First time pole fishing

chrissh

Reaction score
I have fished with a pole or whip in my hole fishing life

But I have been watching YouTube a lot lately and can seen the benefits of one

My question is what sort of pole would you recommend for a first time user fishing on a pond and canal for roach, crucians, bream, trench none of the fish go over 6lb in weight

What would you recommend?

I don’t want to go spending mega bucks and again I don’t want a cheap eBay kit on a pole in case I don’t get on with that type of fishing

rayner

Reaction score
The range of poles for a first time user is massive, quality is a lot better now for cheaper poles than it was just a few years ago.
Work out your budget and the length you need before just emptying your wallet. Just 50 quid could buy you a usable pole right up to as much as you want to spend. The list is endless of what could be recommended.
Best to go to your local tackle shop for advice regarding poles Chris.
I have hundreds of winders some made up with rigs Chris, you are welcome to some.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
All I would say is go for longest your budget allows,
You may think a 9 metre maver reality at 70 quid is good, but after a while you may want to fish at longer lengths, and therefore you have to buy again.
A good 13 metre with a few topkits is a good starter, or if you know someone knowledgeable, go down 2and hand route, say budget is ,£250 you will get a better 2and pole for that than a brand new one.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I have fished with a pole or whip in my hole fishing life

But I have been watching YouTube a lot lately and can seen the benefits of one

My question is what sort of pole would you recommend for a first time user fishing on a pond and canal for roach, crucians, bream, trench none of the fish go over 6lb in weight

What would you recommend?

I don’t want to go spending mega bucks and again I don’t want a cheap eBay kit on a pole in case I don’t get on with that type of fishing

Hey....... firstly you really need to buy a pole that suits your venues you fish...... you’ve said ponds and canals so I’m guessing 13m would be ample in length..... always try to buy as long as possible as you never know when you might need it but unless you’re into match fishing I wouldn’t go buying 16m poles because you will probably be paying more money not to use it !!!!!!
Second thing I would look at is spares you get with it.......
Three kits should be ample to start with two power tops and a match kit...... also a cupping kit makes a nice addition.....
A good starting point is to buy a popular brand as spares are readily available in case you damage the pole......
Bare in mind the more you pay for a pole the more the spares cost...... a top end Daiwa pole spare section can cost £300 alone...
The fish you’ve mentioned fits nicely into standard carp pole with a match kit plus two power kits remember buying a silver fish only pole may limit you to the venues you fish .......
About eight or 10 years ago I bought a Maver medusa 14.5m pole it has three kits and a cupping kit plus a dolly but section that fits onto the 13 and 14 m section..... it also came in a rod bag...
I rarely use it over 13m but on occasion the 14.5m comes in handy......
I also bought an extra tip kit some time after to up my options on the bank.
This pole is a middle of the road pole but handles anything from a few ounces to 20lb carp......
It’s also surprising how light and stiff it is for a mid range pole....
If you decide on a pole but it’s high in price buying a second hand one is a good option..... just be careful it has no damage or splits in it ..... if in doubt walk away there’s plenty out there for sale...
Hope this helps

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Hey....... firstly you really need to buy a pole that suits your venues you fish...... you’ve said ponds and canals so I’m guessing 13m would be ample in length..... always try to buy as long as possible as you never know when you might need it but unless you’re into match fishing I wouldn’t go buying 16m poles because you will probably be paying more money not to use it !!!!!!
Second thing I would look at is spares you get with it.......
Three kits should be ample to start with two power tops and a match kit...... also a cupping kit makes a nice addition.....
A good starting point is to buy a popular brand as spares are readily available in case you damage the pole......
Bare in mind the more you pay for a pole the more the spares cost...... a top end Daiwa pole spare section can cost £300 alone...
The fish you’ve mentioned fits nicely into standard carp pole with a match kit plus two power kits remember buying a silver fish only pole may limit you to the venues you fish .......
About eight or 10 years ago I bought a Maver medusa 14.5m pole it has three kits and a cupping kit plus a dolly but section that fits onto the 13 and 14 m section..... it also came in a rod bag...
I rarely use it over 13m but on occasion the 14.5m comes in handy......
I also bought an extra tip kit some time after to up my options on the bank.
This pole is a middle of the road pole but handles anything from a few ounces to 20lb carp......
It’s also surprising how light and stiff it is for a mid range pole....
If you decide on a pole but it’s high in price buying a second hand one is a good option..... just be careful it has no damage or splits in it ..... if in doubt walk away there’s plenty out there for sale...
Hope this helps

Thanks for your help paul
It would be fishing at Barlow, kiveton and the old police lake on Straight Mile plus chesterfield canal, im thinking on spending £100 - £200

Paste paul

Reaction score
It would be fishing at Barlow, kiveton and the old police lake on Straight Mile plus chesterfield canal, im thinking on spending £100 - £200

I’ve fished straight mile once ....... they were using long floating poles ....... not my cup of tea I caught on the bomb !!
I’ve fished kiverton a few times years ago from memory it was a typical commercial water .......
There is a lady on Facebook from Bradford who sells second hand poles ( I’ve never bought from her) Helen Back I think her name is and they seem to be decent deals...... the last few were £175 each I think she posts them too! I nearly bought one but it had sold......it would be with a look.......

Paste paul

Reaction score
If you’re not in a rush there is a cracking book by Mark wintle called pole fishing this is worth its weight in gold ...... it may help you decide!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I’ve fished straight mile once ....... they were using long floating poles ....... not my cup of tea I caught on the bomb !!
I’ve fished kiverton a few times years ago from memory it was a typical commercial water .......
There is a lady on Facebook from Bradford who sells second hand poles ( I’ve never bought from her) Helen Back I think her name is and they seem to be decent deals...... the last few were £175 each I think she posts them too! I nearly bought one but it had sold......it would be with a look.......

There have been mixed reports recently of the facebook seller, personally I would steer clear, plus you are buying blind,
For £200 I would try 2nd hand route with someone knowledgeable , Dont be put off by spares prices, it is only larger sections on expenpensive poles that cost a lot, a number 4 for mine is around £100 if I shop around. there are universal topkits that can be adapted to fit most poles, I have a UK made Daiwa, will go to 17.5 metres but rarely go above 14, the extra sections are there if needed ,such as on Bridgewater canal or snake lakes on commercials,
Google best pole for you budget, or phone Tony Troth at fisherman's friend in birmingham, he does discontinued models at a decent price.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Chris get well soon mate; I can see this long lockdown is taking its toll.:rolleyes:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Pity you weren't after one a couple of months ago.
I sold a 16 metre Garbolino gmax800 with 7 topkits a couple of spare number 4,s and cupping kit for £200. There are bargains out there if you look.
Best advice is steer clear of selling sites unless you get to see the goods first.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Yes it’s a good point see before you buy I guess !
There are some genuine people out there though.....
My mate bought a Maver top end pole from a guy in Barnsley and he says it’s the best pole he ever bought......
Funny thing was he stood on it when we were on an outing .......
He’s now bought a browning z something....... it cost thousands..... he loves it though......
Personally I’d never take it out in fear of breaking it !!!!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Upto 13 metres there is not much difference between a top end pole and mid range, it's when you add the extra sections at the back it can be noticeable, balance,tip recovery ,weight.
A pole can be heavier than another, but better balanced and feel lighter, you dont want one that feels top heavy , meaning it feels heavy at the tip end.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

Give me a couple of hours, and I will find the model name of a 13 metre Daiwa I recommended to a few people, they are pleased with it, I think you get 4 topkits ,and is around ,£200.
This is not a cheap pole in the sense of rubbish, it is a good quality pole at a good price. , It will handle carp over the size you mention, but also is a good pole for silvers. And is fine for the venues you mentioned.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

The pole is a Daiwa Power Carp. ,its Not the X version
You get 4 topkits , holdall ,section aligned on the pole, The topkits are reinforced to take drilling for side pullers if required,
I would use one of the topkits as a cupping kit, the other 3 I would elastic with double number 5, a 8/10 and a 14. This will cover all your requirements, do not be put off by the carp name, it will handle big carp but also silvers and tench..
Fishing republic have got them in stock for £249, interest free credit if required. , can order online and get free postage ,the pole and topkits come in tubes in supplied holdall.
I hope this helps

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Not got that yet , the pole I was going to get you had to much damage to a couple of sections and a broken topkit
I knew someone who had the same pole, with some dodgy sections,who was just starting fishing.so I got it for him and he made one pole out of the two.