Are you still buying new tackle?

Reaction score
Ive just bought five 2.5aa puddle chuckers,I use them on shallow rivers as they work similarly to a Trent trotter.

Aknib

Reaction score
One of the things I did during the first week of lockdown was clear one of my fishing drawers out in the garage and it's the one where things tend to get chucked in because they don't really have a specific place.

I don't know about buying tackle, I could open a stall selling it!

Shot, hooks, line, floats, leads, bite indicators, numerous tackle boxes, short bank sticks, buzz bars and a spomb (where the hell they came from i'll never know) you name it :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
My query doesn't justify a fresh thread so I'll raise it here.

IMG_6152.jpg

I bought the above rod a week ago and its is like new save for one blemish on the duplon above the reel seat.

IMG_6225.jpg

I think the previous owner kept a hook in it and a barbed one at that. Can anyone suggest a way to fill the hole and make it inconspicuous. I am happy to leave it alone if i was likely to make it more noticeable.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score

View attachment 8745

I bought the above rod a week ago and its is like new save for one blemish on the duplon above the reel seat.

View attachment 8747

I think the previous owner kept a hook in it and a barbed one at that. Can anyone suggest a way to fill the hole and make it inconspicuous. I am happy to leave it alone if i was likely to make it more noticeable.

How about a smear of black silicone sealant, waterproof, resilient and good adhesion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Molehill

Reaction score
I have a box of "bits" arriving in the post this week. Sorted through my gear and ordered up replacements for the usual disposable items, hooks, line, floats and so on.
Hell of a lot of stuff out of stock, might be worth bearing in mind as China is probably not sending tackle over and our companies not restocking for a while.
Only supposition but may be worth grabbing those items if you see them now, not that I think we will be using them for quite a while.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I have a box of "bits" arriving in the post this week. Sorted through my gear and ordered up replacements for the usual disposable items, hooks, line, floats and so on.
Hell of a lot of stuff out of stock, might be worth bearing in mind as China is probably not sending tackle over and our companies not restocking for a while.
Only supposition but may be worth grabbing those items if you see them now, not that I think we will be using them for quite a while.

I grabbed some Dave Harrell line on that basis; now well-stocked on hooks, line and shot.

Reaction score
I'm not buying new tackle during the lockdown but plan to splash-out when the shops reopen. A new pole and a 13' float rod perhaps.
I will not be buying online but going to my local tackle shop. It's a one-man operation and after this shutdown (during what should be his busiest time of year) he'll need all the support I can offer......that's assuming he will survive. We may find ourselves with fewer tackle shops come the summer, then what will happen when we just need a packet of size 16 and a pint of maggots?
Stay healthy, Peter

Reaction score

View attachment 8745

View attachment 8747

Try the black sealant,a tiniest smear on the duplon right at the butt Mike,just to see how it looks,if you arent happy with it,leave the repair,lovely rod,hope you get out and enjoy it,asap...

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Alan. I'll give the matter some thought and want to avoid bodging an unnecessary repair. I'm going to try a tiny amount of soft furniture wax to see if it will fill the hole but will wait for a eureka moment.

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
Steve2 don't throw the landing net head out. You can wrap it in plumbing insulation and put it on an extendable bank stick to use as a pole support when fishing on the canal. When shipping back it will clear the hedge behind you while the front of the pole goes into the pole sock.
Also you can use the 3/8'' British Standard Fine Thread attachment to make say a small side tray etc.
Regards
John

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered a new 4# fly line from my local tackle shop online. I know it might be a pound or two more expensive this way but I prefer to support my local shop rather than the giant group.

mikench

Reaction score
How's life down under Crystal Bend and are you in lockdown? Welcome to the forum.

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
How's life down under Crystal Bend and are you in lockdown? Welcome to the forum.

Cheers Mike:thumbs:
I'm in Melbourne and fighting cabin fever like everybody else!
Great to have the forum as a way of taking the mind off things but I'm sure come June we'll all be in a better place.

Reaction score
Bloody hope so,welcome mate,the forum is a bigger madhouse than usual,and that is just my input...

mikench

Reaction score
I'm in lockdown with my little nest of vipers , er , I mean er indoors. I admire your optimism and hope you're right.:)

John Keane

Reaction score

View attachment 8745

View attachment 8747

Do you have any bits of the ubiquitous Duplon, Mike? Same stuff as your holey handle and present on all sorts of fishing stuff? If not let me know and I’ll send you a bit. Cut out a long matchstick from the Duplon (won’t matter that it’s a square section then coat the end with a bit of some suitable glue and wedge it into the hole (if necessary deepen the hole to make the repair more secure). After the glue has dried trim the excess flush with your handle and give a light rub with very fine sandpaper. Should be undetectable.

Reaction score
You saying that reminded me of this being done at Leslies of Luton John,twenty plus years ago now...

mikench

Reaction score
I'll have a look John and if i need some I'll take you up on your kind offer. Thanks.