corvi 19

sis the roach

Reaction score
I thinking when we had the foot and mouth and fishing was stopped that seemed endless waiting to get back on the bank and back fishing again but with this corvid its a lot more dangerous it human life but if you look at this way its just a closed fishing season perhaps we had had it to good I couldnt what for it to start but we had to a bit like now

Tree123

Reaction score
I dont get it with fishing or a lot of sports. As it quite easy for us to social distance. The whole thing is far too depressing anyway. In some ways im luckly as im very much a river angler and as it close season i wouldn't be going anyway

rich66

Reaction score
I’m old enough to remember the closed season and to me it’s nothing like it. You could get out go search out new swims, see your mates, go chase a few girls, go to the pub etc. But this is just mind numbing! I go to work stand on the door marshalling queues all day, get the odd bit of abuse. Get a delivery fill the place up again. Go home & nothing to do, nor the inclination to do anything as I’m completely done in from hours of tedium at work. Rinse and repeat.

Reaction score
All the above Rich,plus having my poor brain completely numbed by our media,asking questions that can have no answer,the worlds total information on covid is incomplete at best,so any answer would be based on a percentage of guess work and invalid...

rich66

Reaction score
Very true Whitty, the media are having a field day with churning over the same old rubbish. As you say no real complete data, plus there’s tons of negativity towards the way the gov are conducting the lockdown. Whether the government are right or wrong now’s not the time IMHO.

Reaction score
Nobody and I mean NOBODY can say the govt have done wrong during this crisis,they can try to decipher what must amount to mountains of suggestions with groups of supposed 'experts' and take a punt,if that makes them wrong,who the hell really knows what is right,certainly not the bloody media,that is a written in stone fact,guaranteed....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Alan but I totally disagree with your assesment.

There are some areas of the current situation that are very much open to criticism, particularly in the supply (or lack of it) of PPE, and that is 100% at the feet of the government.

Remember that less than 3 years ago they undertook a huge analysis on just this sort of an epedemic so they KNEW in Advance what would be needed and have singluarly failed to heed the obvious warnings, and continue to fail as per the Forign Secretary's admission yesterday.

The CHOICE of prefering Heard Immunity rather than Test, Track and Trace (as per Germany) has also led to deaths that could have been prevented.

While nobody "knows for certain" the uk did have the benefit of the existing knowledge from Italy and Spain, so at least 3 weeks time to prepare . . . you have to ask yourself exactly what did the government do in that period, and to what effect . . . .

Finally, you have to also ask yourself exactly WHY the government have already stated (D. Raab 26/4-2020) that there will definitely be NO Public Inquiry into their actions during this pandemic?

MountainAsh

Reaction score
Roll on the end of this outbreak. This morning, without actually naming them, the PM talked of a staged opening of certain sectors the economy. I’m hoping the same will apply to sporting or outdoor activities and that angling with be opened up early given its relative social distancing.

Reaction score
How are the govt to blame for a worldwide shortage of PPE,nobody would have ever stored enough to cope with something that might not happen(I would have bought 200 toilet rolls),as for Germany,their pharmaceutical companies are probably keeping them supplied with tests,in the UK I dont believe we have the set up to make that many tests,also when the outbreak finally is beaten off enough to make an analysis Germany may have higher numbers of deaths,we will see,German culture is such that in general people live less close to each other than in the UK,many of the cities are far more modern than our own,possibly creating less people per square foot within the home,who knows???Also if another party was voted in,can you see a different synopses,I cant....

john step

Reaction score
We keep hearing on the news of the fear of some NHS workers that there is only a day or two of PPE left. However have they actually run out.
The available stock must be spread all around quite thinly and frequently on a continual tread mill. No place is going to have mountains of the stuff in reserve given everywhere in the world wants it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The much lauded 100,000 tests per day has become yet another government over-pronmised and under-achieved debacle.

Having wasted 3 weeks pushing herd immunity before folowing the German and Korean initiative of Test, test ,test, they promised 100k per day.

Yesterday they achieved less than 30k . . and yet the Health Secretary, also yesterday, was still insisting that they will make it by month end . . . . however highly conitioned by adding, "it might take a few days to collate all the data". . .

Strange that considering every day for 3 weeks they have been able to assemble the data in time for the 5pm party broadcast . . .

Even more strange is that in the PPE shortage most European countries never had the same problems we experienced here in the uk . . . . I read both French and German news sites almost daily and have yet to see the same problems widely reported on those . . .

Having lived and wrked in Hamburg Germany for years I can tell you I saw no observable or real differences in the way people over there live. On thw sibject of total death then also remember that the uk are still not inclding the full count of ALL cases due to Covid-19.

As to whether or not a different Party might have handled this differently that is wholly hypothetical inasmuch as we have the govetnment that we have, so that argument is non sequitur.

Reaction score
As to whether or not a different Party might have handled this differently that is wholly hypothetical inasmuch as we have the govetnment that we have, so that argument is non sequitur.

