Why not have lure fishing at Farmoor reservoir?

Krang

Reaction score
The whole culture that surrounds this is ridiculous. "You can only fish for trout with an archaic method that is **** at actually catching fish" Why don't those guys all just go and cast into a swimming pool or something and leave Farmoor and fisheries like it to those of us who actually want to catch the fish, rather than people who just get off on the imagined superiority of their method?

Lure fishing is what all the young fishermen are doing. Its faster, more exiting nature has seen it grow rapidly in a short space of time, a trend that is set to continue. By sticking to 'fly only' policies trout fisheries are condemning themselves to financial ruin.

The fly fishing emperor wears no clothes and more people are seeing this. Farmoor must adapt in order to survive rather than continue to cater only to an ever shrinking demographic.

steve2

Reaction score
Hanningfield went any method years ago because of drop in fly fishing numbers. When the close season changed a large number of trout waters reverted to coarse fishing. My nearest fly
only trout water is now 30 miles away.

Krang

Reaction score
Hanningfield went any method years ago because of drop in fly fishing numbers. When the close season changed a large number of trout waters reverted to coarse fishing. My nearest fly
only trout water is now 30 miles away.

Well the only rainbow trout near me is Farmoor which is going in the opposite direction and still making new rules banning anything that isn't fly enough.

Why did those fisheries change to "course"? Why not just have trout fishing with lures..

I don't subscribe to this course/game nonsense at all.

Aknib

Reaction score
Lure fishing is what all the young fishermen are doing

I'm not denying there has been an increased take up but I don't see anything overwhelming in my neck of the woods, I would still class it as quite niche by comparison to the vast majority of anglers I see although, to be fair, there aren't that many young anglers around these days and those that are seem to be pursuing the Carp scene.

Maybe those old fluff chuckers were also lure fishing when they were younger and that they've simply evolved into what they are doing now and the business model of the fishery is based more on supporting regular, reliable income against something they are uncertain about in terms of the long term retention of a reliable income?

fishface1

Reaction score
There is (or at least was) lure fishing at Farmoor. You can go after the monster perch and pike there, from,I think, the first of November. There are (were) rules about size of lure, because let’s face it, it is too easy to catch trout on spinning tackle.

Unfortunately, rainbows aren’t great for catch and release either, particularly if impaled on trebles.

bullet

Reaction score
The whole culture that surrounds this is ridiculous. "You can only fish for trout with an archaic method that is **** at actually catching fish"

Don't know why you would say that.

Krang

Reaction score
There is (or at least was) lure fishing at Farmoor. You can go after the monster perch and pike there, from,I think, the first of November. There are (were) rules about size of lure, because let’s face it, it is too easy to catch trout on spinning tackle.

Unfortunately, rainbows aren’t great for catch and release either, particularly if impaled on trebles.

Catching trout on spinning tackle is no more easy than catching chub on spinning tackle and is harder than catching pike and perch.

Trebles, if removed properly put less stress on a fish's mouth because they spread the force over more than one point. Only one of the reservoirs at Farmoor is catch and release anyway so the mantra about treble hooks is no justification.

Krang

Reaction score

Because of the "its too easy catching trout on spinning tackle". Pretty much another way of saying "fly fishing is a **** method of catching fish".

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

Trout and all game fish are easy to catch on bait or lures. Just have a crack at grayling on a river and often within seconds you are into a game fish. Not everything has to be easy. Probably the deadliest method for crucians carp is to lob out a method feeder but it certainly isn’t as much fun as taking them on a float.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Krang

Reaction score
I'm not denying there has been an increased take up but I don't see anything overwhelming in my neck of the woods, I would still class it as quite niche by comparison to the vast majority of anglers I see although, to be fair, there aren't that many young anglers around these days and those that are seem to be pursuing the Carp scene.

Maybe those old fluff chuckers were also lure fishing when they were younger and that they've simply evolved into what they are doing now and the business model of the fishery is based more on supporting regular, reliable income against something they are uncertain about in terms of the long term retention of a reliable income?

I reckon if you walked about with lures you'd meet plenty of other lure anglers. I certainly do. Every so often I'll walk past a bivvy too, or a row of people I always assume are match anglers. But lure angling is by far the newest of the methods. Hence I say its growing quickly.

Many of the customers at Farmoor had taken to casting out and then setting the rod down in the manner of bait fishermen. The result? New rule tat rod must be held at all times. Banning half your customers because their fly fishing isnt pure enough hardly seems like "supporting regular, reliable income" to me. More like some bizarre cult throwing out non believers.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
So you quantify all fishing methods by how effective they are?
Fair enough, I'll just go and get my Gill Net out of the garage.

Personally, I'm not a fan of "Flyonlyism", and I really don't see what difference it makes what method you use on stocked Trout waters with limit bags.

Saying fly fishing is a ***** way of catching fish would suggest to me your not very good at it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There’s a great lure fishing forum where you’d be totally at home with like minded anglers.......just saying.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just read Skippys post

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Lure angling has been around for decades, maybe even centuries. It’s just now we seem to have a new wave of instant lure anglers. Have you tried getting a group of anglers together and negotiating with Farmoor? The trout guys pay a decent amount.

Krang

Reaction score
hurr durr lure angling's been around a long time cuz I went a long time ago

Well, bait fishing was invented 40,000 years ago. Lauri Rapala invented the first modern lure in 1936.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
Lure angling has been around for decades, maybe even centuries. It’s just now we seem to have a new wave of instant lure anglers. Have you tried getting a group of anglers together and negotiating with Farmoor? The trout guys pay a decent amount.

I suppose I could call them. But given what they did to the people whose technique started to resemble bait fishing I'm not too optimistic.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, bait fishing was invented 40,000 years ago. Lauri Rapala invented the first modern lure in 1936.

You’re not into googling then?

“Fishing lures have been around since antiquity and were first made out of bone and bronze. The Chinese and Egyptians used fishing rods, hooks, and lines as early as 2,000 B.C.E. The first hooks were made out bronze and were strong and thin. The Chinese were the first to make fishing line, spun from fine silk. The modern fishing lure was made commercially in the United States in the early 1900s by the firm of Heddon and Pflueger in Michigan. Before this time most fishing lures were made by individual craftsman. Commercial-made lures were based on the same ideas used by individual craftsmen but on a larger scale”