Can’t help looking.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had to drop something to my youngest son this morning and due to the local traffic being almost non existent I had a bit of spare time. I took my morning constitutional in Crayford near Hall Place. The river Cray runs though it. On with the Polaroid’s and I couldn’t stop myself, I just had to try spotting some fish. I spotted a chub, 3-31/2 lb as I watched hold station in the current I noticed that it had a large fresh looking wound on its flank. Then I saw the pike sitting about a metre or so away the chub made its way upstream and I watched the pike for a while as it sat almost motionless in the current. The child in me picked up a stick and lobbed it in the general direction of the fish, which shot away leaving a cloud of sediment in its wake. This is the pike, it’s partially hidden by the glare as I took it on my phone, I had a far better view through the Polaroid’s.
44ea4aecf406e4e6e63f91057c50ba6f.jpg

I just can’t help having a look whenever I’m near water. It’s strange but non anglers rarely see what we see. I went for a walk yesterday around a small lake in a park near our home. The lake is reputed not to have any fish and is badly silted. No Polaroid’s this time and low and behold a ghost carp or Koi about two feet long swam by, I was the only one to see it, my wife didn’t see it at all yet to me it was as plain as a pike staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian g

Reaction score
Great post , I have been taking my exercise along the Llangollen canal near my home . The canal is usually well coloured as a result of the boat traffic but is now fairly clear . I've seen loads of roach and bream on this stretch and stood for 10 minutes looking into the canal below from a foot bridge . I did say to my non fishing son who accompanied me that I just can't walk past any stretch of water with out looking into it trying to spot fish . It's funny that at first glance there is nothing to see but as you look harder the fish suddenly start to appear , or at least they do to me.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Ian, have you seen the Grindley Brook stretch when it is clear, ? Can more or less see 3/4 of the way across, also the canal in Llangollen itself where the horse drawn boat goes, plenty of fish to be seen there.

ian g

Reaction score
Mark , I've fished it in the winter when it's been quite clear though not as clear as now . I've been up to the canal in Llangollen many times and as you say it's really clear up there. I know Lymm are bailiffing their water's just to say there were a couple of EE guys fishing the canal at Wrenbury Mill on Saturday.

rich66

Reaction score
I went to our local Costco to get supplies last week, one of my fishing spots is 2 minutes drive. So I thought blow it I’ll go look.
Car park was full, the park itself was busier than it normally was.
But I still had a look around, left me thinking there must be a better way of fishing it than I do. Gives me something to think about while waiting.
b590a64a7bba1943dcce3672ba6a3f32.jpg

26cd78d5569507aa34d95caf612ad419.jpg

b590a64a7bba1943dcce3672ba6a3f32.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mark , I've fished it in the winter when it's been quite clear though not as clear as now . I've been up to the canal in Llangollen many times and as you say it's really clear up there. I know Lymm are bailiffing their water's just to say there were a couple of EE guys fishing the canal at Wrenbury Mill on Saturday.

Thanks Ian, I will pass that on, it may get bailiffed more now that we have a new water up that way, I think it's called Hadley Pool. There is a cafe opposite it.

Philip

Reaction score
The Cray is a lovely little river Ray & I know exactly what you mean about just having to have a look when you pass water.

I have also lost count of the times when I am the only one to see fish that to me are blatant but to the general public you literally have to point their head at it a give inch by inch instruction without screaming in frustration .. …no not there, that’s a stone ..a foot left of that etc etc..:eek:mg:

Aknib

Reaction score
The last time I saw a bridge I decided to go one step further and explore beneath it, I nearly needed a change of underwear when I saw the train heading towards me :eek:mg:

ian g

Reaction score
Yes Mark , I heard Hadley pool is about 4 mikes from my house , never fished it though . Sorry to divert the thread