Not really Peter,as I believe any party in govt in this country in a health emergency such as this take heed of 'expert' opinion,having no likelihood of knowledge of pandemics themselves,thus similar decisions would be made. As for estimates for numbers of tests,PPE kits etc,our politicians ARE naive,why ,because you like me would have had companies promising the earth win a contract,with no possibility of success,the company I used to work for forever did it,so is it the govts fault,or whovever told them it was possible,in this situation they are little more than a mouthpiece...

nottskev

Reaction score
How are the govt to blame for a worldwide shortage of PPE,nobody would have ever stored enough to cope with something that might not happen(I would have bought 200 toilet rolls),as for Germany,their pharmaceutical companies are probably keeping them supplied with tests,in the UK I dont believe we have the set up to make that many tests,also when the outbreak finally is beaten off enough to make an analysis Germany may have higher numbers of deaths,we will see,German culture is such that in general people live less close to each other than in the UK,many of the cities are far more modern than our own,possibly creating less people per square foot within the home,who knows???Also if another party was voted in,can you see a different synopses,I cant....

The point is to stockpile PPE material in advance. You'd hope our government might have twigged that going shopping for it in the middle of a pandemic could leave you short.... UK stocks of PPE material were reduced by 40% between 2013 and 2019, with the value of stocks held cut by £325m. Governments worldwide plan and provide for things that "might not happen". Because they might, and it's their job to protect their people. The conclusions of a 2016 government simulation/drill of the impact of an infectious disease pandemic were never published.

Population density in Germany is broadly the same as in UK. South Korea has a population density roughly twice that of the UK. Living closer together didn't stop them from containing their outbreak with some twenty thousand fewer deaths - so far - than in the UK.

Last edited:

Reaction score
We as laymen do not know the problems our country is having getting any of these items,we also dont know how easy it is for other countries,please do not believe that most countries stock piled billions of items of PPE,in your dreams it might be true....

steve2

Reaction score
When you look at figures could it be that our reported number of deaths is more accurate than what other countries are reporting? Do you honestly believe some of the figures coming out of China and other places.
Also we have a lot of idiots in this country that still don't understand what social distancing is.

Surely the biggest problem with this country is that we got rid of our manufacturing base and made the country rely on worldwide producers of even basic items like facemasks.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Funnily enough or maybe it is not funny, I saw a sign outside a shop a convenience store today "masks £1" so i went in and bought one. the bloke handed over a half empty packet and said take one. Not really right but the packet looked like it held about 20 and I got one for a quid, must be making a bit of a killing. The other thing is I don't think it is as efficient as my home made mask, tea towel with polythene layer taped inside it, I get more coverage and less leakage, this thing was a bit flimsy but looked like the one I see people wearing on TV a lot, like in China etc; not the full blown things you see the nurses wear, but there you go.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I read somewhere that the NHS had the recommended amount of PPE , in stock, this was a WHO recommendation, .
They are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont. As for experts on what to do about this and the lockdown. Just go on any social media forum be it angling , walking, mums n toddlers, you will find enough on there to solve the problem, Not where you would expect to find them in the medical profession.
Stay safe.

davebhoy

Reaction score
The point is to stockpile PPE material in advance. You'd hope our government might have twigged that going shopping for it in the middle of a pandemic could leave you short.... UK stocks of PPE material were reduced by 40% between 2013 and 2019, with the value of stocks held cut by £325m. Governments worldwide plan and provide for things that "might not happen". Because they might, and it's their job to protect their people. The conclusions of a 2016 government simulation/drill of the impact of an infectious disease pandemic were never published.

Population density in Germany is broadly the same as in UK. South Korea has a population density roughly twice that of the UK. Living closer together didn't stop them from containing their outbreak with some twenty thousand fewer deaths - so far - than in the UK.

I’m no apologist for Boris and the Tories, but it’s not entirely fair to compare our response to South Korea’s. The Mers outbreak in 2015 gave them an almost unique experience of dealing with something like this. They had several companies capable of producing tests very quickly and on a big scale and they had the means to use the test data extremely effectively. After the Mers outbreak the Korean parliament passed a lot of legislation that allowed the authorities to inspect personal data - bank accounts, phone records - without permission of the person who had tested positive. The technology was already there - the smartphone apps that told you that you had been in contact with someone who had tested positive and that told you you must get tested yourself. It was the sort of legislation that would never get passed here, the sort of technology that wouldn’t have been thought about without a crisis. They were able to test on a scale we could never as quickly and use the data in a way that we would never be able to. They also had a population who understood the seriousness of the outbreak as soon as it started

You might know better than me but in Germany the health system is less centralized, there are more manufacturers of tests because more regions have the capability. They could get their hands on more German-made tests quicker than we could as we didn’t have the same manufacturing capabilities and had to buy them from
the same manufacturers as everyone else. After a while even the Germans werent making as many tests as before - there were shortages of the component parts.