Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's your favourite feature to fish to?

Islands, channels, gravel bars, submerged trees, drop-offs...

The list goes on but I'm guessing we all have a 'favourite' when it comes to features, be it an overhanging tree or the course of an old riverbed running through a lake.

Mine is as simple as they get... The margins, especially where deep water comes right up to them.

I'm convinced that just as we are attracted to water and will often have a walk over to investigate, fish behave in a similar manner especially where they feel there is no threat.

The advantages are there too as they offer pinpoint feeding accuracy and easy presentation, everything is as good as magnified and it's incredibly simple compared to, let's say, leading around but I do tend to catch more than my fair share of fish at silly close range.

There will always be general exceptions where distance becomes a factor, such as big Bream fishing, but even those have been caught literally off the tip where the depth is there.

I guess much of this might have something to do with what you're fishing for but species aside what's your favourite feature to fish to and why?
    Born to mow... Long grass is our enemy!

Default Re: What's your favourite feature to fish to?

Lily pads, lily pads and then lily pads!

Not lily pads as I invariably come a cropper sooner or later. I too like the margins and as an old guy once said to me as I tried again to cast up to the opposite bank on a snake lake, " what's up with this side , the margin your are sat on" he was right and fish found almost under your feet are exciting to catch particularly if they can be seen mooching around.

Lily pads for me too, the shelf of an island if it’s on the sunny side and not too far out. I can’t cast accurately too far out. Lol

A nice big weed raft on the far bank of a small river

They're all good. it's probably a relic of my canal fishing days, but I'm especially fond of fishing against moored boats, far bank reedbeds, willows that trail in the water and masonry - the older the better.

On the Shroppie in Chester, there are swims with a far bank of high sandstone, and on the Leeds -Liverpool around Burnley you could fish up to old factory walls of millstone grit.

I also like fishing right in the edge - preferably with a flat-topped float like a dibber shotted down flat to the surface - another old canal habit.

I am a big lover of the margins. I would go so far as to say that probably 90% of my fishing is an underarm lob from the bank.

Hard to pick just one feature. in rivers anything that diverts the current gets my attention. If it coincides with a downstream drop off in depth & cover then I would just have to cast to it.

I am a drop of man as well ( oo ar). Bottom of the shelf especially if it coincides with a reed bed or overhanging tree.

Trouble with this thread is it has got my juices going thinking of a long rod /pin/pole float and a lobworm and its only been 9 days since my last outing.
    Last edited by john step; 29-03-2020 at 18:31.

On a small river, a temporary foamy sh1t-raft.

On a stillwater, any feature in the margins that helps me keep the feeding accurate, ideally some pads but usually a reflection.

In no particular order-the crease, underarming into weed rafts, trotting hard up against far bank reed beds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast