Are you still buying new tackle?

John Keane

Reaction score
Just ordered a new 36” Dinsmores specimen/carp/pike landing net head from eBay as, when sorting my garage out, I found that mice had eaten bloody big holes in my Abu one!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Spelling mistakes.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread I have just found and bought Daiwa Amorphous Whisker Super Light float rod from a very nice chap in Barnsley.

The rod has had a Fuji reel seat fitted which I’ve mixed feelings about, I could always revert it back to original state but doubt I’ll bother.

That's a real find, John. They don't make them like that anymore. What's the Fuji seat like? You can see from the pic below that rather than replace, I just wrapped a bit of tape to offset the wear/compression from years of use.

As to changing back to a plain handle, I'd consider it if I didn't like the fitting. I changed the sliding bands - like the composite ones in the pic but the useless metal originals - on a Diaflash, and ended up as shown, a Fuji with a palmswell. But I can't get over my hatred for that foam stuff on float rods, and I may take it back to Plain cork. I'll probably have spent the price of an ok rod messing with the handle, but I'd sooner have one rod I really like than several I'm indifferent to. Any chance of a pic of what your Daiwa handle looks like?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is so strange Kev, if it had happened today I would have thought it was a prank.

I’ve had a number of “wanted” ads on various Facebook groups for a few months now, plenty of time wasters, some trying to sell me a something akin to a broomstick handle, I had given up any hope of a genuine enquiry.

Then out of the blue a couple of days ago I had not one but two offers, both guys same Christian name, both from Barnsley and both offering the exact rod with modified reel seat, both asking a similar amount of money too, you couldn’t make it up!

One of the guys has said he won’t sell before it’s safe to do so as he is in total lockdown, so there’s one still out there for anyone interested!

I’ve had these photos from the seller I’m buying from.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
This is so strange Kev, if it had happened today I would have thought it was a prank.

I’ve had a number of “wanted” ads on various Facebook groups for a few months now, plenty of time wasters, some trying to sell me a something akin to a broomstick handle, I had given up any hope of a genuine enquiry.

Then out of the blue a couple of days ago I had not one but two offers, both guys same Christian name, both from Barnsley and both offering the exact rod with modified reel seat, both asking a similar amount of money too, you couldn’t make it up!

One of the guys has said he won’t sell before it’s safe to do so as he is in total lockdown, so there’s one still out there for anyone interested!

I’ve had these photos from the seller I’m buying from.

Same handle as I put on! I would agree that out of many reel seats I've seen, it's a comfortable shape.
That is a weird story, where two come along at once. I'm not that surprised about Barnsley. Daiwa were massive in South Yorkshire then (and now for all I know) and I've bought a couple of Connoisseurs from that area. Must be something in the water.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The tracking number starts with two letters.....PB

Has to be an omen.:)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm holding off the Sphere; can't justify it for one swim that might not be available in the future due to possibility of all the land being sold - doesn't mean I'm not tempted but more likely to spend similar money on a video camera.

My rod mod for screw down rods continues to be the best for me and I can't figure a better arrangement for the Allerton at the moment short of an expensive rebuild of the handle.

aIMG_3956.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think I’ll buy any terminal tackle for a while, it’s sounds inappropriately described!

rob48

Reaction score
So, Browning are introducing a new Sphere Silverlite Whip at the end of May, just in time for the new river season. ******!

rob48

Reaction score
To compete with top range Daiwa whip ?
Any idea on price,?

Nothing as yet. All the Sphere stuff's expensive because it's Browning's top of the range, having said that it's also high quality and the rods I've got do what they're intended to do.
The Silverlite poles are not top priced as they are a bit of a niche product but again, can't be faulted for their application.
If I'm still kicking around after the present nightmare is over I'll likely reward myself with one.

YouTube

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That looks very nice and very expensive.

mikench

Reaction score
Get thee behind me Satan besides you won't tempt me with a pole or whip.:rolleyes: A rod however...........:)

Krang

Reaction score
Hell yeah! Just ordered £70 worth of lures from the states. Won't be here before the end of the month tho apparently. :( Still, who knows what might happen, which businesses will go bust and what will/won't be available in the future. Just glad to know they're on their way.

steve2

Reaction score
Where can you buy spare landing net mesh, I have a number of chewed nets that I want to renew. I can find plenty of 42" carp size net mesh on line but none for smaller 18" to 24" oval nets.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Where can you buy spare landing net mesh, I have a number of chewed nets that I want to renew. I can find plenty of 42" carp size net mesh on line but none for smaller 18" to 24" oval nets.

Don't waste your time, you are searching for something that doesn't exist.

John Keane

Reaction score

Have you checked eBay? I went on looking for a replacement 36” net and ended up just buying a whole new head. I’m sure I saw replacement meshes for smaller nets, including those rubber things that look like colanders.

Replacement Fishing Landing Net Mesh High Strength Fish Bag Various Sizes | eBay

Remember sizes in this ad are in cm so there should be something that fits the bill from 16” to 24”

mikench

Reaction score
The Dinesmores nets are good value and not expensive. I have 3 in different sizes so couldn't be bothered in remeshing any of them ; I would buy new.

steve2

Reaction score
Found some on Snowbee website but it works not much cheaper than buying a new net. Looks like something else for the tip when it opens again.