Why not have lure fishing at Farmoor reservoir?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The damaged caused by the peircing its self is negligible compared to the potential damaged caused by ripping out the hook. Speeding the pressure between three points reduces the chances of that.

Common sense should tell you that swallowing this:

/QUOTE]

Now your moving the goal posts, ripping out hooks has nothing to do with what we were discussing. I am starting to fail to understand what your saying so I will pass out now but thanks for the discussion.

Last edited:

Molehill

Reaction score
The whole culture that surrounds this is ridiculous. "You can only fish for trout with an archaic method that is **** at actually catching fish" Why don't those guys all just go and cast into a swimming pool or something and leave Farmoor and fisheries like it to those of us who actually want to catch the fish, rather than people who just get off on the imagined superiority of their method?

Lure fishing is what all the young fishermen are doing. Its faster, more exiting nature has seen it grow rapidly in a short space of time, a trend that is set to continue. By sticking to 'fly only' policies trout fisheries are condemning themselves to financial ruin.

The fly fishing emperor wears no clothes and more people are seeing this. Farmoor must adapt in order to survive rather than continue to cater only to an ever shrinking demographic.

You are entirely missing the point about fly fishing, people do it because they enjoy doing it. Same as why "all the young fishermen" are lure fishing, because they enjoy it.

There are many other statements you have made that I would dispute, but I can't be bothered.

Krang

Reaction score
Didn't bother replying to that comment because it plainly wrong. You can't change the hooks on most spinners.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Didn't bother replying to that comment because it plainly wrong. You can't change the hooks on most spinners.

Yes you can.

How come you have changed your name from the occasional angler?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wrong that you never got banned within a few hours ,?
Or cant change trebles, .? A good pair of cutters and a split ring seem to do the job.

I wasn't gonn'a tell him about the split ring as he's such a lure expert he should know that already.

Krang

Reaction score
Wrong that you never got banned within a few hours ,?
Or cant change trebles, .? A good pair of cutters and a split ring seem to do the job.

Well if you want to be pedantic I suppose you could change them with a hacksaw and welding kit too. If you're that determined might be easier to just buy ones that do have changeable hooks such as the Mepps TW.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Stupid sod, who Carrie's welding kit or hacksaw when lure fishing, I decent pair of side cutters and spare selection of split rings are easier,
I see you didnt answer change of name or about getting banned,

Krang

Reaction score
Stupid sod, who Carrie's welding kit or hacksaw when lure fishing, I decent pair of side cutters and spare selection of split rings are easier,
I see you didnt answer change of name or about getting banned,

I was saying that people will continue to use trebles because they come as standard of hand tuned lures and cheap spinners without changeable hooks. Your solution is for everyone to get split rings, split ring pliers (which most fishing stores don't even sell) and wire cutters? About as realistic as getting a welding kit to modify your 99p spinner.

What do you even attach the split ring to once you've cut the wire that holds the hook?

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The Toby lures I have ,have drilled hole at the back of the lure, a split ring goes through that, As for cutters, any good hardware store will sell them,you can even get them insulated in case you want to cut wires at home.

John Keane

Reaction score
I repeat, why is anyone debating with him? Causing controversy is oxygen to trolls. Ignore him and he’ll get fed up and go away.

Krang

Reaction score
The Toby lures I have ,have drilled hole at the back of the lure, a split ring goes through that, As for cutters, any good hardware store will sell them,you can even get them insulated in case you want to cut wires at home.

Oh right now I need a drill too!

Split rings, split ring pliers, wire cutters and a drill. So much more sensible than a welding kit.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Try reading post again if you are capable, the toby lures have a hole drilled in them, pre drilled if you didnt figure that out,
As for cutters, I know lots of lure anglers who carry them, who needs split ring pliers,? What are they ,?
And still no answer to what was stated about you,

Krang

Reaction score
Try reading post again if you are capable, the toby lures have a hole drilled in them, pre drilled if you didnt figure that out,
As for cutters, I know lots of lure anglers who carry them, who needs split ring pliers,? What are they ,?
And still no answer to what was stated about you,

I'm talking about Mepps style spinners. Once you cut the wire holding the hook, what do you attach a split ring to?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Not used mepps for many years,but why cut the wire,and not just the hook.Attach splitcring to wire ,hook to split ring.
Like I said not used them for years so design may have changed

chrissh

Reaction score
I'm talking about Mepps style spinners. Once you cut the wire holding the hook, what do you attach a split ring to?

For someone that knows everything you know F all
It’s not rocket science you cut the eye on the hook or buy decent mepps that have a split ring fitted that’s killed that argument

Krang

Reaction score
For someone that knows everything you know F all
It’s not rocket science you cut the eye on the hook or buy decent mepps that have a split ring fitted that’s killed that argument

As far as I'm aware no Mepps spinners come with split rings attached.

I guess you could cut the hook. But most people won't be prepared to go to all the trouble and expense of ordering split rings etc in order to use a 99p spinner from the local tackle shop. So the use of trebles will continue and so its better to just teach people how to remove them without hurting the fish as per my original point.

If removed properly trebles are safer to the fishes mouth because they can spread the stress across more than one point. Lures with treble hooks also make gut hooking pretty much impossible because they can't be swallowed without hooking the mouth.