When we return to fishing...

Aknib

Reaction score
How do you think it will be, under what circumstances?

Kev and I were having this conversation only yesterday on the phone and it's an interesting one.

As restrictions are gradually lifted I can't really see the government saying it's alright to go fishing again without any constraints and Kev informed me that the Angling Trust were lobbying for its reinstatement under certain, sensible conditions.

That's where I think the Angling Trust can come in handy on this one, by putting together sensible guidelines at a point of contact where they're likely to be heard.

But what would those guidelines be?

The match scene would surely be a mass gathering, commercials would need a strict set of rules to adhere to in order to guarantee the safety of those fishing them, even if some of those fishing them might not recognise the risk or appreciate (additional) distancing measures that would surely have to be implemented.

And then there's procedural measures at ground level, such as the taking of money, buying bait and tackle etc.

Then, if that's not enough, it would surely have to be policed at fishery level on a good will basis.

Personally I think it can be done especially on a club or society level as long as the overall national picture shows a declining number of infection rates and providing everyone adheres to rules and a common sense approach.

What do you think to the general question, what would you implement as a fishery owner in order to protect your regulars and do you think that anglers are prepared to honour those rules, if only on a non-policed, good will basis?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not sure what the rules are but I read it as fishing is not against the law now, being outside without good cause is, IE, going to work, essential exercise and shopping. The angling trust are not making the law. So, the way I see it as soon as the Gov start to lift the restrictions and depending what they are, we will be allowed to go fishing. For example, we are allowed outside for non essential activities as long as it does not require groups of more than 5 people say or something like that. That would allow us to go fishing. It is up to clubs what they do and what the AT recommend but that will not affect me and my usual fishing haunts.

Reaction score
Steve,the problem lies with allowing Paul his freedom,whilst not allowing Peter his,im afraid I would have thought we will be stopped from going so as to encourage others not to be doing a more risky hobby/sport/means of entertainment. My main concern at present is many clubs will be coming up to subscription time and if members dont rejoin on time funds wont be available to pay expensive leases,waters will be lost because of the fear of paying for something that they wont get the use of...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Steve,the problem lies with allowing Paul his freedom,whilst not allowing Peter his,im afraid I would have thought we will be stopped from going so as to encourage others not to be doing a more risky hobby/sport/means of entertainment. My main concern at present is many clubs will be coming up to subscription time and if members dont rejoin on time funds wont be available to pay expensive leases,waters will be lost because of the fear of paying for something that they wont get the use of...

Should't club members have continued paying their subscriptions as normal to support their clubs so that they can keep their leases? Not my area but I just thought this would be the case.

Aknib

Reaction score
Not sure what the rules are but I read it as fishing is not against the law now, being outside without good cause is, IE, going to work, essential exercise and shopping.

I think you're right Mark, but does it constitute a non-essential journey for the vast majority who don't walk to their water?

I've had an idea...

How about, in addition to net dips, an angler dip?

We could construct them on a similar basis to sheep dips with people herding us through with poles and fresh towels and clothing at the other end? :lever:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And when returning home be hung out to air dry for 24 hours.

mikench

Reaction score
I renewed 2 club memberships in decémber and joined a third in February. Even before we had heard of C I could go fishing on a dozen venues and not see a soul. If the lockdown is lifted sufficiently to allow fishing , say by late May, there will be undoubtedly the initial headlong rush by the unthinking to popular waters ie commercials ,but I reckon the waters I am likely to visit will be sparsely attended. If I'm wrong I'll head elsewhere.

I will avoid day ticket waters and bivvy cities . Part of my frustration currently is that nobody would know I was fishing if I went apart from a parked car near an isolated lake.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I renewed 2 club memberships in decémber and joined a third in February. Even before we had heard of C I could go fishing on a dozen venues and not see a soul. If the lockdown is lifted sufficiently to allow fishing , say by late May, there will be undoubtedly the initial headlong rush by the unthinking to popular waters ie commercials ,but I reckon the waters I am likely to visit will be sparsely attended. If I'm wrong I'll head elsewhere.

I will avoid day ticket waters and bivvy cities . Part of my frustration currently is that nobody would know I was fishing if I went apart from a parked car near an isolated lake.

