Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What's your favourite feature to fish to?

Water...................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

Two of my favourites are: Undercuts on the outside of bends, especially if they have a lot of undergrowth cover over them and not too many roots; and undercuts directly under weir sills; unfortunately a lot of our weirs have been replaced with concrete runoffs so undercut weir sills are becoming a thing of the past.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 30-03-2020 at 11:02.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Mudline up against island on commercials along with overhanging foliage, also margins but prefer shallow margins around 2' then a top2 plus 2 which will put me on the channel on commercial.
    On a canal, like Kev says up against moored boats, I fish the front end of boat, that way wont get taken around propeller at back end, Along the edges of canals whether brick or tin, again down theme track of canal.
    Also if fishing margins on a commercial, I will prod along it to see if undercut, if so will position float as close as can to it,

Blog Entries

My all time favourite amongst many is an underwater " hump" on the riverbed on the river Trent.
    It's a Barbel anglers dream if they float fish it with trotting gear.
    The fish lay immediately behind it and seldom need to bat a fin to hold position in the heavy flow overhead and food particles that run up and along it simply fall down into the Barbels lie.
    Watching a float run down towards it sees it lean forward as the leaded line hits the rise then as the line clears the rise the float corrects itself .
    That when the baited hook as fallen into the Barbels lie and it's uncanny how the bait is taken at that point.
    I've taken loads of fish from that swim , often on the first run down with no free offerings to get the Barbel into a feeding mood, plenty of big ones, doubles up to 14-1.
    Anyone fishing a lead rig from the other bank will get the odd fish if their bait happens to land in the correct spot but I would doubt they would have any idea why.
    Swims like that on the river are like hens teeth to locate but they are superb holding spots.
    Last year I found another purely by accident when fishing hemp and tare for roach in a swim I hadn't fished since the early seventies in a match.
    My other favourite is the old willow tree with trailing branches that hold back drifting debris on a small river setting, usually home to good Chub and Barbel.

A wide, fairly deep, steadily flowing, open river, the crease and drop-off about 2-3 rod-lengths out, with NO obvious fish-holding features at all.
    This gives you a chance of drawing fish into the swim with sensible feeding instead of having to get on "feature" pegs where the fish are comfortable and hardly ever move.

Just thought of another - more for clear vision than finding fish, though: Anything on a far bank that puts a solid reflection on the water and the luxury of seeing your float with ease. Conversely, an open swim where you can see a black tip perfectly. All things being equal, I'll often pick a swim just for those reasons.

A pet hate is having to fish against "mixed "reflections, such as bare trees, or trot through swims where you float goes through light, dark and dappled patches.

Guess where the fish always choose to sit on these pegs

But this peg, on a slow river, couldn't be more helpful to highlight your waggler

That first photo's the top of the pride water just below the Derwent isn't it Kev?

Quote Originally Posted by rob48 View Post
    That first photo's the top of the pride water just below the Derwent isn't it Kev?
    That's right, Rob. Well - nearly; you're just above where the T+M comes in, and then below that is the Derwent mouth. That footbridge takes you over to the start of the canal towpath.

Blog Entries

Anyone would think I've never seen a photograph before, coz I mark nearly all I see as like. It's true I love fishing related photos.
    Where features are concerned, I prefer shallow margins up against a mud bank. Casting to an island second.
    Nothing new in both but they do hold fish.

Very often when out with our kid or my m8's, and if one of us was catching their float was the feature we all cast to!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast