Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Default Supporting local tackle shop

Will you be supporting your local tackle shop when the lockdown is over, or will you be buying online or using shops like Angling Direct or Fishing Republic.
    I am lucky when I go up to warrington, I get a good deal from local shop, also if I go a few miles down the road to Leigh Tackle and Bait I get good deals there.
    In Oxford I have mainly been using Ace Tackle at Kidlington, Tony the owner is very knowledgeable about waters in the area, he has most of what I need in stock.Also States Tackle near Linear Fisheries is another good tackle shop.
    I think supporting local shops is important, I am not one of these who will go in a shop and have a dabble with something then go online to see if I can get it cheaper.

Default Re: Supporting local tackle shop

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    Will you be supporting your local tackle shop when the lockdown is over, or will you be buying online or using shops like Angling Direct or Fishing Republic.
    I am lucky when I go up to warrington, I get a good deal from local shop, also if I go a few miles down the road to Leigh Tackle and Bait I get good deals there.
    In Oxford I have mainly been using Ace Tackle at Kidlington, Tony the owner is very knowledgeable about waters in the area, he has most of what I need in stock.Also States Tackle near Linear Fisheries is another good tackle shop.
    I think supporting local shops is important, I am not one of these who will go in a shop and have a dabble with something then go online to see if I can get it cheaper.
    I think in this day and age, that a bi-partisan approach is needed. Many small tackle shops don’t carry the huge ranges of tackle that can be found online. I’ve got a great tackle Shop in Ray’s Tackle and an Angling Superstore in Taskers within a 3 mile radius, add eBay to that and some good online retailers like Benwicks, Matchman Supplies, Bobco, etc and the Angling community is well catered for. I buy ALL my terminal tackle, bait, feed etc from Ray’s and dip in and out of the others as needed.

Blog Entries

The tackle shop I use never closed, he's open daily selling mostly terminal stuff to keep him ticking over. Phone him what you need then stay in the car and he delivers your order to the your car.

Blog Entries

I’d rather shop at my local tackle shop if they stock what I’m looking for; even if it is slightly cheaper on-line.

If I can buy something several pounds cheaper on-line I let my local tackle shop know and they nearly always match the on-line price anyway.

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

My excellent local indie tackle shop gives its regular customers including myself a small discount as a mark of loyalty. I do shop online and will continue to do so for certain items. However, when this is over and our shops open again (hopefully), I will be making a donation to my shop and paying back that discount as my mark of loyalty to the owner.

Over the years I have bought most of my new tackle from local shops. Most of my lures are second hand online buys. The last tackle I bought a complete dropshotting outfit came from my local shop at cheaper price than online or AD.
    After the lockdown and sorting out all my tackle the only thing I will need to buy is line. That will be from a local tackle shop along with bait.

Unfortunately I can see a lot of small retailers not just tackle shops going to the wall.

My local Tackle shop is now an AD outlet but I've known the guys there since I started, it's convenient and has a good range. Obviously for classic gear I go online and keep my ear to the ground. I like buying from a variety of sources.

I don't buy many big price items of tackle these days and for the consumable stuff and bait I use my local independent.

It's not really a decision for me, both the big chains and the independents wouldn't be able to source any major item replacements I might need and I feel that I'm more than well enough covered with what I've already got and cherish, a lot of what is on the market today just doesn't float my boat I'm afraid so when something gives up the ghost i'll look at the niche options for sourcing a replacement.

There will always be exceptions such as chairs, brollies etc. but i'll look at what's available where and when, one thing I do tend to appreciate is that if you want something like a chair my local independent might, I say might, have one in whereas the big chains will have a couple of dozen or so and I don't object to paying a bit more in appreciation of that and knowing I can choose from a broad selection and likely find something that suits me a lot better.

I'm no fan of the big chains but they have their place and it exploits a weakness in the independent, if they are willing to do that then I'm prepared to deal with them as opposed to sitting my r'se in a chair and then going back to the independent to see if he can do it a bit cheaper.

If he doesn't like that then he can always get a decent selection of chairs in.
    Born to mow... Long grass is our enemy!

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I hope I've still got a local ts when this is all over. If not its bloody AD which I dislike with a passion

The guys in my local AD have been in the shop for years and through several incarnations. I know them, like them and get good service so why should I go elesewhere for the unknown and inconvenient? Apart from a rearrangement of stock and perhaps more carp gear, not a lot has changed so I won't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast