Lockdown effect on fishing ?

mikench

Reaction score
Whether we like it or not, can afford it or not, want to or not or can do it or not, we along with the rest of the world have to work together to find a vaccine for this virus otherwise it WILL come back and start or restart from Africa or the Indian sub continent.

We are not an island in the literary sense and being one in the geographical sense hasn't helped us at all.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
UK GSK and French Sanogi have teamed together to pool research on a Covid-19 vaccine.

They said earlier today that they envisage having enough vaccine for hundreds of millions of doses . . . by the end of next year . . .

All over the planet major pharmaceutical companies are coming together in the race to find a vaccine but seemingly nothig will be available this year . . .

Meanwhile AstraZenica are syaing that their trials of their drug Calquence “appears to reduce the severity of COVID-19-induced respiratory distress.”

Reaction score
A year is around the norm for all vaccines,they have to be sure they more good than harm,so time has to be spent testing,lets be fair,it must be a herculean effort...

mikench

Reaction score
If I was at deaths door, in Intensive care and on a ventilator and was offered a vaccine or a new medication which was still in trials, I'd take it. What would I have to lose if I was likely to die anyway.

nottskev

Reaction score
Isn't the idea of a vaccine that it gives immunity? A bit late for vaccination if you've got the disease. I guess an unreliable vaccine would just confuse issues, with people acting as if they were protected when actually not. A bit like unreliable tests, that could send infected people back into circulation.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Call my cynical but right now with share prices tumbling all over it seems that both GSK and Sanogi rose pretty nicely this morning, as did AstraZenica ;)

john step

Reaction score
I wonder if the statisticians are wise to this one.

The flu vaccination cannot guard against cov.19. but I wonder if the flu vaccine teaches the bodies immune system how to react quicker? Wonder what the difference is between those that have had the flu vac and those who haven't. Maybe a severity thing?

Also as this Cov.19 bug induces pneumonia a similar thing may or may not exist with those over 70s who have taken advantage of the anti pneumonia vac for the over 70s??

I wonder!

Reaction score
If I was at deaths door, in Intensive care and on a ventilator and was offered a vaccine or a new medication which was still in trials, I'd take it. What would I have to lose if I was likely to die anyway.

If you were at deaths door with covid-19 the vaccine wouldnt help you,vaccines are to lessen your chances of catching a disease or help your body to fight it better if you caught it after catching it,but you need the vaccine beforehand...

Phil Heaton

Reaction score

The flu vaccination cannot guard against cov.19. but I wonder if the flu vaccine teaches the bodies immune system how to react quicker? Wonder what the difference is between those that have had the flu vac and those who haven't. Maybe a severity thing?

Also as this Cov.19 bug induces pneumonia a similar thing may or may not exist with those over 70s who have taken advantage of the anti pneumonia vac for the over 70s??

I wonder!

All 'at risk' people within the UK are offered the flu & pneumonia vaccines as a matter of course each autumn. I would think that most people take the NHS up on this offer each winter, considering that its mainly the 'at risk' people suffering the highest mortality rate it seems that the answer is no.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I wonder!

I’m pleased to say that my pension portfolio has shown a slow but steady recovery over the past seven days.

mikench

Reaction score
All investments, particularly for pensions, are long term so they can ride out peaks and troughs. I have alwaŷs thought that share prices are manipulated by the quoted companies and market makers. Start a bull market and people buy , create the opposite and they sell. This can and is done regularly. The overall trajectory may be up or down but falls and increases can be manipulated by the giving of good or bad news as in the pharmas mentioned by PJ.

Remember companies can and do buy their own shares. Boards are all on share purchase / incentive schemes and know the figures long before the markets. There may be rules about insider trading but they are not foolproof.

Krang

Reaction score
All investments, particularly for pensions, are long term so they can ride out peaks and troughs. I have alwaŷs thought that share prices are manipulated by the quoted companies and market makers. Start a bull market and people buy , create the opposite and they sell. This can and is done regularly. The overall trajectory may be up or down but falls and increases can be manipulated by the giving of good or bad news as in the pharmas mentioned by PJ.

Remember companies can and do buy their own shares. Boards are all on share purchase / incentive schemes and know the figures long before the markets. There may be rules about insider trading but they are not foolproof.

Having seen what happened during the financial crisis I turned all my money into sovereigns as soon as I realised coronavirus was going to be so damaging to the economy. Though the gold price hasn't increased so much as it did during the financial crisis yet.. Maybe it will increase more once the scale of the recession is clearer. Most online bullion shops have actually stopped delivering. They claim its because they cant get curriers, yet Amazon and everywhere else still can.. Most places have stopped taking cash.. Seems designed to keep the wealth in vaults and banks rather than in peoples physical possession.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I doubt anyone professes to be an expert in anything and those that clearly are in angling are too modest to say so. We are from all sorts of backgrounds and form opinions from a whole host of sources. I am as sceptical about google as I am about government and their battery of experts. Those experts include people behind the scenes like Cummings( found by a commons select committee to be unfit for public office , like Priti Patel) and medical experts who may be just towing the party line.

My views on our PM are well known as are my views on Trump. The latter is very accurately satirised by a joke put up by John Keane about him being the captain of the titanic. Yet still the Americans voted for him and may do so again.

It is acknowledged in scientific circles that data and reports of breakthroughs in science from China, should be regarded dubiously. They cannot be trusted and there are many examples I can give. The Chinese have dealt with the outbreak shoddily at best and deviously at worst in failing to notify the WHO and other countries.

We all have opinions and asking someone on this forum for one on any subject is going to produce different responses. After all we cannot decide collectively on which are the best hooks or line so we haven't a prayer with politics, health and other potentially contentious subjects.

I like to think we all try our best to give genuine best advice either from within our own knowledge or personal experience and long may that continue.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My gold is doing OK. :)

krang, there you are, I have been worried about you, thought you might have slipped off to impale some fish, damn right too little B*******s, never understood all the gip you got. And as for the stupid no fishing laws, what a load of tossers. Wouldn't have a couple of Kruggerands you could lend me, just to tide me over, give em back in a couple of months. Thanks.

Reaction score
Having an opinion on the disease itself,maybe,having an idea on a politician in this given situation is very difficult to prove or disprove,just think we could always have Jeremy Corbin,a thought I find terrifying,and that is from a lifelong labour voter,this current situation is being governed by the overall concensus of our scientific and medical minds and announced by govt,thats how i see it at least...

Reaction score
Oh my,what a surprise,China's death figures have been upped,still bullshine,but....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I see we had to ship a load of Europeans in to pick the fruit harvest yesterday. I wonder what all those that voted to kick old Johnny Foreigner out think about that now. And Boris, wonder what he thinks about charging foreign NHS workers an excess charge to work here now that two saved his life.