Clutch or backwind

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The only reel I have that I backwind with is a old abu 501 closed face and that's because the handle has the drag on the handle.
Other than that no backwinding for me. I usually have my clutch set lighti'sh and use my finger to slow it down as I do with my centrepin.

Keith M

Reaction score
Ive lost count of the number of times I’ve had my knuckles rapped when a large fish had suddenly decided to go for a run over the years when playing a fish through the handle with my drag fully tightened up; and the number of front drags that I’ve had that couldn’t be adjusted for lighter lines enough before it started coming off of its screw thread.

But when I’ve compared these poorly designed reels with some well designed and more modern reels I’ve seen and felt the difference straight away.
But being modern doesn’t always mean well designed of course.

If you largely target smaller species and very rarely catch the larger and harder fighting species; or you have just got used to playing larger fish through the backwind and with your drag tightened up fully without losing fish then of course a clutch isn’t really essential; but to me a good clutch and good drag are definately essentials and invaluable things to have on a reel.

Using a Centrepin is another thing completely though and my thumb and occasionally my hand cupped under the reel then becomes my clutch and my drag.:)

Keith

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Had my knuckles badly rapped on a few occasions when connected to a salmon on a double-handed rod. Drags on fly reels are useful to gradually wear a salmon down and to save your knuckles.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm a shameless and unrepentant backwinder....probably because I grew up in an era when clutches were as sticky as hell. The clutches on my reels are almost all screwed down tight.

I'm perfectly content backwinding. It feels natural to me and I can't honestly recall it ever costing me a fish.

John Keane

Reaction score
I'm a shameless and unrepentant backwinder....probably because I grew up in an era when clutches were as sticky as hell. The clutches on my reels are almost all screwed down tight.

I'm perfectly content backwinding. It feels natural to me and I can't honestly recall it ever costing me a fish.

Just think how much more efficient backwinding would be with a double handled reel? :wh

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As I still use Mitchell Matches I use a mixture of the drag and backwinding. They don't spin out of control if you let go of the handle and when I'm using 1.5lb mainline I set the drag light so that if (when) I get a tangle round the reel the line is usually saved from breaking. Backwinding is essential for my chub fishing as it's usual on the Stour to have to wind down to the float to keep them out of the bankside snags then let off line to net them - usually fishing swims up to 5 ft deep for chub.

Aknib

Reaction score
With the exception of a fairly recent trip down memory lane and the purchase of a Mitchell Match which has seen two or three outings I'm struggling to remember a time over the last two or three years where I've used anything other than the 'pin.

Having said that and going back to the early 80's Trent I'm with quite a few in that I'd be trotting with 2.6lb mainlines and 1.1 - 1.7lb hooklinks and drags back then really weren't up to it when things got challenging and back winding was my preference.

More recently I've relied exclusively on the drag, not only because they are so much better but the line strengths I'm generally using are higher and occasionally I would have dabbed between the two, back winding when the fish was moving away slowly and relying on the drag for the spurts.

Having said that and combining all types of reels and methods I haven't used a drag system yet that I would happily swap for my thumb.

terry m

Reaction score
Modern Shimano clutches are so good that I am always happy to rely on them.

Is there a better feeling (outside of the bedroom) than seeing and feeling a through action rod take on a severe battle curve whilst hearing a well adjusted clutch whizz as a good fish goes on it’s first run?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Modern Shimano clutches are so good that I am always happy to rely on them.

Is there a better feeling (outside of the bedroom) than seeing and feeling a through action rod take on a severe battle curve whilst hearing a well adjusted clutch whizz as a good fish goes on it’s first run?

Yeaph, the sound of the ratchet on a centrepin reel when a fish does a runner! Beats a fixed spool clicker by a country mile ;).

barbelboi

Reaction score
Like a few on here I tend to use a pin much more often than a f/s and 100% for trotting. That isn't because my f/s reels are inadequate, most of them are the original Japanese Shimanos, and work beautifully. It's personal preference and my belief that you have the best control over big fish on light gear once you instinctively know/feel the limits of how your setup behaves under stress...................

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like a few on here I tend to use a pin much more often than a f/s and 100% for trotting. That isn't because my f/s reels are inadequate, most of them are the original Japanese Shimanos, and work beautifully. It's personal preference and my belief that you have the best control over big fish on light gear once you instinctively know/feel the limits of how your setup behaves under stress...................

BB :boink:, I hope you have a hair net on when trotting, the last thing we want to hear about is you getting those lovely locks of hair tangled in your centrepin reel as a large fish runs for the sea.....:jumpy:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Enough of that Ian or I'll start a thread on 'what is the best line'...........................;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Enough of that Ian or I'll start a thread on 'what is the best line'...........................;)

No need to do that bb, everyone knows it's sensor :guinness: :beer: :thumbs:

Hey, check out the thread "what are you listening to now"

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would say it depends on the venue, I remember fishing a pool on Hampton Springs in Cheshire, happily catching bream and the odd carp upto around 4lb on method feeder, played them using backwind.Then.......... the tip twitches slightly, I lift into it and start reeling in whatever was on the hook, it came in like a 2lb skimmer,no backwind needed......It came within netting distance, I got the landing net ready.... and it must have seen my keepnets and thought " Match or no match,I ain't goin in one of those......" ...... The "2lb skimmer" then turned round and would have put a fish version of Usain Bolt to shame. The rod decided to bend alarmingly ( to me anyway) .... the reel was on backwind and I thought it was powered by an electric drill the way the handle was going round. I managed to set the clutch in a fashion but after a while and the fish still 40 yards away the hooklength snapped.

dicky123

Reaction score
WHY SPEND ALL THAT MONEY, on a reel with gears and fine clutches, only not use them? You may as well buy a reel simply to store line, Oh yea! a centrepin sure now you're talking. I was taught to set a clutch from the start, just a little before the line would break, its a feeling you cannot explain? I cannot remember a line breaking. Normally if I break, its curly tail at the spade end, or where any join is on the rig TBH. Its why for people like myself a good clutch is vital.

silvers

Reaction score
WHY SPEND ALL THAT MONEY, on a reel with gears and fine clutches, only not use them? You may as well buy a reel simply to store line, Oh yea! a centrepin sure now you're talking. I was taught to set a clutch from the start, just a little before the line would break, its a feeling you cannot explain? I cannot remember a line breaking. Normally if I break, its curly tail at the spade end, or where any join is on the rig TBH. Its why for people like myself a good clutch is vital.
Winding power, spool sizes and robust bail arms is the short answer. For me, a clutch is utterly superfluous and could be dispensed with by the manufacturer.
But I recognise that I’d be in a minority in the UK and more so worldwide,

terry m

Reaction score
I am surprised that the backwind disciples have not mentioned the risk of a full blooded run where a hands off approach to a whirring handle leading to overrun and subsequent snap off.