Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Where will you go and what Tackle will you use when........

I will be on a local stretch of the Hampshire Avon as soon as allowed with a Sage #4 rod and reel and a box of dry flies with a few nymphs in a spare box, just in case . . . . .

The river is right opposite to my house but the stretch where I have permission to fish is just a mile away. I am not too bothered if the restrictions last until after "duffers fortnight" as I generally try to avoid that time anyway.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I'm itching to get on the Leeds Liverpool Canal. Will be using my 11ft Diawa float rod, fishing light with maggots or worm. My ambition, before all this kicked off, was to explore the canal more. It takes me back to fishing as a kid.
    My little girl and myself had also drew up a plan to catch from every park lake covered by our Liverpool City Council permit. I will be using my quiver tip, with a simple feeder or leger rig, looking for decent sized fish, Emily will have the 3m whip out with single maggot or bread.
    It's good to have these things to look forward to.

Hopefully on a steady stretch of river at summer level catching silvers on my Rive r-waggler light 13'.

Depending when that is it will be trotting on the Trent or carping on my local waters. Its fun to catch them on the float.
    Some very biggies in there. Come to think of it the tench will also be calling out to me. So much to do and so little time!

I’ve got two things planned. If the rivers are open then it’s a bit of trotting on the Eden in Kent or the Medway. The other is some trips after catfish which one of my clubs lakes seem to have a good head of. One came out just before the floods at 71lb and there are bigger in there. I know they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but it’s not a species I have deliberately targeted before.

There’s a chap who used to post on here and also on another site I belonged to. He had what I thought was a particularly good idea for using pastes but in larger sizes than you would usually use. The gist of the idea was that you made a paste out of anything you fancied; Ground up trout pellets, fish meal, liquidised fish, liver or pretty well anything really. The next step would be to obtain a large syringe from a chemists and cut off the needle end. This modified syringe is then filled with the paste and a piece of nylon mesh from a pair of tights placed over the end and secured in place with an elastic band. As the plunger is depressed the mesh fills like a balloon on a balloon pump and is tied off with thread once at the required size. You can nick the hook through the mesh or hair rig it with the tying thread. The paste gradually oozes through the mesh providing a scent trail. I know Mark had a few good barbel on the method but I intend using far bigger baits. A Baldrick like cunning plan. We shall see.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

It all depends on when we can go....

Tench?

Barbel?

Roach?

Grayling??

Assuming its going to be at least late May before can get fishing again, by which time the pollack should be back so it will be a walk out to Rubh' an t-Sailleir just north of Kilmaluag, Fox Prism medium spinning rod and a variety of lures, and Tronixpro XT at the ready with heavy duty gear and a big piece of mackerel for the short window in which can hold bottom there without half a church roofs worth of lead.

Blog Entries

The letter I got telling me I was in a twelve-week lockdown suggests I won't be fishing until the end of June at the earliest.
    That's aways supposing my wife recovers to drive me.
    Realistically I don't envisage fishing until next year. Of course, I will be ready anytime after my self imprisonment.

My letter said f*** o** and I'm not a Buffoon.

I will enjoy pondering location, bait and method even though I am currently committed to light lure fishing but that's just one day, what about the day after and the day after that and the day after that.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    By the time we get out again I will be wanting to do some waggler fishing with the Harrison GTi Match 12ft spliced tip rod I bought from a mate who owns a tackle shop and the Daiwa Ninja reel I got from Cash Generator for buttons. Or I may use the Shimano Sedona 3500 reel that I got from the same Cash Generator for a similar derisory amount.
    Is it the original GTI rod with cork handle and sling reel fittings John. They are a brilliant rod.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast