Simple tips.

rayner

Reaction score
A little tip I find useful is I have a jig for making pole rigs, a piece of 1"x1" timber 1 metre long with map pins in either end I find handy for forming rig lengths. I don't like guesswork.

John Keane

Reaction score
A little tip I find useful is I have a jig for making pole rigs, a piece of 1"x1" timber 1 metre long with map pins in either end I find handy for forming rig lengths. I don't like guesswork.

I measure out nylon by my arm span, 3ft to centre of chest, 4ft to opposite shoulder, 6ft full “wingspan”

The old adage of your armspan is the same as your height is actually very accurate.

rayner

Reaction score
I measure out nylon by my arm span, 3ft to centre of chest, 4ft to opposite shoulder, 6ft full “wingspan”

The old adage of your armspan is the same as your height is actually very accurate.

That would be a stretch too far for me, I only have one useable hand/arm. It's not an issue for me now I've been this way for twenty years.
Doesn't help when it comes to measuring though. A short 1mtr wood piece works for me.
It used to be a bit of a pain but practise in most things makes them achievable.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Put dots of tippex every 6" on topkits and make a note where float and hook are in relation to them. Then if float get pulled up the line if get taken in to rushes, it is easy to go back to original depth. Or if you want to change rigs to same depth, again easy to check.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If plumbing up against far bank with a pole, once you have the depth set, go back across with plummet attached, keep pole tip up so plummet about 3" off the bottom and move pole tip left and right slowly, sometimes you will find carp shoaled up in the area by the line brushing against them. They may move off but a couple of pots of feed brings them back. Or try sobbing slow sinking bread, or corn skins to see if any interested.

rayner

Reaction score
Put dots of tippex every 6" on topkits and make a note where float and hook are in relation to them. Then if float get pulled up the line if get taken in to rushes, it is easy to go back to original depth. Or if you want to change rigs to same depth, again easy to check.

Good tip, something lots of anglers don't do.
I use a chinagraph pen exactly the same idea. It's very similar to using the rod guides for measuring waggler depths.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I can’t find my plummet I use a large SSG shot pinched over my hook.

I use tippex on my Whips and Poles to mark the depths as it is easily removed after a session and I use the rod rings on my float rods to remember the depth after a break.

If Im using a light link leger (half ounce or less) then I usually use a small rubber stop on my line which can be adjusted easily to lengthen or to shorten the hooklength without any damage to my line.

Keith

rayner

Reaction score
If I can’t find my plummet I use a large SSG shot pinched over my hook.

Keith
The SSG pinched on the hook was how I used to do it.
In the opening post, I mentioned using a bait band on an SSG shot for plummeting up on a waggler, a tip from a Des Ship vid.
you must have missed it.

rayner

Reaction score
It's so simple I can't believe it never occurred to me, I've nipped on an SSG since god knows when. Bands are really simple and a lot less messing.

lureed

Reaction score
Instead of a plummet, I use neodymium magnets. You can buy them in lots of shapes and sizes quite cheaply, and just need to "clamp" sufficient pieces either side of the hook to suit the conditions. This also ensures the hook is precisely on the deck. They are also handy if you drop something metallic like hooks or swivels in grass; just sweep over with a couple of magnets and it usually picks them up. I'm sure there are also other uses for them I haven't thought of yet (even outside of fishing!).

yorkieman

Reaction score
Nothing to do with loading wranglers... that's definitely Fleming's Left Hand Rule !!

rayner

Reaction score
I use float stops on my whip rigs, one either side of the float as normal with a large gap between two stops 12 to 18 inch.
The gap helps to sink the line easier, chasing fish in the swim is also easier by just moving the top stop up or down.
An inevitable occurrence for the fish to continually come up then back down when whip fishing.

seth49

Reaction score
Noticed a few posts on securing sliding reel holders, this is what I do it’s neat and efficient with nothing sticking out either, I use a couple of rubber O rings either side of the holders as shown.
CA6484AB-89ED-42B8-8C2F-C2B11E2EC5E7.jpg,

If you roll the O rings up the handle, they want to go to there resting shape, so they move in steps of about half an inch, so if you place it about a quarter of an inch from the holder it butts up against it and holds it place, as shown below placed were they are when rolled up the cork they finish as shown in top photo.
0ABA1285-76D3-495F-8C10-539C505CEA62.jpg
I have done this for a few years with no problems.

Another thing I do is mark the male and female ferrules when the rod is correctly assembled and it’s easy to line the rings up next time, just line the marks up.

lureed

Reaction score
Yes, wetthrough, I use it with running line. I don't tend to fish at great distances, but as long as you don't overdo it, it should work wherever.

rayner

Reaction score
To prevent your quiver tip breaking through wrap arounds keep the tip bent slightly with a tight line when loading the feeder or netting fish. The wind is a pain sometimes with lines.
Saves having to keep checking the line hasn't wrapped.

rayner

Reaction score
There's a strange gadget in tackle shops called a pellet wetter, put your pellets in soak then remove.
Does that make my pellet wetter obsolete? My pellet wetter was my landing net :doh:What do I do now.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
There's a strange gadget in tackle shops called a pellet wetter, put your pellets in soak then remove.
Does that make my pellet wetter obsolete? My pellet wetter was my landing net :doh:What do I do now.

Use wifes tights as pellet wetter, .....make sure wife is not wearing them at the time, and your plastic pellet wetter as a colander.

rayner

Reaction score
Use wifes tights as pellet wetter, .....make sure wife is not wearing them at the time, and your plastic pellet wetter as a colander.

That would cost more than my life, I'll stick to my landing net, it's worked for years I'll not tell it about the little wetters.