Inflatable fishing boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krang

Reaction score
Anyone tried these? I guy I know has a seahawk 2, which has two fishing rod holders and an extra inner air chamber so it won't sink if the main one deflates. Late last summer I sailed around a local lake with him fishing for perch. Was a lot of fun and the boat can easily be packed away and carried in a large rucksack.

I'm thinking of getting one.

Intex Seahawk 2 Boat Set - two man inflatable dinghy with oars and pump #68347: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

At £45 I'd say its a pretty good value way of getting out onto the water. I'm thinking of getting one to use on the Thames.

Anyone tried anything like this? I guess I'll have to be real careful with sharp hooks. Probably best to keep a puncture repair kit handy.

bullet

Reaction score
I had an inflatable kayak for a few years that I used for Bass fishing in good conditions.
You needed to be a bit careful with hooks but not paranoid, it was actually quite tough and I never got a puncture.
Top tip, always take the pump with you to top up air if necessary.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
£45?

What’s it made of, polythene bags? Seeing it’s something that’s sits between me and drowning I’d want something a bit more substantial. A life jacket will cost more than that piece of tat!

mikench

Reaction score
I have to say that looks like a kids dinghy and thus a death trap on the Sea or flowing water. It would be ok for very shallow water but I would rather spend more on a proper rib or inflatable kayak like this.

https://www.hardloop.co.uk/product/13549-bic-sport-yakkair-full-hp-1-inflatable-kayak

A proper boat/ canoe is best if you can transport it. I have used the bic on the Sea but in warm Mediterranean water and launched from a beach when I fancied one. I concluded I'd be going on my own and the novelty would wear off so I didn't bother. You must have a life jacket at all times.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
The places I'm thinking of are popular with swimmers. So its not so much standing between me drowning as me getting a bit wet. Plus it does have the additional air chamber for safety.

As a kid I did used to have those blue and yellow ones for the sea. They were thinner, had no extra chamber or rod holders. Nor were you able to attach a motor.

I'm not going to spend £400 on a rib when this would do what I want perfectly adequately. Better even because I need to be able to carry it.

Krang

Reaction score

There's quite a few videos of people modding this with seats and stuff too.

Krang

Reaction score

I'd say you guys have a moral obligation to warn those guys that its all a big death trap unless they spend £900.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am sure no ones going to appreciate these on their carp club lakes, or commercials. On a river you only have to get blown into the bank or row into it a few times to get punctured by brambles or thorns, in a sea the wind blows you out in a nano if your not careful and even if your careful; stupid calling it a sea hawk, trade description standards!! Add to that the danger of hooks in a confined space and fish with sharp fins. And I have had experience so you can take my word for all of that; pretty bad news for angling I would say. These videos are careful only to show you the best choreographed bits and are a danger in themselves.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
I am sure no ones going to appreciate these on their carp club lakes, or commercials. On a river you only have to get blown into the bank or row into it a few times to get punctured by brambles or thorns, in a sea the wind blows you out in a nano if your not careful and even if your careful; stupid calling it a sea hawk, trade description standards!! Add to that the danger of hooks in a confined space and fish with sharp fins. And I have had experience so you can take my word for all of that; pretty bad news for angling I would say. These videos are careful only to show you the best choreographed bits and are a danger in themselves.

How would one of these super expensive inflatables people are recommending be any better? Can anyone point out what extra safety features they have? Or are they just less likely to appear on your carp commercials due to being prohibitively expensive?

This boat has an inner chamber for safety, so if what your suggesting did happen you would be safe.

Why would independent content creators all engage in some sort of conspiracy to cover up the negative aspects of a fishing boat?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
How would one of these super expensive inflatables people are recommending be any better? Can anyone point out what extra safety features they have? Or are they just less likely to appear on your carp commercials due to being prohibitively expensive?

This boat has an inner chamber for safety, so if what your suggesting did happen you would be safe.

Why would independent content creators all engage in some sort of conspiracy to cover up the negative aspects of a fishing boat?

You listen to your brain and I will listen to mine. Have you ever tried getting in and out of an inflatable from a bank? Do you know how to do that? You think this is all so straight forward and simple that something so fragile as an inner chamber will solve all likely outcomes and protect you. You think anyone and everyone is competent enough to trust themselves with something like this if they have never tried it before, without any instruction, what to look for, how to get in and out safely etc etc; let alone their children ( some incompetents lost a little boy last year, slid in down a muddy bank and disappeared). Give it a go by all means, I am just conveying what I know and think which is a lot more than some video with a bit of blurb. been there done it and got the T-shirt, I know, I don't need a bit of amateur video to convince me that it is as safe as houses which your also trying to do. I am just warning anyone that there's more to think about than sitting in a boat and catching fish, and I cant see any of that in your rubbish video.
I just see some amateurs buying this because its cheap, it's cheap because it's weak and unfit for the purpose; the video makes it look easy and bowling along with their rods and drowning. And don't think they will just stick to some safe paddling pool with launching platforms and a few fish, they wont, they will head for deep lakes and the sea as well. Mud, slippery, tides, wind, weather, currents. Its another world.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
You cant use boats on carp commercials as you call them, or none of the 5 clubs I belong to waters, and I am sure other clubs are the same, one of my clubs has a punt, which has to be booked, and specified safety gear worn, auto inflating life jackets being one,
The punt is only allowed on water.
Is the Seahawks "dinghy" CE marked or a BS standard Mark with it. ?

Krang

Reaction score
You listen to your brain and I will listen to mine. Have you ever tried getting in and out of an inflatable from a bank? You think this is all so straight forward and simple that something so fragile as an inner chamber will solve all likely outcomes and protect you. You think anyone and everyone is competent enough to trust themselves with something like this if they have never tried it before; let alone their children ( some incompetents lost a little boy last year, slid in down a muddy bank and disappeared). Give it a go by all means, I am just conveying what I know and think which is a lot more than some video with a bit of blurb. been there done it and got the T-shirt, I know, I don't need a bit of amateur video to convince me that it is as safe as houses which your also trying to do.

Why would getting in and out be harder than with a rib or any other small boat? Probably much easier than a canoe.

Kids inflatable actually tend to be less safe than this with thinner walls and fewer chambers. I used to go in the sea with them all the time. Theyre usually sold for about £20 at seafront shops. Maybe you should raise your concerns with them.

This one isn't a kids inflatable. It has thicker walls, more chambers, rod holders and you can attach an outboard to it.

Krang

Reaction score
You cant use boats on carp commercials as you call them, or none of the 5 clubs I belong to waters, and I am sure other clubs are the same, one of my clubs has a punt, which has to be booked, and specified safety gear worn, auto inflating life jackets being one,
The punt is only allowed on water.
Is the Seahawks "dinghy" CE marked or a BS standard Mark with it. ?

Apparently its "NMMA certified, GS and TUV".

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Why would getting in and out be harder than with a rib or any other small boat? Probably much easier than a canoe.
Boy oh boy, you really know --- all. Its worse than I thought. Which is not a problem but hearing you trying to convince others that you do is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.