Slowing down

terry m

Reaction score
At no time, since this virus arrived on these shores, have I envied the politicians and their scientific advisers, in their task of navigating us through this pandemic. It seems to me that shrill voices rise in protest no matter what their decision and however they attempt to communicate it. Nor can I really judge how many of the Prime Minister's associates are odious - my personal opinion is that his chief rival for the post may have had some far nastier friends; but each to their own.

All governments will have made some mistakes in addressing the situation. All humanity will need to learn from them.

I do not believe that we have seen the last of this disease by any means. Indeed, I fear that it might account for me at some stage. My main priority (which has seemed to be in line with government policy) has been to do what I can to avoid putting medical staff at risk on my behalf, whilst acknowledging that many conscientious people have had to risk their lives, literally to deliver that outcome.

Even within my own household, there are differences of opinion concerning the rigor with which we should continue to try to observe lockdown. I can hardly expect the government to satisfy us all. The suggestion that we will soon have access to a reliable antibody test will make a huge difference but there will be a distinction between those fortunate enough to have survived acquisition of the antibodies and those that will still need help dealing with the fact that they do not yet have them. We will need a great deal of patience and a great deal of luck. Most of all, we will need people to behave like grown-ups. Sadly, I suspect some of the shrillest criticism of government policy is shaped by some people's continued response to its position on withdrawal from the European Union. It's just my opinion, but I do not consider that to be adult behaviour. Or constructive.

Insightful and thoughtful post Clod. You should post more frequently.

Monday morning quarterbacks, less so.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's an interesting post, granted. But for all it's judicious air, it contains claims that are no less contentious than any other post. One is that "shrill voices" would criticise regardless, which makes it appear that any scrutiny and criticism are groundless and empty. The second is that criticism of the handling of the crisis - and let's not forget that it comes from all sources from the Sun to The Lancet - is driven by opponents of Brexit. You could say, it's another example of how we disapprove of others' politics, while smuggling in our own?

mikench

Reaction score
I suspect some of the shrillest criticism of government policy is shaped by some people's continued response to its position on withdrawal from the European Union.

If that isn't political i don't know what is; it's also hypocritical. I do not have a shrill voice but I do know what the word politics means and share a view with many non anglers that it isn't working as it should and to the detriment of our health and our lives. I just hope that those who choose to either praise it or ignore it live to debate fishing matters in the future .