What's your favourite feature to fish to?

silvers

Reaction score
Overhanging willow, with or without branches in the water.

Otherwise, 1 foot past the crease on the inside ... conveyor belt for roach food!

bracket

Reaction score
For me, most of the things already mentioned. In addition on a river, three foot over gravel is good. Pete.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Apart from the obvious, many already mentioned, I spend a lot of time during the summer month when the water is low a clear studying the topography of the local rivers and streams. The information gained pays dividends when the water is high and coloured - it's amazing how even a relatively small 'pothole' in the bed can hold so many fish....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Might be worth relating this story again although it's not the norm but it does relate to my Fishing Spot Enigma thread.
Mate of mine, we fished every week and for years we went to the same stretch of river on and off. One day we walked a bit further than usual and he find a nice lily pad. he had a good day in relation to what we normally had including a couple of nice river tench, he was made up with that. He was sold, wouldn't fish anywhere else after that for the rest of the year, hardly ever caught another fish and certainly no tench. Come the next season he was straight back on it with the same result. I tried to wean him away but he wouldn't have it, apart from anything else I got peed off having to walk to it- it was a fair distance, eventually he accepted it and went back to normal AND started to catch some fish but it took a good year or two.
Fishing, no rhyme or reason to it, makes men go mad:)

Last edited:

Paste paul

Reaction score
I used to love trotting a float down a weir on Newark dyke many years ago ...... not done this for years though....
I’ve got to say a lovely margin maybe with overhanging bushes always looks inviting.

Aknib

Reaction score
I used to love trotting a float down a weir on Newark dyke many years ago ...... not done this for years though....
I’ve got to say a lovely margin maybe with overhanging bushes always looks inviting.

Is that the weir that comes off the main river at Bob's Island Paul, just before Newark town centre?

I know that stretch very well, it tends to get a bit crowded these days but there are still some very good swims and fish along there, especially for those that try doing something a little bit different during quieter times.