TF Gear 10ft Compact Float Rod : Any users?

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Hi folks .... Anyone have this rod that can offer an idea of line ratings it might be capable of (minimum-maximum) and what the rod limitations might be?

Primarily I am Looking for a short all round waggler rod (silvers and smaller carp) and hoping this might be an option.
I would also love it to be suitable for trotting on rare occasions but think will be to stiff?

Its only to be used when i go camping so it doesn't need to be a master of all trades but a usable all round float rod would be good enough

Any feedback would be welcome

z-TFGCOMP0011.jpg

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
10 foot might be a tad short for trotting. As its for camping, would one of the rods that have more sections for ease of stowage be better?
I manage with a Shakespeare 12 foot travel match rod for holidays. 5 Pieces and its feels OK for float fishing with lines of 3 to 4 lb bs.
To step up a little I have a John Wilson travel Avon rod. It has a top float section and a section for 3 quiver tips as well. Comes in a hard case and rated to 8 lb bs max.

Hope that helps.

steve2

Reaction score
These rods in my eyes are a bargain, I use TFG Compact Carp Rods. I tried the compact all rounder in a shop and to be honest I didn’t need it but I was very tempted to add it to my collect.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
10 foot might be a tad short for trotting. As its for camping, would one of the rods that have more sections for ease of stowage be better?
I manage with a Shakespeare 12 foot travel match rod for holidays. 5 Pieces and its feels OK for float fishing with lines of 3 to 4 lb bs.
To step up a little I have a John Wilson travel Avon rod. It has a top float section and a section for 3 quiver tips as well. Comes in a hard case and rated to 8 lb bs max.

Hope that helps.

This may sound a little ridiculous, but I prefer to have a rod that i can leave set up as I struggle with feeding line thru the small eyes of a match rod (poor close range eye sight). I have considered reverting back to a traditional 3 piece rod (13ft) but last time I had one of them the problem didnt exist .... and have concerns its a tangle nightmare keeping a 3 piece set up.

Reaction score
The rod is v.good quality for the price,but imho is a bit too strong for float fishing with lines under 5/6lbs b.s.

d.owens

Reaction score
TFGEAR Compact All Rounder Rod (8-10ft)-screenshot_20200110-105442_duckduckgo-600x1067.jpg
On sale at Go Outdoors for £59.99 (I got mine for £49.99) I would not hesitate to recommend it.
I've used mine as a 10 foot float rod with line from 3 & a half up to 6lb bs. It has been sensitive enough to make catching smaller fish enjoyable but robust enough to handle decent carp tearing off towards the snags.
It is great to use the quiver tips provided as either an 8 foot or 10 foot feeder/ ledger rod. I prefer it at 8 foot (as I rarely fish very large waters where distance is an issue) Used with line up to about 8 or 9 lbs bs I have had every confidence in landing anything that grabbed my hook.
The only downside is that it doesn't come with a 1oz tip, but I have yet to find that a problem.

I have used and abused this rod and it is still flawless. It's a great buy for anybody looking for a "do it all" rod.

Edit: as stated, it's a bit pokey for small silvers, canal fishing etc.
And just noticed it's not the rod you were asking about! Oh, well!

Last edited:

Reaction score
If there was such a thing in never never land,lol....:D