Supporting local tackle shop

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Will you be supporting your local tackle shop when the lockdown is over, or will you be buying online or using shops like Angling Direct or Fishing Republic.
I am lucky when I go up to warrington, I get a good deal from local shop, also if I go a few miles down the road to Leigh Tackle and Bait I get good deals there.
In Oxford I have mainly been using Ace Tackle at Kidlington, Tony the owner is very knowledgeable about waters in the area, he has most of what I need in stock.Also States Tackle near Linear Fisheries is another good tackle shop.
I think supporting local shops is important, I am not one of these who will go in a shop and have a dabble with something then go online to see if I can get it cheaper.

John Keane

Reaction score
Will you be supporting your local tackle shop when the lockdown is over, or will you be buying online or using shops like Angling Direct or Fishing Republic.
I am lucky when I go up to warrington, I get a good deal from local shop, also if I go a few miles down the road to Leigh Tackle and Bait I get good deals there.
In Oxford I have mainly been using Ace Tackle at Kidlington, Tony the owner is very knowledgeable about waters in the area, he has most of what I need in stock.Also States Tackle near Linear Fisheries is another good tackle shop.
I think supporting local shops is important, I am not one of these who will go in a shop and have a dabble with something then go online to see if I can get it cheaper.

I think in this day and age, that a bi-partisan approach is needed. Many small tackle shops don’t carry the huge ranges of tackle that can be found online. I’ve got a great tackle Shop in Ray’s Tackle and an Angling Superstore in Taskers within a 3 mile radius, add eBay to that and some good online retailers like Benwicks, Matchman Supplies, Bobco, etc and the Angling community is well catered for. I buy ALL my terminal tackle, bait, feed etc from Ray’s and dip in and out of the others as needed.

rayner

Reaction score
The tackle shop I use never closed, he's open daily selling mostly terminal stuff to keep him ticking over. Phone him what you need then stay in the car and he delivers your order to the your car.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’d rather shop at my local tackle shop if they stock what I’m looking for; even if it is slightly cheaper on-line.

If I can buy something several pounds cheaper on-line I let my local tackle shop know and they nearly always match the on-line price anyway.

Keith

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My excellent local indie tackle shop gives its regular customers including myself a small discount as a mark of loyalty. I do shop online and will continue to do so for certain items. However, when this is over and our shops open again (hopefully), I will be making a donation to my shop and paying back that discount as my mark of loyalty to the owner.

steve2

Reaction score
Over the years I have bought most of my new tackle from local shops. Most of my lures are second hand online buys. The last tackle I bought a complete dropshotting outfit came from my local shop at cheaper price than online or AD.
After the lockdown and sorting out all my tackle the only thing I will need to buy is line. That will be from a local tackle shop along with bait.

Unfortunately I can see a lot of small retailers not just tackle shops going to the wall.

mikench

Reaction score
My local Tackle shop is now an AD outlet but I've known the guys there since I started, it's convenient and has a good range. Obviously for classic gear I go online and keep my ear to the ground. I like buying from a variety of sources.

Aknib

Reaction score
I don't buy many big price items of tackle these days and for the consumable stuff and bait I use my local independent.

It's not really a decision for me, both the big chains and the independents wouldn't be able to source any major item replacements I might need and I feel that I'm more than well enough covered with what I've already got and cherish, a lot of what is on the market today just doesn't float my boat I'm afraid so when something gives up the ghost i'll look at the niche options for sourcing a replacement.

There will always be exceptions such as chairs, brollies etc. but i'll look at what's available where and when, one thing I do tend to appreciate is that if you want something like a chair my local independent might, I say might, have one in whereas the big chains will have a couple of dozen or so and I don't object to paying a bit more in appreciation of that and knowing I can choose from a broad selection and likely find something that suits me a lot better.

I'm no fan of the big chains but they have their place and it exploits a weakness in the independent, if they are willing to do that then I'm prepared to deal with them as opposed to sitting my r'se in a chair and then going back to the independent to see if he can do it a bit cheaper.

If he doesn't like that then he can always get a decent selection of chairs in.

mikench

Reaction score
The guys in my local AD have been in the shop for years and through several incarnations. I know them, like them and get good service so why should I go elesewhere for the unknown and inconvenient? Apart from a rearrangement of stock and perhaps more carp gear, not a lot has changed so I won't.

nottskev

Reaction score
Local, for me. Rods and reels are occasional buys, but I'm in one or other of the local shops a couple of times a week for bits and bait. They call me by my name, service my reels, dig me out old rod or pole sections from basements and say call it £5, repair stuff that's beyond me to do, say things like "hang on and I'll run some fresh casters off for you", split tares into half pint bags before freezing just because I said I don't need a pint, root all around the shop to find the bits I'm asking for, separate pole sections that have locked on a wet day, show me how to tie any knots or rigs I've seen or heard of, tell me where's fishing now and what's been caught off what pegs, make me cups of tea and tell me filthy jokes, take items out of packaging to give me a proper look, exchange anything that isn't up to scratch, apologise if the bait is ever sub-standard and generally treat me like they value my custom.

