guidelines to suit what they want to do.
We have family members who are very ill with this virus, it has rammed home to us how vital it is to get things under control. I would struggle with never being able to leave the house except to go to work, but it is a small price to pay to save lives.
It has cheered me up looking at some of the threads on here, I cant wait to be fishing again!
Why bother getting worked up over somebody being a wind up merchant on a fishing forum? Look at the bigger picture, people posting helpful, positive and humorous stuff to provide some distractions during a difficult time.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
I think the current situation throws the real character of people into very sharp focus. There are those that take their responsibility to wider society seriously, unfortunately there are many people who believe the world revolves around them and don't give a toss for others.
The lack of clarity in the current guidelines creates loopholes that certain people will look to exploit. I have been taking my 2 sons out for about an hour on our bikes, to ride through the woods close to home. I have attempted to do this responsibly, within the guidelines for exercise periods, and maintaining 2m+ distancing. We have been riding past one of the ponds I fish regularly, I have seen nobody fishing, but it does create the question why is it ok for us to cycle there? If the government brings in more draconian measures, forcing us to go into complete lockdown, with no outdoor exercise permitted, of course we will obey that. I can still travel to work on my bike if I want as I'm classed as a key worker and get some exercise from my commute. But I know people who already push things as far as they can, multiple shopping trips for non-essential things, 3 hour bike rides, etc.
The longer it continues like this the more comfortable people will feel "bending" the guidelines to suit what they want to do.
We have family members who are very ill with this virus, it has rammed home to us how vital it is to get things under control. I would struggle with never being able to leave the house except to go to work, but it is a small price to pay to save lives.
It has cheered me up looking at some of the threads on here, I cant wait to be fishing again!
Why bother getting worked up over somebody being a wind up merchant on a fishing forum? Look at the bigger picture, people posting helpful, positive and humorous stuff to provide some distractions during a difficult time.

I don't accept that I'm selfish and "think the world revolves around me". I take the virus extremely seriously. Every time I touch something I disinfect my hands, I disinfect my shopping, before my work closed I was the one who was constantly disinfecting the touch points on screens, door handles etc.. All those things had a purpose. Only walking and cycling rather than fishing however has no purpose.

We're in week 2 of this lockdown. How is staying inside the whole time going to feel for people in three months? Those who don't go out to exercise because their made guilty for doing so will be unfit, in many cases with depression and other mental health problems resulting in heart disease, suicide and domestic abuse. All because people without any expertise decided to impose their own set of rules and enforce them via the shaming of others.

Last edited:

sis the roach

Reaction score
just see how many people are dead and still die -ing you have your own answer no one knows enough about it not just in this country but the 127 countrys of the WORLD

d.owens

Reaction score
I wasn't referring to you being selfish or thinking the world revolves around you. Irony? Hey there's some right there!
I was referring to the groups of lads still wandering about. The people pushing the guidelines to the limit etc.
I was referring to you when I said it was pointless getting worked up by a wind- up merchant on a fishing forum. I don't want to see you banned, I was just suggesting that there are more important things to worry about at the moment.
I actually quite enjoy your posts, I read them and can't help hearing them in the voice of Rick from the Young Ones for some reason.
Good points about the rules in place, it feels strange that I can cycle for exercise to the pond I usually fish, but it's totally unacceptable to lob a hook in. These things are open to debate and I think it's perfectly ok to voice contrary opinions, thankfully we haven't been banned from having our own opinions yet.

(Reply to Krang, sorry, forgot to link quote)

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Things were put in a bit of perspective for me an hour ago. I rang my sister who works in the NHS. She has been transferred to another department because they have closed down the one she was in for now, now in incontinence of all things, she has no PPI and doesn't really want it, she said it is so difficult to work in. She's busier than ever dealing with her new department and issues with her old one. And she is 60 with health issues herself. I put the phone down and realized she never complained once about anything; not one squeak. She was even quite cheery in herself.
I hope we don't stop complaining because it's the food and bread and butter/debate of forums but it just made me think about it a bit more; about our lot with a bit of perspective, it is only fishing after-all.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I have got to renew a club membership shortly(days)at the cost of £60(i dont qualify for an oap ticket as you have to be a member for five years),im not sure with the virus problems at present if I want to pay that for what may end up being six months or less fishing,if I survive,better to pay the membership that starts from June the 16th for my other club,im too practical for my own good...

catmad graham

Reaction score
its not just the anglers that are missing out on the lockdown I run a burger bar at a commercial fishery.the fishery like many others closed the day after the announcement. it really couldn't have come at a worse time I was closed from October until february as the weather and not many people using the lakes.whilst I was closed I bought new fridges freezers and all appliances as well as £450 in stock the day before I have no other income and don't qualify for any benefits so being selfish I had we can all go fishing again really soon

bleak

Reaction score
Germany is the place to be (for now), I wonder why their mortality rate is so low.

could it be their custom; just knock a knuckle on a table on entering and leaving a bar etc not wandering around shaking hands or kissing. and the ability to follow rules and just get on with it , no whining...

Krang

Reaction score
Germany has done a lot of testing. The total case numbers are pretty misleading because they reflect the amount of testing that's being done rather than the real number of cases. The death rate is a better measure of the severity of a country's outbreak, and even that's not recorded consistently. Judging by the death rates I'd say its pretty certain that the UK has more cases, even though Germany had detected more.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,433,055 Cases and 82,136 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

sis the roach

Reaction score
please for the sake of people lives stay at home as much as we all what to go fishing till every one has been tested and we really know the full truth about this croanavirus if we ever do this is more serious than every one thinks trust me I love fishing as much as every one please stay safe all of you and stay at home and tie hook make floats

Krang

Reaction score
giphy.gif