I share the same frustration, I could walk to a bit of coast and no one would be there, I know a nice stretch under some cliffs for example and very unlikely any police would be there or anyone would report me but, it is what it is and I have gone along with it. I walked there today and looked out along that stretch and a lovely day-and passed the little fish stall with 3 nice bass on the slab on the way back, all local caught from the boats so, a bit like torture for me.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have just read a certain person is dead keen to get back and lift lock down, or dead keen to get back and do all the popular stuff before anyone else can!!
Some form of fishing is probably not that long away. However, I might if I consider it too early and still dodgy, still hold off for a while. I take a bus journey to some of my spots for example. I can make my own judgement still.

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Steve.

When you think about it fishing has mostly been a solitary hobby, and I cannot see why it would not work if it was opened again shortly. No-one wantS to catch this bloody virus, it seems death sentence to many. But if we are sensible stay apart from other anglers (not difficult really) Take every precaution when interacting getting bait and petrol, tickets, it probably one of the safest sports going. JMO.

mikench

Reaction score
Two days or so before lockdown Gordon and I fished side by side on a remote lake. We had adjoining pegs but they were at least 10m apart. We saw just one bloke all day and he kept his distance. That could and would be easily replicated.

The only trouble was the roach self isolated in Gordon's peg. He admitted afterwards he was using aniseed flavoured gb. Well that explains it.:rolleyes:

I have ordered some concentrated aniseed flavouring for next time.

Reaction score
Should't club members have continued paying their subscriptions as normal to support their clubs so that they can keep their leases? Not my area but I just thought this would be the case.

I have,but many have not according to the membership secretary of a club im in,a friend down south says people are not renewing there either and they have a £70,000 lease bill coming up next month(big club),people are tight,many are feeling the pinch in the current situation,worrying...

Aknib

Reaction score
I have,but many have not according to the membership secretary of a club im in,a friend down south says people are not renewing there either and they have a £70,000 lease bill coming up next month(big club),people are tight,many are feeling the pinch in the current situation,worrying...

I guess the upside is that if a renting club, especially a large one, is having understandable difficulties due to the current crisis then there's little chance of another club coming in and nicking their waters.

It would be nice if the riparian owners also showed some consideration, especially where long term relationships have been formed but given that they will likely be under various pressures too then I guess nothing can be taken for granted.

Last edited:

Reaction score
When we go fishing,we use fuel,when we fill up,we go to a place where others go,you can be as careful as you like,its unlikely you dont leave some virus,or should I say someone that has it does,also,no matter how sensible we and our peers are,looking at the morons I see during this situation,your fellow club members cannot be relied upon to be responsible,in fact I think to avoid catching covid-19 you need to assume they are not....

Reaction score
Is that Verulam Alan?

I guess the upside is that if a renting club, especially a large one, is having understandable difficulties due to the current crisis then there's little chance of another club coming in and nicking their waters.

It would be nice if the riparian owners also showed some consideration, especially where long term relationships have been formed but given that they will likely be under various pressures too then I guess nothing can be taken for granted.

The £70,000 leasing bill is way further south,I cant say who it is because i'd drop a mate in the poo,as for Verulam,the main water they have would have clubs and syndicates queuing to snatch it,in fact they used to try every time the lease is up for grabs and that was two decades ago...

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
we go to a place where others go

You obviously don't fish where I do, I rarely see another person on the stretches of river or canal I frequent. There's more chance of me catching Weil's disease than Covid 19, my only reservation is that in the event of an accident or similar, I would be adding to the strain on the emergency services.

Reaction score
You obviously don't fish where I do, I rarely see another person on the stretches of river or canal I frequent. There's more chance of me catching Weil's disease than Covid 19, my only reservation is that in the event of an accident or similar, I would be adding to the strain on the emergency services.

No,you misread my post,you fill up where others fill their vehicles,you only need one person to touch something you are going to touch,even rub up against it,no doubt in my mind,when restrictions are lifted infection rates will rise,simply got to,its not rocket science....

john step

Reaction score
I have not fished obviously but I have two waters I bailiff whilst going for my permitted cycle exercise daily. Both are on strictly private grounds with no one to speak to and nothing to touch.
Hopefully it wont be too long but the Media and the Opposition are attempting to force policy by keep asking stupid questions about how long is a piece of string.
If we give up too soon I think another peak and many deaths will follow.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
No,you misread my post,you fill up where others fill their vehicles,you only need one person to touch something you are going to touch,even rub up against it,no doubt in my mind,when restrictions are lifted infection rates will rise,simply got to,its not rocket science....

Been using anti-bac wipes for re-fuelling since this **** started, I'd be more "isolated" fishing than at home. Infection rates rise by close contact, seen any clips from people (including emergency services), purportedly supporting the NHS on Thursday nights? Don't see a lot of distancing in quite a few of them!