I've had a walk around AD and the like a couple of time, but I felt like I was walking around Tesco or Halfords.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've had a walk around AD and the like a couple of time, but I felt like I was walking around Tesco or Halfords.

Exactly. The entire staff seems to change every 3 weeks so there's no personal touch unless youre a mate of whoever is wearing the polo shirt this week.....which I'm not. To that add F*****wit FM blaring out and its hardly what I think constitutes a tackle shop. I hate the place but I fear it will soon be my only option.

mikench

Reaction score
I must be lucky then. My AD is a home from home with no staff changes in the last 5 years. Apart from the name nothing has changed.

John Keane

Reaction score
Local, for me. Rods and reels are occasional buys, but I'm in one or other of the local shops a couple of times a week for bits and bait. They call me by my name, service my reels, dig me out old rod or pole sections from basements and say call it £5, repair stuff that's beyond me to do, say things like "hang on and I'll run some fresh casters off for you", split tares into half pint bags before freezing just because I said I don't need a pint, root all around the shop to find the bits I'm asking for, separate pole sections that have locked on a wet day, show me how to tie any knots or rigs I've seen or heard of, tell me where's fishing now and what's been caught off what pegs, make me cups of tea and tell me filthy jokes, take items out of packaging to give me a proper look, exchange anything that isn't up to scratch, apologise if the bait is ever sub-standard and generally treat me like they value my custom.

Everything you said happens at my local tackle shop Kev, including getting the height of abuse as soon as you walk through the door! One great delight is the war of attrition with the owner caused by rummaging through mounds of tackle and finding things at “the old price” (usually 80’s) or asking for stuff that can only be found “in the back” or in his lock-up, also sporting antediluvian prices.
I recently bought a 12ft Harrison GTi Match with spliced tip from him from his “personal stock” and he let me name my own price but would only give me one crack at it. He’s a crafty barsteward but I offered him £50 and we were both happy with that.
He also had a custom rod that Steve Harrison had made for him for tench and crucians that was 3 section with the top two being equal 5ft with a 2ft 6in separate butt. I was drooling over it but he wouldn’t part with it.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Local 1st then online if he cant get it. But I doubt I will use angling direct, much as I'm not paying £10 for express picking. When other tackle shops ship out for free.

nottskev

Reaction score
Everything you said happens at my local tackle shop Kev, including getting the height of abuse as soon as you walk through the door! One great delight is the war of attrition with the owner caused by rummaging through mounds of tackle and finding things at “the old price” (usually 80’s) or asking for stuff that can only be found “in the back” or in his lock-up, also sporting antediluvian prices.
I recently bought a 12ft Harrison GTi Match with spliced tip from him from his “personal stock” and he let me name my own price but would only give me one crack at it. He’s a crafty barsteward but I offered him £50 and we were both happy with that.
He also had a custom rod that Steve Harrison had made for him for tench and crucians that was 3 section with the top two being equal 5ft with a 2ft 6in separate butt. I was drooling over it but he wouldn’t part with it.

Good stuff. Lucky you, with Harrison's up the road. I'm fully aware - who isn't? - of the pressures that close down small independent shops and put fishing retail in the hands of national chains. But the shift from the local shop, owned by enthusiasts and hubs of culture and community, to soulless retail outlets is one I'll never support. Getting food from anywhere is a problem just now, but when I can I'll resume getting my bread from a baker, my vegetables from a greengrocer and my meat from a butcher. I'm getting through this lockdown with beer from a local brewery that had the brains to set up a system where you pick up what you ordered online with a no-contact drive-through. When we can get out again, I'll be spending my money locally, and not saving pennies on some internet purchase.

rich66

Reaction score
I buy most of my tackle from my local independent tackle shop, he’s always helpful don’t sell you anything that you don’t need.
Saying that my family quite often buy me amazon vouchers for my birthday and xmas. As they have no idea when I ask for “obscure” bit of tackle lol. So I do buy tackle online as well. Just ordered a new feeder rod and rod rests to go with it from amazon. If Paul’s had been open I’d have preferred to spend a little extra cash at his. I value having a tackle shop 1/2 a mile away.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I buy from whoever has what I want at the best price for me, simple as that.
I buy my maggots from the local tackle shop and a few bits now and again.
Problem with most tackle shops for me is, they don't stock the rods I want, they don't stock the reels I want and for the biggest part they don't sell the terminal tackle I want. Most of them are going more and more carp and pole angler orientated.
Another thing that does aggrivate me is that most of them would rather loose a sale than knock a penny off the rrp!

terry m

Reaction score
Agree with the local shop sentiments.

About 90% of my spend is in ‘proper’ tackle shops and 90% of that is in my local shop. Long may that continue.

Reaction score
The only local tackle shop to me stops virtually no products I would buy,by that I mean two patterns of hook,I dont buy maggot from him,I buy pellet from a farm/pet food outlet,if I had an AD locally I might by tackle from them purely because of the better stock levels,im a fussy angler and only use gear that has proven itself to me....