June 16th

dalesman

Reaction score
What are the chance's of us starting our river season on June 16th.

Going a little stir crazy.

Reels are reloaded, nets cleaned, terminal tackle sorted out. Bait box scrubbed.

Aknib

Reaction score
Personally I think we'll just be coming out of restrictions by then, I hope it's sooner though.

I think the clue was in the length of the furlough scheme and lockdown time for over seventy vulnerables, namely three months in each case or thereabouts.

I sympathise with your feelings, I just want to get out there.

barbelboi

Reaction score
In the five years since I moved here the only other angler I've seen on the river banks is my fishing buddy. With so much flowing water on my doorstep and knowing that I would be in complete isolation it would be a tad hard to accept that I would still be 'banned'..........

Reaction score
Well you should,im afraid this is more important than any of us going fishing,personally I dont think we will be through this by then,people are being stupid,loads of them,my neighbours sit on deck chairs on the pavement,3 different households,at the back of my house this evening three households(different from the other three)stood chatting near my garage for two hours,they are all idiots,one of the women works in a care home where 15 people died ,morons one and all and all giving this virus a stepping stone to its next victim,therefore prolonging and eventually tightening the lockdown...

steve2

Reaction score
With 100,000 dead worldwide and near 10,000 in this country the last thing on my mind is June 16th and going fishing. Will we be out of the woods by then I very much doubt it, we will have get use to restrictions for some time to come.If that means no fishing so be it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The bloke on the news last night was saying the infection rate, death rate, hospital admission rate will all have to be assessed before any slackening of the lock down. He would not give a date obviously, frankly; I am sick of the journalists keep asking this question, they are obviously too thick to absorb much; the bloke has been saying this for weeks.To think these people influence us in everything it is no wonder we are a country of morons.
However, we can make an educated guess, if we are in the plateau period and then it starts to abate and the figures get to less than half what they are now they might start to lift some of the restrictions for small grouping, small cafes for example. I think June 16th will come after that time so will be acceptable as long as it is not matches and with some limitation on numbers on commercials maybe, some fishing may become acceptable. Occasions like football matches, concerts, theaters etc, anything with big crowds will be the last to come back. With 10 weeks to go before June 16th this may well happen before then. Whuhan has lifted all restrictions and I think some countries have started to lift theirs after 12 14 weeks so it is possible.
I look forward to it if only it is a sign that this virus is going away more than the fact I can go fishing.

Last edited:

Reaction score
The deputy cmo said yesterday that when this wave of the disease is overcome,the virus will still be present in our population indefinitely,so it looks from now on until a vaccine is found people will continue to die and some form of social distancing will be enforced,our lives have changed and certainly not for the better....how men and women are going to find partners to procreate I dont know,luckily I have enough trouble with the woman I have,god bless her,if there was such a thing...

Aknib

Reaction score
The bloke on the news last night was saying the infection rate, death rate, hospital admission rate will all have to be assessed before any slackening of the lock down. He would not give a date obviously, frankly; I am sick of the journalists keep asking this question, they are obviously too thick to absorb much; the bloke has been saying this for weeks.To think these people influence us in everything it is no wonder we are a country of morons.
However, we can make an educated guess, if we are in the plateau period and then it starts to abate and the figures get to less than half what they are now they might start to lift some of the restrictions for small grouping, small cafes for example. I think June 16th will come after that time so will be acceptable as long as it is not matches and with some limitation on numbers on commercials maybe, some fishing may become acceptable. Occasions like football matches, concerts, theaters etc, anything with big crowds will be the last to come back. With 10 weeks to go before June 16th this may well happen before then. Whuhan has lifted all restrictions and I think some countries have started to lift theirs after 12 14 weeks so it is possible.
I look forward to it if only it is a sign that this virus is going away more than the fact I can go fishing.

This pretty much sums up my outlook on things too.

I watched the press briefing this morning and the front page of one of the comics said that it would be a year before things start to even resemble normality and meanwhile, whilst New York is burying victims of the disease in mass graves, Sweden is tackling the virus differently and hasn't even imposed a lockdown.

I fear for how that might end up.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The deputy cmo said yesterday that when this wave of the disease is overcome,the virus will still be present in our population indefinitely,so it looks from now on until a vaccine is found people will continue to die and some form of social distancing will be enforced,our lives have changed and certainly not for the better....how men and women are going to find partners to procreate I dont know,luckily I have enough trouble with the woman I have,god bless her,if there was such a thing...

He didn't say the restrictions will be in place indefinitely though did he; just that the virus will remain indefinitely. So has the black death but no one dies from it anymore. So has aids, measles, flu, mumps, you name it they survive for ever, why is it unusual for corona to do the same, I thought that was an alarmist statement as if it was something terrible and special about this one virus only, it's not.
This virus will weaken or more that the population will build up more immunity, it already has, how many people have survived it and only had mild or no symptoms, thousands! Add to that there will be a vaccination' being rushed through at present but improved upon as times go by. people will still die from it occasionally, probably those with severe lung problems already, but less and less and lock downs will be unnecessary. I still think some restrictions will be lifted before June 16th, how many and what they will be is anyone guess but I expect some unsociable fishing in some form will be one of the first.

Last edited:

Reaction score
No he did not Mark,but,he wouldnt even if it were true,every tom **** and harry would be out sunbathing taking no bloody notice wouldnt they,at the moment we havent got armed troops keeping us in. Another interesting point he made was about China,because of SARS the Chinese know the importance of social distancing,so obey it(thats without their policing threat)without question,I cannot believe Italy,Spain,France and us have such obedience,Germany however probably has,thats why they've won so many world cups and why their death figures are less possibly...

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
No virus ever goes away it will always be with us, we can control it and have to learn to live with it. If you look at the AIDs HIV virus it's no longer front page news but still killing people, an estimated 36 million have died over the years and 10's of millions still have and catch the virus but we have learned to live with.
Hopefully the world will be ready for the next one because there will be one.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No he did not Mark,but,he wouldnt even if it were true,every tom **** and harry would be out sunbathing taking no bloody notice wouldnt they,at the moment we havent got armed troops keeping us in. Another interesting point he made was about China,because of SARS the Chinese know the importance of social distancing,so obey it(thats without their policing threat)without question,I cannot believe Italy,Spain,France and us have such obedience,Germany however probably has,thats why they've won so many world cups and why there death figures are less possibly...

They think Germany is less because they did more extensive testing than us and China is communist so, troops are more likely and a more obedient populace, we have Boris, a sick man in hospital which is all wrong to me. Accept Gov carries on but I would never have been allowed to carry on any job I ever had if I was in hospital.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Your job would have been left open until you recovered surely,it wasnt as if he was dying,threat was there yes,but be fair he has had a couple of weeks out,one of which he still held full office.

mikench

Reaction score
That date feels an awful long time away the way and I doubt the restrictions will be lifted by then.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That date feels an awful long time away the way and I doubt the restrictions will be lifted by then.

This is how it used to feel in the old days and then we would all go barmy on the 16th and catch nothing. Don't worry, it will come back and your only missing the tench season :)