Lockdown effect on fishing ?

Philip

Reaction score
What with the lockdown and fishing surely being curtailed what do you think the effects will be on the fish & fishing ?

Will the environment and the fish benefit from the rest ? Or will the overstocked lakes stock suffer from a lack of anglers baits ?

And what about when things return to normal ? … will it be like the first day after a close season & will the fishes guard be down & we are heading for bumper bags & that uncatchable monster suddenly have its defenses down & become an easy target ?

As this is such a unique situation its difficult to predict what will happen – what do you think ?

Gaston664

Reaction score
Is it confirmed that we aren't allowed to fish currently?

Just in terms of if it would be seen as out "one exercise a day".

I am staying home anyway, and won't be fishing. Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stevejay

Reaction score
Yes..............stay at home is the requirement.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I dont think it will do the fish much harm...it might do them some good to have a proper break. It will certainly do the banks some good.

I wouldnt like to say what effect ia break would have on the fishing. The much awaited post close season bonanza ( when it applied everywhere) never seemed to materialise anywhere near me.

I suppose it could be the death knell for some commercial fisheries given the timing. Hopefully the total lockdown will not be too long.

xenon

Reaction score
how many clubs have put a ban in place? For what it worth I will be going once a week to my usual close season venue. I square this with myself because I can do this without seeing another soul so Im not putting anyone in danger, Besides, if i dont get out a last once a week i will go round the bend.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You’re no different to most of us wanting to get out and fish but you are defying the express wishes of the government, stay at home, essential travel only. I cannot see it than anything other than an act of selfishness and irresponsibility.

Keith M

Reaction score
Im very reluctantly abiding by the rules and not going fishing, although I could get in my car and travel a mile away to a private estate lake and not come in contact with another soul all day however rules are rules and if I did get caught I could lose my lifetimes free membership so it’s not really worth it.

Keith

steve2

Reaction score
How many clubs with bans in place, all of mine. They have also suspended membership so anyone caught fishing will be classed as poaching.

xenon

Reaction score
You’re no different to most of us wanting to get out and fish but you are defying the express wishes of the government, stay at home, essential travel only. I cannot see it than anything other than an act of selfishness and irresponsibility.

I say again, I can, and do, do this without meeting anyone else at all so the chances of transmission are, count them, zero.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a member of two clubs and both of them have closed all their waters....which is the propper thing to do under the circumstances.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say again, I can, and do, do this without meeting anyone else at all so the chances of transmission are, count them, zero.

You’re missing the point entirely (deliberately most likely). Fishing is off limits regardless of how safe you think it might be.

chrissh

Reaction score

Under government guidance all travel is limited to essential travel only.
Daily exercise should be taken locally to your home.
Fishing is not a daily exercise or essential travel

rich66

Reaction score
Interesting question, my old club used to enforce the closed season on it’s still waters. After 3 months I used to make an effort to get on there as soon as possible after it opened again.
Every time it was a disappointment the fish just wouldn’t feed for the first week. You’d catch the odd one or two but no one did much good. Maybe it was the weather or whatever who knows. I know the last year I was a member there I deliberately left it another week after it opened and had far better results than I had before.

Just to add I would have thought the true commercials would be ok as they would have been fed by the owners

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I can see as well as you how many are dying. Calling me nasty names might make you feel better but does not alter my case, which I believe to be valid.

A virus can live two hours outside the body at least, in a 20mph wind it can travel 40 miles in that time. You think you can't catch it just because your in an out of the way fishing spot!

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
A virus can live two hours outside the body at least, in a 20mph wind it can travel 40 miles in that time. You think you can't catch it just because your in an out of the way fishing spot!

Had not considered that. Just did a bit of googling and came across this-
How Long Will Coronavirus Live on Surfaces or in the Air Around You? - The New York Times

You have convinced me and Im not stubborn enough to not be able to change my mind, so until this horror show is over, Im not going anywhere.

john step

Reaction score

That is a very interesting point. I have never heard this mentioned before by all those giving advice on the box. I wonder if this is the reason for the amazingly speedy spread of it across continents.
On the face of it this would seem more to the point than the 6 feet rule.

Anyone know for sure from scientific studies if it can spread like that on the wind?

xenon

Reaction score
That is a very interesting point. I have never heard this mentioned before by all those giving advice on the box. I wonder if this is the reason for the amazingly speedy spread of it across continents.
On the face of it this would seem more to the point than the 6 feet rule.

Anyone know for sure from scientific studies if it can spread like that on the wind?
if that NY times article is anywhere near right then office air conditioning is a fiendishly tailor made device to spread the damn thing to everyone in the building!