Barbless hooks just drop out if left in fish....

Reaction score
All large fish that might break you have toughish mouths,also with the semi beaked shape of many hooks today they have holding powers by design...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All large fish that might break you have toughish mouths,also with the semi beaked shape of many hooks today they have holding powers by design...

Yes and because there is no barb they keep going forward, deeper into the flesh.

That poor fish had braid trailing from the hook which i'd removed before taking the pic.

It's face was swollen to three times of what it should have been and was badly disfigured forthe rest of it's life!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here is an example od a barbed hook after being yanked into my hand....

I had a pic of a barbless one also but can find it!
If you take note the barbed hook didn't penetrate anything like as far as a barbless and when I removed them the pain was no different.

dicky123

Reaction score
Yes and because there is no barb they keep going forward, deeper into the flesh.

That poor fish had braid trailing from the hook which i'd removed before taking the pic.

It's face was swollen to three times of what it should have been and was badly disfigured forthe rest of it's life!

We'll done you, that fish will be much better off now, and will recover. I still carry some antiseptic from my carp days in the bag for such fish. Cannot conceive of using barbed hooks anymore, maybe a micro for Dace fishing days, but?