One type of water, one choice

Aknib

Reaction score
All a bit hypothetical but we're all bored.

I've been pondering what type of water I'd fish if I had to choose only one?

River, canal or stillwater are the obvious choices but it's open to the game and sea anglers as well so maybe reservoir or stream or how about shore, boat, pier or rock mark?

My natural leaning is towards rivers and flowing water but I have to admit that I need a change from them from time to time and whilst rivers would be my ultimate choice it would be with a reluctance of leaving behind the other waters which I enjoy.

For some reason I find stillwaters a more relaxing proposition, maybe because they don't generally tend to demand the attention that rivers often do on the occasions when just being there is enough.

But...

River it is.

What would be your one shot choice?

Would it be the allure of a patch of lily pads and Tench bubbles or the promise of a perfect river and some arm wrenching action with the Barbel, or maybe the dilemma of a large reservoir Rainbow versus a small stream Brownie or a wreck caught Conger over an estuary caught Mullet?

Or something else and what would you miss the most about the waters that you had to forgo?

John Keane

Reaction score
Very hard to choose one water. Lily pads and tench bubbles are definitely appealing, as is sea fishing a rock mark onto a clean bottom in deep water where a dozen or so species might be expected and a string of mackerel as a bonus.

But I think, on reflection, it has to be a long pool on the Spey wading thigh deep with the river running around 6 to 9” above normal on a late May day fishing a Willie Gunn on a floating line. That sudden jagging take that strips line off the reel through your fingers can’t be bettered in any other fishing discipline.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I was brought up fishing canals, I used to be in a works club/team when I was 14, on the coach trip to the canal a draw was made on the coach for the days method, float or feeder/straight lead. . This was same for other venues we went to.
So for me it would have to be a canal, ssome i have fished have double figure carp in them and tench to around 6lbs, as well as other decent sized species, I am just as happy knocking a few pound of bits out as I am catching decent canal fish.
Last year I spent a lot of time fishing matches on commercials in north west, This year when I get out it will be concentrate more on local canal and natural Stillwater, plus a few visits to tunnel barn farm. And few visits back up north west.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I have actually posed that question to myself and I can say in all honesty the water I would choose would be my local river. Its large, it is not particular spectacularly pretty round me although it has some nice bits here and there. Allot of it seems featureless at first glance and overall it can be rather bland to look at. However, it does have one thing that I absolutely have to have and that is mystery, which it has in bucket loads. You could fish it for a lifetime and you would still only be scratching the surface.

The problem is you could give me the prettiest lily clad pool or dreamy stream going but I get bored very easily and if I got bored, I would find it a chore. So its the big bland river for me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Based largely on self imposed proximity limits, and the fact that the local river hasn't been in the best form over the past couple of years, it would have to be a fairly big syndicate gravel pit.

The downside of that being my sole venue is that it's not easy at the best of times, but it's rock hard through the winter.

However, if my own proximity limits were ignored, my natural inclination would be to choose a river.

nottskev

Reaction score
Can I have a stretch of canalised river? The Weaver at Northwich in a half mile stretch has 10'deep steady swims, lock cuttings and islands, a weir, narrow backwaters, a confluence with a tributary, boat moorings, towpath banks, natural banks. It holds roach, dace, chub, perch, bream, tench, carp, pike and surprises like barbel. It has swims you can fish on pole, waggler, stick, bomb or feeder. With two bridges and fishing on all sides, you can get out of any weather from any direction. You can expect to catch at any time of year and in any conditions.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have never resolved to myself which I prefer sea or coarse. Both have their good points and bad points. I suppose if I did not live on the coast it would definitely be rivers but as I have the choice I might just opt for the sea. All year round and no licence help plus convenience. The downsides are lack of fish and the weather, all year round maybe but not a lot of chance of sheltering from a hoolie.
I also think I just about find it a bit more interesting in some ways, but it is a very close call.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Though I love fishing anywhere on lots of different methods,if someone gave me a stretch of meandering river perhaps three quarters of a mile long,with shallows,holes,gravel runs,ranunculus beds,lined with trees so the next spot was always a surprise,it would be like I'd died and gone to heaven,especially if I had two nubile tackle carriers,lol.

mikench

Reaction score
It would be a picturesque Stillwater and I can see 2 venues containing 2 waters apiece in my minds eye. I'd be happy there and catching anything would be a bonus at the moment.

I would slag them off though soon enough after a couple of blanks.:)

peterjg

Reaction score
Whitty, your post exactly describes a section of the river Kennet that I regularly fish, very rarely see another person there and no boats, no public footpaths, safe parking, loads of wildlife. Overhanging trees and varying depths from 2ft to 9ft. Contains most species.

However; if I could just choose one venue it would be the Thames, love it!

Reaction score
Love that too,but the flow(or lack of during summer) and boats take the edge off it for me...

steve2

Reaction score
If I could have one type and turn the clock back it would be the small stream fishing of my younger days. Now it would be light lure fishing on a river for chub and perch.

ian g

Reaction score
I'd probably chose the middle Severn , as Phillip said about his river the mystery of rivers draws me . I'm not sure I would be able to cope with just one type of water though as variety is the spice of life for me and I enjoy fishing canals and the Cheshire/Shropshire meres.

Keith M

Reaction score
I would choose a small streamy river like this catching Barbel, Chub, Roach & Dace plus the occasional Grayling, Carp and large perch:

Pic: My favourite stream.

Mind you it would probably be a real tossup between the stream and my local estate lake catching Tench, Carp, Crucians and chasing shoals of large Rudd around the lilly beds.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
River - no hesitation.............

PS One of my locals, 10 minutes walk across the fields

ise118june19.jpg

Last edited: