Are you still buying new tackle?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered some heavy nymph hooks and some traditionl nymph hooks from Orvis onlne and then found some new threads online so ordered a few new colours.

I also ordered a new spare spool for my Battenkill reel . . . . then it was necessary to order backing and a new line to go on it . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Dinesmores nets are good value and not expensive. I have 3 in different sizes so couldn't be bothered in remeshing any of them ; I would buy new.

They do some good stuff, their rod rest sticks are belters!

Did you get your powerpointers Mike?

mikench

Reaction score
I did Ian all 4 so I can keep two in each quiver. I also bought a pair of the Drennan rests and the Leeda ones. You cost me a fortune.:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I did Ian all 4 so I can keep two in each quiver. I also bought a pair of the Drennan rests and the Leeda ones. You cost me a fortune.:rolleyes:

:hand: come on, you didn't need any persuasion, you spotted, you liked, and you got :lol2:

mikench

Reaction score
I've been looking for one of these rods for at least a year nand finally located one in mint condition. I reckon it will go perfectly with the BJ center pin. Roll on normality.

IMG_6152.jpg

Krang

Reaction score
I've been looking for one of these rods for at least a year nand finally located one in mint condition. I reckon it will go perfectly with the BJ center pin. Roll on normality.

View attachment 8731

What would you use that set up for? I've never seen that sort of reel mounted on a rod like that. Only ever on the end of the grip.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What would you use that set up for? I've never seen that sort of reel mounted on a rod like that. Only ever on the end of the grip.

Check out the moral boost thread and you'll see lots of them.

Krang

Reaction score
Check out the moral boost thread and you'll see lots of them.

So you guys are using them for trotting floats... Interesting. What is casting like with them?

Usually when I'm trotting lures downstream I just leave the bail arm open. Tho in this case the retrieve is the important bit. Do you think a centerpin would have any advantages for me?

I've often considered baitcasters before but using a centerpin never even crossed my mind.

mikench

Reaction score
If Carling made float rods it would be............:rolleyes:

I'm a happy angler or will be when I can go fishing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So you guys are using them for trotting floats... Interesting. What is casting like with them?

Usually when I'm trotting lures downstream I just leave the bail arm open. Tho in this case the retrieve is the important bit. Do you think a centerpin would have any advantages for me?

I've often considered baitcasters before but using a centerpin never even crossed my mind.

I use them for trotting and legering on rivers and float and leger on still waters. I can cast to about 25 to 30yds with a centrepin so distance is restricted. If I fish a still water where I need to cast further than I can with a pin or just feel like it, i'll use a fixed spool.
Regarding lure fishing with a pin, I personally wouldn't bother, and think your way better with a fixed spool....jmo.

Krang

Reaction score
I use them for trotting and legering on rivers and float and leger on still waters. I can cast to about 25 to 30yds with a centrepin so distance is restricted. If I fish a still water where I need to cast further than I can with a pin or just feel like it, i'll use a fixed spool.
Regarding lure fishing with a pin, I personally wouldn't bother, and think your way better with a fixed spool....jmo.

Thanks that makes sense. I've stuck with with fixed spools because I've learned to cast accurately with them. A new set up would have to have big advantages for me to want to re-learn casting with it.

mikench

Reaction score
I uprooted a few trees today trying out the rod with reel attached to make sure it was as sound as I thought. I used 6lb sensor and the conifers conceded before the rod and line.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Well I gave in on buying tackle. I got a stack of amazon gift cards for my birthday, so I’ve bought a new rod, and 2 rod rests, even splashed out on a packet of spade end hooks.

mikench

Reaction score
Very sensible Rich. You can now look forward to trying them out one day.:) I'm thrilled with my Avenger rod and it's like new.

Last edited: