Your plans for Wednesday

rayner

Reaction score
I have a good selection of pull-string bags that could be used to carry at least two dog biscuits that could be thrown under any bridges to keep the trolls there. It could give us a bit of peace.:clap::clap:

John Keane

Reaction score
I have a good selection of pull-string bags that could be used to carry at least two dog biscuits that could be thrown under any bridges to keep the trolls there. It could give us a bit of peace.:clap::clap:

Just drop a mirror down and they’ll happily argue with themselves all day.

tommos16

Reaction score
Well I’ll be disappearing into the woods, a good six mile walk from my house to a little pond I know of that couldn’t be more isolated.

Punch/mashed bread,sweetcorn, pepperami incase the carp have survived and some fake maggots. Rigs are tied, bag is prepped, I’m going bankside for as long as I can and fingers crossed won’t see another soul.

Don’t care if I catch or not though truth be told

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Krang

Reaction score
Well I’ll be disappearing into the woods, a good six mile walk from my house to a little pond I know of that couldn’t be more isolated.

Punch/mashed bread,sweetcorn, pepperami incase the carp have survived and some fake maggots. Rigs are tied, bag is prepped, I’m going bankside for as long as I can and fingers crossed won’t see another soul.

Don’t care if I catch or not though truth be told

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously catching is good but for me too the main thing is just being out fishing again. I'm just about to start packing. May be a great day. The zander won't have seen a lure for months and the twonks that electro fish them out each spring have hopefully been furloughed.

David Gane

Reaction score
Not that I'll be heading out for a little while longer, but I'm wondering how many idiots are going to be on the river despite the closed season.

sam vimes

Reaction score

mikench

Reaction score
I know now where I’m going tomorrow and just hope I have the place nearly to myself. I cannot resist and have prepared a veritable cornucopia of baits but no live maggots.

Tigger if you are looking in you know where I mean. :rolleyes:

steve2

Reaction score
Message from another club, waters will remain closed until it's safe to reopen them. This is down to swims being too close together, they will have to close some, working out how restrict numbers and how to unlock and open the gates safely. Also need to an answer to is overnight fishing allowed.

steve2

Reaction score
I spent yesterday at my mother in laws funeral. There were 30 funerals booked in for yesterday and according to the vicar that is now normal, the majority down to Covid 19. While we were there bodies were still arriving for the temporary morgue.
So if anyone thinks this virus won't catch them while they are out fishing think again.
Yesterday brought home that this virus is out there and it's not going away.
Stay safe, is catching a fish worth your life.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I just spoke with my retired surgeon friend on the phone, he speaks to a lot of his colleagues and has his finger on the pulse so to speak. He says this lessening of the lock down is too early with the death rate still in the 600's and the infection rate still high. I am not saying anyone should not go fishing, it is a low risk activity and if your youngish and fit then risk it if you want, I probably would be the same as many of you are. But for me at 66 and ex major heart surgery it is not worth me risking it for the sake of a roach, it is still increasing that risk. I am not being pessimistic just practical and sensible in my opinion. I will feel happier about it when the death rate falls below 100 and stays that way for a couple of weeks and the infection rate has dropped considerably, then I might relax a bit. Also what influences me is I have seen people die on ventilators, losing control of their bowels the lot and it is not a way I will risk going no mater how small that risk is.
The same for my retired surgeon friend, he is in total lock down and has been told to stay that way for a bit longer. But again he is 83 and a weakened immune system through medical procedures he has had. This is my point, everyone has different things to consider; and just because the powers at be have said it is OK, I just do not trust their analysis, which is influenced to much by other factors in my opinion.
But, as I have said, everyone has to make their own judgement depending on factors that pertain to them; if you have weighed them all up and if you feel OK about it go and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I don't fish in the Close Season for coarse fish so it is not really a problem for me. I have, on one or two occasions, fished an old FM match that was in memory of the Son of one of our (then) long term members, but that was the only exception.

I do fly fish for trout and grayling after May 1st, but to be honest I will wait until the infection and death rates are much lower than they are currently before I venture to the river.

Back in 2010 I contracted Legionairre's disease (which is form of pneumonia) and was in an induced coma in ICU for 16 days. After another 2 weeks in ICU I then spent 2 more months in a general ward but on dialysis. In that time I lost a third of my body weight and had to learn to walk again once allowed out of bed.

Life in ICU was indescribable to be honest.
You'd wake in the morning to see an empty bed opposite where last night there was a patient but now just a couple of nurses stripping the bed and cleaning everything, and one or to Indonesian nurses would perform a little ceremony for the previous occupant.

I was actually scared of going to sleep at night not knowing if I'd wake again in the morning . . . . and spent many a night laying there talking to the nurse.

Armed with those experiences I can tell you that no trout, grayling or coarse fish is worth risking a repeat of those dark days and nights; as much as I love my fishing I love life far more.

To those who have decided that they have to fish, regardless, then I hope that all you catch are . . . . . fish

sam vimes

Reaction score
Do as you see fit, preferably without hectoring others if they choose a different path. We all live in different circumstances and what's right for you may not be right for others.

If health care professional anecdotes are the order of the day, here's a couple for you. My sister is a working nurse, admittedly, and thankfully, not on ICU, COVID ward or infected nursing home, but she's actually bored witless at work, along with many of her colleagues. Considering that cyclists never stopped travelling as far as they like, for as long as they like, she's amazed that people couldn't go fishing prior to today.

In a similar vein, the building I live in also houses a doctor that works in the local ICU. He has no interest in fishing, but knows I do. He was also surprised that I wasn't doing any fishing. Frankly, his presence in the building is part of the reason why I'll have little concern about the prospect of going fishing. The cocoon I'm supposedly wrapped in at home is far more of a risk than me going fishing is.

Krang

Reaction score
Will certainly be maintaining social distancing today and will be giving disapproving looks to anybody who isn't.

seth49

Reaction score
Still think I’m more at risk shopping, than going fishing in the fresh air, if it’s busy I have two more ponds near, and if there busy I’ll just go home, hoping to be there at dawn so should be ok. A lot don’t turn up while after nine am.

rayner

Reaction score
The day's here for those wishing to wet a line, I'll abstain for at least another five weeks that's when my shielding ends.
I have doubts I will join with those fishing then. The end of the year may be a better option for me.
My immune system is greatly reduced through medication following a solid organ transplant,
I've been very careful with my health sticking religiously to advise from the medics, to risk the effort by the NHS to keep me in good enough shape over the last twenty years would be more than foolish.
I'd love to be on the bank but too risky by far for me at the moment, my fishing will be on this forum for now.

steve2

Reaction score
Going to a funeral reminds you that an estimated 50,000 dead people thought Covid19 wouldn't infect them. We appear to have been lucky on this website that of us have been infected, hopefully it will remain so
Enjoy your fishing I'll wait a bit longer.

Last edited: